Great West ranked #2 Conf. in the Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great West ranked #2 Conf. in the Nation

The Great West is ranked as the #2 I-AA Conference in the nation by both Sagarin and Massey. Not bad for a brand new conference!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagar...bD1KCjofGJkJGV

http://www.mratings.com/rate/cfIAA-m...bD1KCjofGJkJGV

Go State, Go Great West! ;D

Re: Great West ranked #2 Conf. in the Nation

That's great news!! 8)

I would imagine that should help out the scheduling for getting some bigger names to play us, possibly some IA schools soon.

I don't think it could be going anybetter for SDSU football this year. Well it could, but they gone above and beyond my expectations.

GO STATE!!

Comment

My guess is it is going to be tough to get 1A schools until we get the scholies up to the needed avg. Maybe will get a couple though, hopefully.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Could you fill me in on the Scholarship req.

Is this an official rule or rule of thumb and what is the reasoning?

Thanks,

Comment

I believe you have to avg 60 scholarships for three years so that a 1A team can count the game towards bowl requirements.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Once every 4 years a I-A team can count a I-AA win towards it's wins needed to qualify for a bowl. For the I-AA to count it must have avg. 60 scholarships for the last three years.

That being said if the I-A doesn't need to win to count to be bowl eligible then they can schedule who they want. Example: K-State schedules a I-AA every year because they want the extra $$$ a home game provides. They will win 6 I-A games easily so they don't care that the I-AA game does not count towards bowl eligibility.

This is a tough one to wrap your arms around, so if you need further clarification let me know. Bottom line is SDSU could play an I-A that wants to schedule us. It is just easier once you have 60 scholarships.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I should have deferred to you from the start. I knew there nothing requiring the 60, but wasn't exactly sure how it worked. My guess is that even tho we could get scheduled, it will be much harder until we get to that level. If a 1A is looking for 1AA, they probably look at bowl eligibles first.

however, the conference rankings will do nothing but help. Not only in getting games, but recruiting as well.

Comment

1stRow,

Not at all, you were right, I just went into more detail (we were posting at roughly the same time, I hadn't even seen your post).  We have talked about this subject a ton on both our board and the Bison board.  It is one of the reasons that NDSU has added so many scholarships so fast, while the rest of us (UC-Davis, UNC, and SDSU) are taking a little more time to build up.  We will get there, and won't it be fun playing a K-State, or Nebraska, or Minnesota for a big pay day.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Thanks!! Much clearer.

Heck yes it will be sweet when we get throttled by UN or Kstate but get paid $$$$$$ 8)

Comment

1-AA is only a stop on the way to 1-A. Something will shake out in the next 3 to 5 years!!!!! :

Comment

Working...
                    X