Argus Leader Chokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader Chokes

I know it's been discussed on other threads. But I think it is absolutely terrible that the state's leading paper changed headlines from "State's Great" to "Jack's Barely," referring to Saturday's game.

I don't understand this. They caved. Gutless.

Re: Argus Leader Chokes

Yep, they should put aside their personal opinions. Even if you are not an SDSU fan, it was a great night for the State of South Dakota. Being the only DI school, it is what people will recognize us for.

Comment

I don't get this. Was that the on-line headline or an early edition? I only saw the "Jacks, Barely" headline, and checked the online edition that night. Maybe i missed it.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The Brookings version of the Argus was "State's Great" in SF it was "Jacks, Barely"

Comment

You've got to be kidding me! If this is true, I think we should rally the troops and get Steve Hemmingsen of KELO TV on the case!

Comment

The one I picked up at at convenience store off I-29 and 41st in SF had the State's Great headline. Guess they got the early edition.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I posted this on the other Argus thread. It might explain the different headlines:

Regarding the different headlines: There are several deadlines each night, and Saturday night's deadlines are early because of all the advertising inserts and the physical size of the Sunday paper. After each press deadline, the section fronts are evaluated and often retooled, including inserting new headlines. Whoever put together the Sports section probably laid in "State's Great" for those out-state editions that had to go first. Then, whoever it was decided that was too vague and rewrote the headline for local editions. When I worked there, I think there were four editions each night. There could be more now.

Comment

I posted this in the other thread as well:

Thanks for the insight "OK". I don't claim a conspiricy etc. but I just feel that it was a negative headline for a South Dakota newspaper to print about it's largest universities most exiting FB game win (arguably).

It could have read. "SDSU Triumphs" or "On their way" or "SDSU tops NDSU in close battle"

Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X