An honest question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An honest question

Great win Saturday night in front of a great crowd! Congratulations!

Now, an honest question. Why is this team winning? I know most of you are greatly surprised at the success so far this year. If you don't think you are, just go back and look at the threads following the first couple of games this year. Honestly, why is this team winning? This has been an average DII football team for the last several years. They had good skill people back, a lot of questions in the O line and big holes in the defensive backfield. Now they are competing with and beating some very quality teams in D1AA. How?

Don't bother to turn this into a thread about me and my opinion. You can, and do, do that in several other threads! It is funny how hot and cold some of you guys run and how you twist what I have said to fit what your opinion is. But I want to hear your thoughts on this team. Why are they winning now?

Re: An honest question

Mike,

I know you said not to, but hey it is a free country.  Only you could look for the tiny black cloud inside the silver lining that is our football sucess.  

Was Chirs Solari talking about you when he wrote "Of course, most of the state media has been slow to jump on the Jackrabbits' bandwagon. Saturday's game was televised in North Dakota, but not picked up in South Dakota, showing how wide a chasm exists between the two states. There is a second-tier mentality that permeates South Dakota, and SDSU will need more and more of these kinds of major victories and large crowds in all sports to make believers out of these Division II-centrists."?  I am sure not just you, but .  .  .

I was the one that appointed you the offical representative of the board for the disenfranchised SDSU supporters, all USD and Augie fans, Dana Alums, and any other State Hater group out there so I will answer your question.

SDSU finished last year on a 5 game winning steak (and just missed the D-II playoffs).  From that point on the Jackrabbits are 9-2.  They are winning because they are good.  Their only loses have come to #11 Cal-Poly by a touchdown and a fluke score to #20 UC-Davis.  Mind you that was a big time beat down and shook many a fan's and maybe even some on the teams confidence.  That is why the Southern University win was soooooo HUGE!  Everyone got their confidence back and look at us now ranked #25 in I-AA football our first season into it! 8)

Finally Mike, because I always like to help, here is a topic for your show.  How is the D-II team to the south winning?  You could go on their board and ask them the very same question .  .  . oh yea I forgot they don't have a board.  :-[  Their turn around is much more surprising then ours.  Of course we all know the answer so maybe that would not be good radio.  They have played a schedule full of cup cakes (you know NAIA, D-III, etc.)  while SDSU is playing one of the toughest schedules in I-AA.

Something to think about.  :-/  My advise to my fellow Jackrabbit fans is to leave this topic alone.  We are not going to win Mike over, he had told me so, but I didn't believe him.  I guess I was wrong.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Here's why I think the Jacks are winning: Good coaching, good attitude/approach of the players, and players that are better than we thought.

I admit that I am pleasantly surprised at how well the team has done this year. They have been much more competitive than I expected.

I think the changes in the coaching staff have turned out wonderfully. Adjustments made during the game have paid big dividends (see defense in Southern game). Also, offense has been able to find something that works when the original game plan was floundering.

I agree with 89 that this team was much better than last year's record indicated. It had a bad stretch with a good share of the pain self-inflicted, but finished with 5 straight wins in what WAS a premier DII football conference. The NCC is no longer a premier DII football conference due to the changes in the membership, much the same as the Big East is no longer a premier DI football conference that should have a BCS bid.

While SDSU's football program has not had the success of its basketball program, I think it had been improving over the last few years. It was an average program, and I didn't like that. By last year I think it clearly was an above average DII program.

I also think SDSU has established that AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON it is an above average D1AA football program. The toughest stretch of the schedule lies ahead, but SDSU has a very legitimate shot at a winning record. I don't believe anybody realistically expected that to occur.

I still believe that SDSU has a successful year if it sets itself up to be in a better recruiting position for next year. I can't see how they have not already accomplished that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

;D ;D ;DI honestly think its because of Ed Meirkort. Some of his great coaching was exported to Brookings. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

1st Row. Great points.

89: You caught me. I WAS the one who made the decision not to televise the game anywhere in South Dakota. How is this question looking for a black cloud? I happen to think that what the football team is doing this year is very positive, and very surprising to even hard core SDSU fans.

Also, this is an SDSU board. Why do you keep bringing up USD?

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
             How is the D-II team to the south winning?  You could go on their board and ask them the very same question .  .  . oh yea I forgot they don't have a board.  :-[  Their turn around is much more surprising then ours.  Of course we all know the answer so maybe that would not be good radio.  They have played a schedule full of cup cakes (you know NAIA, D-III, etc.)  

Go State!  ;D
            I'll add one more reason -- They no longer have two Division II powers and a rival they can't beat on their schedule.

GO BIG BLUE!

Comment

I believe the question was about SDSU, not USD. I thought it was a good question, and one that I know the coaching staff is considering - looking at what we are doing right, and how to make the other things better.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think 89rabbit and 1stRowFanatic have it right: This was a pretty good DII team last year. You add a year of experience, some coaching changes and, maybe a chip on their shoulders from many people who thought they would be terrible, and you have the makings of a good D1AA team. (And I admit that I didn't give them enough credit earlier this year, a mistake I won't make about this team again. They have heart.)

Mike_H wondered why USD still comes up here. As far back as I can remember, USD has been working to establish itself as "the university" in South Dakota in part by actively undermining SDSU with the regents and legislature. (Recall the engineering school situation and the efforts to consolidate into a single university system with SDSU becoming USD-Brookings in the 1970s, to cite two examples.) I grew up during that era and my dad was an SDSU administrator, so these frustrations were a part of our daily lives. Given the history and competition between the schools in Pierre and on the field, it's not surprising that there would be an interest on this board to tout SDSU's D1AA success a bit and to rib USD in the process. You can't just forget 100 years of history overnight and it's all in good fun, anyway.

Comment

Here's my reply without the "extra"

I echo other's thoughts with the coaching.

However, I think we have one of the best QB's in the Jacks history right now, along with solid players in all positions. No superstar's like Ranek, or all start OFF line, but they are all above expectations and are no gaping holes or weakness.

If we had any major weakness it would have been exposed already this season.

We now have a better rival than USD was. Great fans, and competition on both sides.

Comment

Few things come to mind...when we reviewed last years game sheets, the Jacks were about 3 plays from a 9 & 2 season, (the Winona game & UND).
                    Then this year, the coaching staff has gone above and beyond in many ways in preparing the team.
                    Plus, the defensive changes have helped the team stop the run, which is basic to any successful season.
                    Still, a long way to go, but with much more confidence than right after the UC Davis game.

Comment

Mike - Great question.

I was one of the many who was very pessimistic after the Davis game, and am still one who wants to see how the season ends before making any rash statements.

Can't explain how or why this team wins. There are some strong areas, but also some areas that still need to be shored up. Can anyone explain why "one of the best QB's in Jack's history" was sharing time with Kardoes against NDSU? I don't personally agree with rotating QB's unless it's a matter of necessity, which with Nelson's season last year one would assume he's good enough to take all of the snaps this year. Also, I do believe that NDSU figured out SDSU's running game in the second half. Watson had 115 yards at the half, 133 total, that equals 18 yards in the second half. If the remaining opponents watch this film they should be able to figure out what NDSU did in the second half, which means our coaches will have to figure out how to counter that.

Saturday was my first and only game to attend in person this season. Saw some good things, some bad, some decisions that made me question coaches. I do think the remaining schedule will provide some stern tests and show what kind of team we have.

So, back to Mike's question...Why is this team winning? Momentum...home games (we don't lose at CAS)...some lucky bounces/calls (take away that bogus pass interference call in the endzone and the last minute of the NDSU game is entirely different).

Savage as you will.

Comment

Catch'em, take away a couple of other "bogus" calls (NDSU's catch on third and long and then later a TD) and it may not come down to that pass interference. But that's why they play the game.

I have always said that this team is underrated. We had a great year last year, with the exception of a couple of games and a couple of calls (vs UND). We did have some big holes to fill and I think the coaching staff and players have responded in a big way. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical following the UC-Davis game but didn't think the whole season would be lost. This is a good team, coaches/players and fans. I think they've opened up some eyes thus far. We have a lot of season left to be played.

I think the reason for using Kardoes is it just gives us an added dimension. Everyone knows that Nelson isn't going to scramble much. And I think those same people know that when Andy is in he's probably going to run.

Comment

Mike has asked a good question, I guess my reaction to it stems from it's timing.  I think as SDSU fans we are entitled to a little celebration today.  That is a luxuary that we as fans can afford and should take advantage of.  This kind of football season has been a long time coming.  The timing couldn't be better given the fans that we need to win over to support our move to D-I.  So I just felt like Mike's question was here to rush us past what could be argued is the most important win in Coughlin-Alumni Stadium history.  The question seems to have the effect of being the rain at our parade.  

The team and the coaches don't get the luxuary.  I remember talking to Coach Meadows down in Baton Rouge after the Southern Win and they were going to be watching game films of the next weeks opponent on the flight home.

My other concern is that Mike is a part of the media with direct access to the team and University.  An access that I as a doner and many on this board do not have.  After all he hosts the Jackrabbit report every week.  Shouldn't he already know or have a good idea why they are winning.  I know Chris Solari knows why.  This again makes me question Mike's "honest question".  He is not a fan (casual or rabbid) he does in fact get paid to understand and talk about sports.  

Mike if you honestly want to know then my apologies to you.  If you are trying to "rain on our parade" then shame on you.  Only you know which is true.

Finally kudos to my fellow posters.  You have all done an outstanding job of answering Mike's question.  Very positive stuff.  CatchEm, I agree that we have some things that we can still improve on, and that is great because it means that we can still get better and we will need to.  Afterall we play the #1 team in I-AA, Georgia Southern, at their place at the end of the month.  However, no need to go down the pass interference call route.  The Refs. missed the skipped ball in the first half that they called complete that lead to a Bison TD.  The Refs. didn't determine the outcome of this game.  It was a hard fought game and we won.  It was a thing of beauty and I am glad I was there.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Why is this team winning? Here I go.

First, the Jacks have TALENT. Brad put up Playstation numbers last year, and most of them came late in the year after he settled in to the offense. The receiving corps, led by Josh Davis, is the most well-rounded unit in the conference, and possibly at the D-IAA level. Watson is a bowling ball, and clipping away at over 5 ypc this year. On defense, Coauette is an absolute beast in the middle, and is athletic enough to lead out team in interceptions.

Second, we have COACHING. Ballard is a great teacher and an exceptional motivator. The staff is also saying the right things at this station - talking about belief as a major issue. At times, the difference between an average team and a good team is as simple as a team believing it can win.

Third, typical of a South Dakota product, this team has CHARACTER. Coming home from UC-Davis after a 52-0 defeat brought the best out of our COACHES and our TALENT. And, as we hand Southern and NDSU some perspective, the team talks about not being satisfied. They talk about wanting to be an elite program.

I think it all adds up to 4-2.

And, I think I will get a jump on this question for next year. The talent, coaching, and character will still be there. Add to that, we have all our conference opponents at home next year - with the execption of NDSU.

Go State!

Comment

I do agree with Mike's post, however I feel the UC Davis score sent the hopes of many Jacks fans crashing down. I can see an outsider coming in and looking at our schedule after the drubbing we took from UC Davis, combined with Georgia Southern putting up 84 points (let alone 20 some on Georgia) and thinking it was going to a very long, long, season for the football team. The win at Southern has completely turned this team around and the fantastic victory over NDSU on Saturday just put more coal to the fire.

I apologize for a couple "off topic" comments:

1. It may not seem like it now, but within the next 5 years or so, USD, Augie, etc are going to fade into D-II sports oblivion. The first time it is announced that "the SDSU football team will travel to Lincoln to face Nebraska on -------" or "the SDSU men's basketball team will travel to Lawrence to face the Jayhawks on ---" news and media outlets will be writing up a storm on it. I sense many new Jackrabbit fans are going to come on board.

2. Mike - I listen to your show on my way home from work, and it is enjoyable, especially when SD HS football is discussed. I apologize if I misunderstood, but I was severley disappointed with your comments regarding O'Gorman should not be allowed to be Class AA in football because of attendance. Are you kidding me? As an OG grad, I hope I misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
                              X