PDA

View Full Version : Cal-Poly

89rabbit
08-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Here is a link to the Cal-Poly prospectus for all you true football junkies. ;)

http://www.calpolymustangs.com/football/mens/2003/news/2004SpringProspectus.pdf

Go State, beat the Mustangs! ;D

89rabbit
08-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Story coming out of Central California. Looks like the Mustangs are fired up for this coming season.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispotribune/9371561.htm

High expectations

Cal Poly expects a run at the conference title and possibly a national title this season

Brian Milne

The Tribune

BY BRIAN MILNE

The Tribune

In his first three years at Cal Poly, Rich Ellerson would've hunted down the player who uttered the two forbidden words and "kicked his tail up and down the field."

But this year, his fourth at the helm of the football program, Ellerson holds back a proud smile when he hears his veterans are saying they expect to compete for a "national championship" this fall.

Believe it or not, the Mustangs -- who have never been to the 16-team Division I-AA playoffs -- report to training camp today with a mountain of optimism, a good degree of preseason hype and expectations that are higher than they've ever been in the Ellerson era.

"The older guys expect to win a national championship," said senior strong guard Jessie Bender, light years removed from Larry Welsh's 3-8 team he was part of as a freshman. "We know you have to put (the season) together piece by piece, but we feel we have the kind of team that can win our conference and win all of our playoff games. If we don't get our championship, we're going to be disappointed."

Disappointed because of how close the Mustangs were to making the playoffs last season.

Disappointed because this year's team returns 47 players from a 2003 team that went 7-4, including preseason All-Americans Jordan Beck and Darrell Jones on each side of the ball.

Disappointed because all but six players (all freshmen) stuck around this summer to work out and prepare for the 2004 campaign -- despite the fact that Cal Poly cut nearly all of its summer classes.

"There's a buzz around the guys this year because of how hard we worked this summer," said Cal Poly junior John Mende, a slight frontrunner for the starting quarterback job. "We had so many guys better themselves this summer and that's why this team has a better chance than any team we've ever had to compete for a national title."

Praising the summer workout regimen and the work of strength and condition coach Chris Holder is nothing new for Mustang players this time of year.

The team credited Holder up and down for his work last September when the Mustangs ran circles around Texas-El Paso in the season opener.

But what's different about the praise this year is that it's coming from all the players. Eighty-five players stuck around this summer as opposed to forty something last summer and less than 25 the year before. . . .

So what exactly did Holder do to these guys?

For one, he helped implement a four-day workout schedule that included nearly two hours of weightlifting and an hour of running or speed work each day. Some days there was more lifting. Some days there was more running. Most of the time, there was more of everything.

All of the above has laid the foundation for what Mustangland hopes is a championship season.

"We're a team that had a good year and we know we can be good again this season," Ellerson said. "We know it's not going to be easy, but the guys know what it's going to take to succeed. They've gone about their offseason the right way, now it's time to see if those are realistic expectations."

Those expectations aren't solely the players'. Although, they might not come right out and say it, the Mustangs coaching staff has lofty expectations, too. As do the coaches around the newly-formed Great West Football Conference, selecting Cal Poly to win the conference crown in the inaugural season. . . .

I have now read stories about the Jackrabbits (SDSU), Jaguars (Southern University) and Mustangs (Cal-Poly) and their summer strength programs. Glad to see we were ahead of the power curve on this one, looks like it is important.

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
08-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Here is a link to a break down of each position on the team for true football junkies.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispotribune/sports/9371560.htm

89rabbit
08-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Good story, comming out of Mustang land, about the option offense where it is today and where it is going. We will face two option teams this season in Cal-Poly and Georgia Southern. Good read.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/9467044.htm

Posted on Sun, Aug. 22, 2004

Optioned out

Nebraska has dropped the option offense. National powerhouses like USC and Miami wouldn't even consider it. So why do colleges like Cal Poly cling to a system that's no longer in vogue?

Brian Milne

The Tribune

Take a glance at Cal Poly co-offensive coordinator Ian Shield's resume and you'd think option football is the scheme of the millennium:

St. Mary's, 2000-02 -- Coached a spread-option offense that ranked fourth in Division I-AA rushing each season.

Bucknell, 2003 -- Coordinated a spread option that led the Patriot League in rushing, passing efficiency and turnover margin.

Cal Poly, 2004 -- In his first year at the helm of the Mustangs' spread-option attack.

But look outside the cult that is option football -- or in this case, Shield's reference list -- and you'll see the option has become the California condor of the football kingdom. An endangered species in this new era of college football where the pass sells and the option no longer compels.

Sure, a majority of the teams in college football have a couple option plays stuffed in the back of their playbooks. But out of 117 Division I-A schools, only three still devote their entire offensive package to the option. Air Force, Navy and Rice are the only teams still drawing from the old wishbone offense that became popularized by the likes of Texas and Oklahoma three decades ago.

In Division I-AA, the option is a bit more common, with six-time national champion Georgia Southern among the handful of schools still running a form of the wishbone.

So why do the same coaches who agree the option is one of the most difficult schemes to defend, refuse to run it?

Look no further than the National Football League, where Cal Poly head coach Rich Ellerson jokes, "There must be a law or something that prevents them from running it."

Seems that way, with pass-happy schemes becoming all the rage and the option becoming nearly obsolete. . . .

Tons more to read, but too long for the board so hit the web site and read it all.

Go State, beat the Mustangs and Eagles ( purveyors of the option offense)! ;D

GOEWU
08-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the info...you guys see them on 10/2 while Eastern Washington plays them on 11/6. I've never seen Cal Poly so that info is some good stuff!

89rabbit
09-28-2004, 07:08 AM
Well it is time to turn our attention to the Mustangs of Cal-Poly. The guys are going to have to turn it up a notch as the Mustangs are 3-0 and ranked #13 in the Nation. They also had a bye last week so they have had extra time to get ready for us (or get rusty ;) ).

Here is the offical Cal-Poly site:

http://www.calpolymustangs.com/football/mens/index.html

Here is link to the Cal-Poly fan board:

http://p205.ezboard.com/fcalpolymustangsfrm2

SDSUFAN
09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
From SDSU's offical website, here is the outlook for this Saturday's game with Cal Poly. You need Adobe Reader to look at this file.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Information/DataInstances/9326/Files/33705/FB_92804.pdf

Chris_Kelly
09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Here is my outlook: I wish it were more favorable on the Jacks, but this defense is damn good. We'll see what happens.

http://greatwestfootball.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092904aaa.html

SDSUFAN
09-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Chris:

I think you did a good job in your analysis and to me it was informative. I have not read that much about Cal Poly. I haven't a clue on how this flex defense works, so the stats dont lie in regards to Cal Poly. They are a good team, and wins over ISU and MSU are impressive.

We can only hope and pray our staff has made a thorough analysis of the game films received from Cal Poly. Coach Stig said in the SU post game show that they had spotted the ability to run against SU and that is why they were able to have that 90 yard drive to start the second half. Hopefully our coaches will see something this week to and adjust accordingly. Right now I am of the opinion that the coaching changes amongst the asisstants are an improvement over those who left the program and went on to Southwest State. Not to pick on personalities but the new guys have about the same amount of football savy if not more and more fire in the belly as far as getting the guys up for the game.

I think the UCD game was one in where SDSU came in so intimidated. The game was lost on the first 19 plays of the game. UCD was up 31-0 after 19 plays and had won the game. To UCD's credit they kept us away from the goal line for the rest of the game, but we also saw that Andy Kardoes, second string QB, could step in if Nelson goes down. Plus he is more of a running QB than Nelson.

I sure they are going to do everything possible to prevent this type of situation that occurred in the first game from happening again.

I might disagree with the score you picked, but we will have to play the game Saturday to see what really happens.

Chris_Kelly
09-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Good post, SDSU fan.

It will be an interesting game. I've talked to some poeple who see the game a little closer 7-10 points.

Honestly, Cal Poly is not a team that's going to blow teams out, their offense doesn't allow for that. What does happen is that the defense forces so many mistakes that they play good offense. They score defensively, and they put their O in good position to score. That is exactly what SDSU must do to win. They must win on the offensive side of the ball to make a short field. If they are consistently starting from inside their 25 or 30 it will be difficult to score.

It's all about the Jacks O-line this week, as I highly doubt Watson will average more than 3.0 yards per carry.

bisonguy
09-29-2004, 03:05 PM
CK,

Is Cal-Poly's option attack a flexbone, ala Georgia Southern?

If so, it will provide some great experience for the Jacks later in the season.

OK_Jackrabbit
09-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Chris: I think you're doing a great job of analyzing each game. I look forward to your weekly outlook and have learned a lot about the teams in the conference and about the bigger D1AA picture. No doubt Cal-Poly will be a tough test for the Jacks. It has been interesting to watch this Jackrabbit team grow and adapt (with some really good coaching making the difference, I think) over the last three weeks.

I do think this is a different team than the one that came into Davis a few weeks ago, confidence-wise. I'm sure they will perform better this time, but we'll see how much better. The Jacks seem to be at enough of a disadvantage, from an athletic-ability and speed standpoint, that they really need to play smart and with confidence to have success.

It seems like every week from here on out (with the possible exception of Augustana) brings a tougher challenge. All in all, this is sure a lot more interesting and exciting than yet another DII season playing the same old teams in the NCC would have been.

89rabbit
09-29-2004, 05:10 PM
All in all, this is sure a lot more interesting and exciting than yet another DII season playing the same old teams in the NCC would have been.

Amen, Brother! :D

Go State! ;D

IowaBison
09-30-2004, 08:38 AM
All in all, this is sure a lot more interesting and exciting than yet another DII season playing the same old teams in the NCC would have been.

what are the bison, chopped liver?

OK_Jackrabbit
09-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Last time I checked, NDSU is no longer in the NCC or DII.

Nobody here has disrespected NDSU. It's a fine school with a great program, and we're glad to have them as our partners as we leave the NCC and move up to D1.

SDSUFAN
09-30-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree with OK Jackrabbit. I dont think he meant to put down the mighty Bison by any means. The Bison are on the schedule and that is what makes this year special.

IowaBison
09-30-2004, 11:21 AM
that was my fault i should have put a smiley face by it ;)

i hope we stay on each other's schedule and develop a rivalry, enter the Big Sky together, and so on and that kind of thing

Jacks99
09-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Agreed, look forward to a good rivalry every year.

I also expect it to be a more respectable rivalry than our last ones with the U and Augie.

AKA - throwing the animals on the court. Because man, Bison are Darn heavy!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Rabbitlivinginverm
09-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Sounds like Cal-Pol is going to shut down the run, no questions asked. If Brad can strecth the field it should open up the run. What's the story with their defense. It sounds better darn good. Do their linebackers blitz all the time, or what? I see that Beck has 4 sacks and 3 or 4 int's. If the do blitz, Davis, Solo, etc should get single coverage and I like our chances with that. Let's hope our O-line protects Brad and then he makes good decisions. Like Chris and everybody is saying we need to win the turnover battle. After the way we played last week, I feel we have a better shot that what everyone thinks.

BHSSDSUFAN
10-01-2004, 07:19 AM
The Jacks are heading for another tough road game ???.

I am happy for the Jacks win in LA. But I don't see them sneaking up on Poly our any other team for NOW.

Seems to me Stig coached teams always gets big wins every year, but what they haven't done is get back to back wins against good teams. They seem to have trouble winning the tough games consistantly. So until they prove me wrong Cal Poly 42 Jacks 18.

Go Jacks!

89rabbit
10-01-2004, 07:37 AM
I'm not going to be so bold as to predict a win over the #13 team in the nation at their place. However one thing that gives me hope is that Cal-Poly likes to run the ball and Coach Stig loves to stop the run and the Rabbits have done a good job of that so far this year. If our offense can play up to form, we could surprise more people this week. Good luck gentlemen.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Mustangs! ;D

jackmd
10-01-2004, 09:32 AM
This game is not about coming away with a W. We need to show up ready to play. Our offense must execute at a high level as they did at SU. Minimal turnover and penalties. Special teams (especially kick coverage) must show improvement. Finally, our defense needs to take the momentum of a 2nd half shoutout against SU and carry that into the 1st half vs Poly.

All that said, they are a better team right now. Especially on their home field. Best case, Jacks lead or it tied at the half. Final score in favor of Poly.

Give me 10 points and I'll take the Jacks.

IowaBison
10-01-2004, 09:48 AM
i think playing a solid game of football is the best the jack's can hope for, i'll pick 'em if somebody spots me 24.

89rabbit
10-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Story coming out of Cal-Poly:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/9809234.htm

Jackrabbits hoping to be golden

Brian Milne

The Tribune

It's not like the South Dakota State football team is dreading its trip to California.

The Jackrabbits don't have any Californians on their roster, so the players like the idea of spending a weekend near the beach.

Before this season, South Dakota had visited California just once in the last four decades. South Dakota State enjoyed that trip, beating UC Davis 17-7 in John Stiegelmeier's first year at the helm in 1997.

But the Jackrabbits' last trip to Golden State was anything but, well, golden.

UC Davis drilled South Dakota State 52-0 earlier this season in the Great West Conference opener for both schools.

On Saturday, South Dakota State (3-1 and 0-1 in conference) makes its return to California to face No. 13 Cal Poly (3-0) at 6 p.m. in Mustang Stadium.

It is the first meeting between the two Great West schools, and the Mustangs' first conference game at the Division I-AA level.

"We have an ugly memory of that state," said Stiegelmeier, 45-34 in his eight seasons at South Dakota State. "This is one of those times where you really try to preach to play in the present and forget about the past."

The Jackrabbits don't want to disregard the past entirely, at least the last three weeks. After their opening day drumming in Davis, South Dakota State responded with three straight victories, including their first win over a Division I-AA school last week at Southern (Louisiana). They've also beaten Division II schools Winona State (45-20) and Western Oregon (38-3).

"They've matured a lot," said Cal Poly coach Rich Ellerson. "Some of the things they were doing wrong (at UC Davis), they're not doing that anymore. They aren't wasting plays. The number of miscues are down. ... They're executing so much better now." . . .

But on Saturday, the Jackrabbits face a Cal Poly team that is ranked seventh among Division I-AA teams in the Jeff Sagarin power ratings, based on schedule strength and results against Division I teams. The Mustangs (5-0 after a bye in Ellerson's four years) also are coming off a bye week and rank in the top 20 in a handful of offensive and defensive categories. Cal Poly, trying to go 4-0 for the first time since 1997, is ranked second nationally in rushing defense (53.3 yards per game), ninth in rushing offense (253.7), 10th in total offense (445.4) and 11th in total defense (256.3).

"We really do think Cal Poly is an excellent football team," Stiegelmeier said. "They're definitely the team to beat in the Great West."

Not that South Dakota State isn't putting up some solid numbers in its first year of transition to Division I-AA after competing in the North Central Conference since 1922.

While the Mustangs have run the ball more than 70 percent of the time this season, the Jackrabbits utilize a balanced attack that has passed 135 times and rushed 143 times.

Quarterback Brad Nelson, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound senior, leads the South Dakota State offense, having completed 63 of 111 passes for 814 yards. He's thrown for 10 touchdowns, has been intercepted three times and has an efficiency rating of 142.68.

"He's really come along," Stiegelmeier said. "In the last game, he showed more grit and competitive desire than I've seen from him in any other game this year."

Josh Davis is Nelson's No. 1 target this season. The junior receiver has caught 24 balls for 377 yards and has five touchdown receptions.

"They use a lot of motion, which we haven't seen a whole lot of," Cal Poly free safety Kenny Chicoine. "They'll put (Davis) in the backfield. They'll line him up at flanker and all this other stuff. So they're going to be giving us all sorts of looks."

Anthony Watson, a 5-foot-10, 220-pound running back, is the team's rushing leader with 381 yards on 69 carries (5.5 yards per carry).

"They're a physically tough, hard-playing outfit," Ellerson said. "They're a team that's on a huge roll, so they're going to be a team that's hard to outhit and outhustle on Saturday."

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Mustangs! ;D

89rabbit
10-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Preview from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Saturdayarticle8.shtml

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (3-1, 0-1) at CAL POLY (3-0, 0-0)

WHEN/WHERE: 8 p.m. CDT, Mustang Stadium, San Luis Obispo, Calif.

RADIO: WNAX-AM 570

COACHES: SDSU, John Stiegelmeier (8th year, 45-34); Cal Poly, Rich Ellerson (4th year, 19-17).

LAST WEEK: Brad Nelson's 10-yard TD pass to Greg Peitz with less than five minutes to play gave SDSU a 31-24 road victory at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La. Cal Poly had a bye week.

RANKINGS: Cal Poly is ranked No. 13 in both the ESPN/USA Today and The Sports Network I-AA Top 25s. SDSU is unranked but received votes in both polls.

SERIES: First meeting.

ABOUT SDSU: How can you top beating the defending Black College national champs? The Jackrabbits hope it's by sustaining the momentum that has led them to three straight wins.

QB Nelson has continued to thrive, throwing for 223 yards and four touchdowns against Southern for SDSU's first win against a I-AA opponent. Take out a 3-for-13 performance for 21 yards against California-Davis in the Jacks' first game, and Nelson is averaging 264.3 yards a game, completing 60 of 98 passes (61.2 percent) in the last three games. He has thrown for 793 yards and all 10 TDs in those contests.

Nelson found WR Josh Davis 12 times for 138 yards last week, including a pair of scores. The junior from Omaha needs just 17 more catches to pass Jeff Tiefenthaler (173) for the SDSU career record and could reach the mark in the next two weeks.

Though Davis has again risen to the top of Nelson's target list, one of the quarterback's best attributes is that he spreads the ball to all his receivers. One needn't look any further than senior WR Solomon Johnson, who last week became only the 16th player in school history to reach the 100-catch mark for his career.

"They're on a roll," Ellerson said. "I respect how proficient they are. They know their system, they know their jobs. Their quarterback makes good decisions, and they run a variety of offensive sets."

Since being dismantled 52-0 at Cal Davis a month ago, the Jacks' defense has shown signs of improvement. SDSU trails only Cal Poly in stopping the run in the Great West, giving up just 66.5 per game, and its 304.8 yards a contest allowed is third-best in the new league.

"I think our defense has come along," Stiegelmeier said.

ABOUT CAL POLY: The Mustangs' option offense revolves around three interchangeable quarterbacks -- Cordel Webb, John Mende and Anthony Garnett.

Webb and Mende see most of the action and have combined 30-for-54 with four TDs and 528 yards. Sophomore Webb is more of a running threat, gaining 138 yards on 27 carries as the Mustangs average 253.7 yards a game on the ground.

"I don't know their leadership," Stiegelmeier said, "but it doesn't seem like they lose anything when they change quarterbacks."

However, the unbeaten Mustangs' Achilles heel could be turning the ball over. They have lost five of nine fumbles this year, and the top two QBs have thrown four interceptions combined.

"If we're going to be a good football team, we have to take care of the football," Ellerson said. "We've put our defense in some tough spots."

Even still, Cal Poly's defense -- led by linebacker Jordan Beck -- has responded. The Mustangs' 10 interceptions are tops in the Great West, and they have run four of those back. Beck is a 6-foot-2, 231-pound senior who is a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award for I-AA's best defensive player, and he has two INT returns for scores.

Cal Poly is allowing just 53.3 yards a game rushing and 256.3 yards a game, but the Mustangs give up 34.7 points a contest.

- Chris Solari

Go State! ;D

JBNJBQ
10-02-2004, 07:16 AM
One bad game at the beginning of the season with our Quarterback hurt and you girls have written off the team for the entire year! Give me a break!

SDSU 28

Cal Poly 20

Go Jacks!!!!

JBNJBQ

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 05:36 PM
It's just about game time. Let's go Rabbits!

Go State! ;D

jackmd
10-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I picked up a bottle of the J Lohr 7 Oaks Cabernet. Its very good (everyone should try it). Ready for kickoff, lets "git er done" (I really am a redneck at heart).

jackmd
10-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Listening to WNAX, are they playing Quiet Riot "*** on Feel the Noise"? Are we in the 70's?

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Hey don't make me any older then I am. Quite Riot is from the '80s. I remember listening to that on the Bobcat team bus during football season. Good stuff. ;)

Go State! ;D

jackmd
10-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey don't make me any older then I am. Quite Riot is from the '80s. I remember listening to that on the Bobcat team bus during football season. Good stuff. ;)

Go State! ;D

Not when a lame pep band (Poly's that is) is playing it.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 05:58 PM
agreed. ;D

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Fumble Cal-Poly, Jacks have it at the 35! ;D

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Argh. They gave us some points and we got nothing. If we are going to win this, we MUST capitalize on their mistakes.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Wow, 3 fumbles in the first quarter. Cal is playing sloppy. Good news for us!!

jackmd
10-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Another fumble. Lets not give it back!!! Jacks ball at the 35 again.

jackmd
10-02-2004, 06:20 PM
We gave it back, Poly ball at the 5 yard line. Lets get another stop.

bisonguy
10-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Option football is synonymous with putting the ball on the turf. Nicholls put the ball on the turf five times today against NDSU today.

SDSU just needs to jump on it and create the turnover.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Wow what an exchange. First the shank punt that hits Epps and then another fumble. We need to cash in one of these times.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Their D sounds pretty tough ???

jack100
10-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Defense is playing well - no first downs for the Jacks yet though.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 06:32 PM
But so does ours ;D

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 06:33 PM
At the end of 1st Qtr. SDSU 0 - Cal Poly 0.

Go State! ;D

Chris_Kelly
10-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Do you guys have a link to the audio?

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Here you go.

http://www.wnax.com/ListenLive.cfm

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 06:50 PM
This game is frustrating to listen to. :-/

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 06:51 PM
So far we are going toe to toe with the #13 team in the Nation. I will take that.

Go State! ;D

filbert
10-02-2004, 06:51 PM
This game is frustrating to listen to. :-/

Yup, football when defenses dominate isn't much fun to watch (or listen to). Which team breaks down first?

filbert
10-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Slowly losing the battle of field position . . . Cal Poly takes the punt to the Jacks 38 . . .

filbert
10-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Well, there goes the shutout! 7-0 Cal Poly.

filbert
10-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Ouch! Cal Poly punt return for a TD...

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 07:08 PM
How disappointing to play so well for so much of the half. Hope we can get it together for the second half.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 07:15 PM
At the half Cal-Poly 14 - SDSU 0.

filbert
10-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I say, come out in the 3rd quarter, run the hurry-up, no-huddle offense for a while, throw it all over the ballpark, and see what happens . . .

jackmd
10-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Can't win with special teams breakdowns. This is a recurring theme. Why can't we get this part of the game right?

filbert
10-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Can't win with special teams breakdowns. This is a recurring theme. Why can't we get this part of the game right?
Very difficult to win if the offense can't do anything. Puts more pressure on defense or special teams--eventually they'll break down.

Offense needs to change things around and make things happen.

1stRowFANatic
10-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Hey is the game on a delay? We went (had) to go out for supper and ESPN's ticker said that it was 27-10 Cal Poly with 14 minutes to go in the 4th.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 07:41 PM
No. ESPN must be mistaken.

filbert
10-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Just saw on ESPN S. Utah PASTED McNeese State. 42-7.

We're moving the ball! Halftime adjustments...YES!

1stRowFANatic
10-02-2004, 07:43 PM
They must have got it messed up. I thought it went awfully fast from0-0 at the end of the 1st to into the third quarter.

Watson nice run.

1stRowFANatic
10-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Gotta Score NOW

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Here come the Jacks again . . .

Never quit. Never, ever quit . . . it ain't over 'til there are all zeros on the scoreboard clock . . .

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:23 PM
You know, between last week's game and this one . . . the Jacks conditioning coach should probably get a game ball . . .

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Touchdown Jacks! It ain't over yet . . .

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Lee Munger, a former Jacks D-End is their strength and cond. coach. Good Job Munger! ;D

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Wow! 6 min. left against top 20 team and we are still in it. Go Jacks!!!!!!!

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:31 PM
91 yards away. 5:02 left in the game. Down by 7.

Let's do it . . .

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Bah, pick. Game over. Was a very good showing though. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Interception. Oof.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 08:39 PM
BLOCKED KICK!!!!! HOLY SH*T!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Blocked field goal! We still ain't done . . .

filbert
10-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Well, 1:24 left, Cal Poly is taking the knee.

Great effort by the Jacks . . . they stood toe to toe all night long with a top 20 DI-AA team.

jackmd
10-02-2004, 08:55 PM
I agree, another great showing by the Jacks. It ain't just about the W. Very proud of the team and coaches. Lets get back on track next week against an overconfident bison crew. BTW J Lohr has got a great product. Seven Oaks Cabernet is well worth the effort.

Rabbitlivinginverm
10-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Jacks had their chances. Has to be a dissapointing feeling in the locker room >:(. I think they proved that we aren't a team to overlook. Let's get geared up for the Bison in a week. Good job tonight Jacks.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Great showing against the #13 team in the Nation at their place. Very proud of the effort by the team. Let's get after the Bison.

Stats:

SDSU Total Offense: 262 Rushing: 90 Passing: 172

CPU Total Offense: 225 Rushing: 157 Passing: 68

Go State! ;D

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Gotta say that I loved Stig's interview. I liked his fire! We need to take this frustration and focus it on the Bison. Dakota Marker week starts right now.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison! ;D

filbert
10-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I don't think this Jacks team is going to roll over for anyone, the rest of the year.

Anyone planning to beat the Rabbits had better be prepared to play all 60 minutes.

We'll see next week what the Bison have got this year. All I know is that I'm more proud of this SDSU football team than any team we've had for quite a while. I think the Thundering Herd may be in for a bit of a rude surprise . . .

tony
10-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Tough loss, but I think the Rabbits showed a lot of people something today.

89rabbit
10-02-2004, 09:37 PM
BTW J Lohr has got a great product. Seven Oaks Cabernet is well worth the effort.

I told you it was good, glad you liked it! :D

Go State! ;D

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I agree with you all. It is always dissapointig to loose, but man what a showing! Others here are correct in saying that this team has something that hasen't been seen on the SDSU football team since I can remember. They play as a team and they have A LOT of heart. Man do they play hard! Go Jacks! We are proud of you!

Beat the Bison!

SoDak
10-03-2004, 03:17 AM
Honestly, I thought this was going to be one ugly year, but other than the first game, this team has to be proud of what they have done. In the 20 years since I first started following State, when I decided I was going to college there, I've never been this impressed with our team.

SDSUFAN
10-03-2004, 05:57 AM
No doubt a very good showing even though it was not a win. I am beginning to wonder are we this good or are these highly rated opponents somewhat overatted. Could be both.

What I am seeing this year that I have not seen in the Stigelmeire era, is the great game plan preparation and the motivation of the players. Also we seem to have assistants who truly work as a team and are not worried about impressing Stig or anyone else in the Jackrabbit Community. Having a winning program is the most important objective for the staff.

Jeff Kolpeck of the Fargo Forum, shortly before the season started did a feature on Criag Bohl and his assistants. Coach Bohl coming from UNL knows how important it is for the assistants to work as a team. A head coach is only as good as the assistants around him the article said.

We will see this next Saturday how well these assistants work as a team at NDSU and we will see hour team and staff match up with the Bison. This is one time coaching will be a bigger factor in winning the game that will be important to both NDSU and SDSU.

We welcome all the Green and Gold to Brookings. ;D

89rabbit
10-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Here are highlights from the Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

Near miss for Jacks
Chris Solari
Argus Leader

published: 10/3/2004

SDSU defense solid in 14-7 loss to No. 13 Cal Poly

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - In a game plagued by turnovers, South Dakota State made the costliest.

Brad Nelson's interception with about three minutes left halted the Jackrabbits' strong offensive showing in a chilly second half Saturday night against 13th-ranked Cal Poly. A blocked field goal gave SDSU one more shot in the hurry-up offense, but the Mustangs' ferocious defense held on for a hard-fought 14-7 Great West Football Conference victory in front of 8,417 fans, the fifth-largest crowd in Mustang Stadium's history.

"Every loss is hard," said linebacker Chris Coauette, who had 10 tackles in the Jackrabbits' staunch defensive effort. "We never stopped playing. If there's a bonus to take from this, it's that." . . .

"If we're an average team, there's a moral victory," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "We're not an average team. We don't aspire to be an average team."

The key difference in the game was a special teams meltdown. Cal Poly's Darrell Jones returned a second-quarter punt 89 yards, the final score for the Mustangs (4-0, 1-0 Great West) who survived four turnovers.

Jones had 131 return yards on the four punts he fielded.

"Actually, we've come to expect that from him," Mustangs coach Rich Ellerson said of Jones' fifth career punt return TD. "We work hard at that because we think special teams is a special skill. We try to take advantage of that part of the game and, obviously, that's not the first time that's happened."

Nelson had SDSU on the move the entire second half, but it was backup quarterback Andy Kardoes who got the Jacks back in the game. Set up by a Mike James interception, redshirt freshman Kardoes shuffled into the end zone from 5 yards out to close 12-play, 54-yard drive with 8:01 remaining.

SDSU got the ball back quickly, but at their own 9. Nelson found Josh Davis for 21 yards to give them some room, but a miscommunication between the two players three plays later allowed Cal Poly's Ken Chicoine to steal an errant pass and run it back to the Jacks' 23.

Cal Poly's drive stalled, and SDSU's D.J. Fischer blocked Byungwoo Yoon's 37-yard field goal try to give the Jacks the ball. However, Nelson threw three incomplete passes, including the final one on fourth-and-7 that allowed the Mustangs to run out the clock.

SDSU outgained Cal Poly 262-225, but failed to capitalize on early Mustang turnovers.

"I really believe in my heart, and I think the film will show it, that we should have won this football game," Stiegelmeier said. . . .

SDSU returns home next Saturday to face North Dakota State at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in the first battle for the Dakota Marker trophy.

Again, I love what Stig had to say to Chris. That is what I want to hear from our Head Coach. Time to move on and get ready for NDSU.

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bison! ;D

newser
10-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Back from Cal-Poly. Plane touched down at 4:40 this morning..
Poly has an excellent defense, but the Jacks defense played their butts off!
The Poly coaches were very complimentary after the game, and were a bit surprised that the Jacks played them that tough. They were held to about half their normal offense.
The Jacks coaches say the Bison defense is just as athletic as Cal Poly, but is in a more conventional set.
Crowd expectations are running 12K or higher...should be fun!

1stRowFANatic
10-03-2004, 10:35 AM
An excellant effort. I also would like to commend the coaching staff for implementing the adjustments throughout the game. They have the team well prepared for most anything. Little mistakes cost this one, not being totally out classed.

I am impressed and can't wait for Saturday night.

bluedog
10-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Wow! You guys are really coming into the league the right way and I really see nothing but good thins happening. Good luck against your next adversary I know how you all love them. ;D

Rabbit_FB_Alum
10-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks bluedog. I am glad Southern bounced back nicely.

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2004, 08:35 PM
A solid performance by the Jacks, there is no question about that. Good job!