Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are SEVEN articles on the NDSU/SDSU game

Here are SEVEN articles on the NDSU/SDSU game

South Dakota State Rallies, Beats North Dakota State In Beef Bowl -GWFL Web Site http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...101004aab.html

Jacks, barely -Sioux Falls Argus Leader
    http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayfeature.shtml

The seeds of a rivalry -Sioux Falls Argus Leader
    http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle1.shtml

Bison-Jackrabbits game summary -The Fargo Forum  
    http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...281§ion=Sports

Victory slips away for Bison -The Fargo Forum  
    http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...283§ion=Sports

Bison defense meets its match -The Fargo Forum
    http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...285§ion=Sports

Mike McFeely column: Jacks' drive a thing of beauty -The Fargo Forum
    http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Mike%20McFeely

Re: Here are SEVEN articles on the NDSU/SDSU game

Anyone else notice that the Argus headline downplayed the game. Jacks, barely? Well, accurate I suppose. But, even the Fargo Forum columnist gave credit to SDSU's heroics.

I have my opinions on why the Argus does't treat SDSU with the respect they deserve, but, come on...that was a great moment in South Dakota Sports...every bit of it was dramatic. The timing, the new rivalry, the environment, the drive, the celebration. All of it, a very powerful moment in South Dakota Sports.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, that headline does not sum up that game what so ever, have a feeling it was the editors not by Chris. Now if we beat a div II team in the same way, yes it would fit.

Here's my reply:

http://www.argusleaderonline.com/for...read.php?t=128

Comment

It is funny that you mention the headline. I spent the night in Brookings (with the folks) and got the Sunday print addition of the Argus. The headline read State is Great. I was surprised when I got back to KC and the board that the on-line addition was different. :-/

Go State! ;D

Comment

That's funny, the Argus delivered in SF said, Jacks, Barely

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, 89. I live in Brookings, but, I always check out the internet the night of the game to get the Argus story, and I didn't even look at the print edition.

I like Solari, and would have pinned the maltreatment on the editorial board. Turns out the evidence wasn't presented this time, but, I think the gap between SD media and Jacks Athletics needs to be tended to immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by RabidRabbitFan
              Thanks for clarifying, 89. I live in Brookings, but, I always check out the internet the night of the game to get the Argus story, and I didn't even look at the print edition.

I like Solari, and would have pinned the maltreatment on the editorial board. Turns out the evidence wasn't presented this time, but, I think the gap between SD media and Jacks Athletics needs to be tended to immediately.
              I will say that I know Chris and he is a good guy.  It was also pointed out by someone else on the baord (can't remember who) that they talked to Chris and he told them that he does not write the headlines for his stories.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I believe Chris Solari is the beat writer for SDSU at the Argus, so I would think his stories are generally always going to be favorable to SDSU (unlike other reporters there - ie Stu Whitney).

The thing that bothers me is why the game was not shown on TV by one of the Sioux Falls stations. The game was on TV throughout the state of North Dakota. Why was it not on TV in SD, and is there anything the SDSU administration can do about. Couldn't it at least be on Public TV. For God's sakes the USD-UNO game was on Public TV in Nebraska a few weeks ago.

We are talking about the premiere Division I sports program in South Dakota playing the premiere Division I sports program in North Dakota. This has to get on TV!!!

Comment

I think we've gotten to the bottom of this already, but just to clarify: Chris Solari wouldn't have written the headline for his own story. It was probably another of the five or so sports staffers, whoever was doing page layout that day, at least if they are doing things the way they did when I was there. (If they still do it that way, it could have been Stu... and he would love it if we blame him, whether he did it or not).

Whoever wrote it, it's not a very good headline, although I didn't read a big anti-SDSU conspiracy in it. I do prefer "State is Great". To their credit, they did expend some resources on the game, sending a photographer and putting a gallery of photos on their Web site. There were some good photos there.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about what the Argus has done in the past. I absolutely agree that much of their D1 coverage before the move really missed the mark. As a matter of fact, I used a couple of their D1 stories as bad examples in my journalism courses. I would say that since they pledged more attention to the only D1 school in their coverage area, SDSU has gotten a little more good coverage than bad.

Comment

One other difference between the print edition I picked up in Sioux Falls on my way back to NE on Sunday, is the story's lead.

The print lead on the story about the game reads, "... as the Jackrabbits pulled off a miracle over North Dakota State ..." That was changed to "... as the Jackrabbits shocked North Dakota State ..." for the online version.

Granted, the headline on the story reads "State's great" and there's a nice color photo, but I think the other choices in wording give us an indication of where the heads are of some of the folks at the Argus.

I thought it was interesting that a writer for the Fargo Forum referred to the winning drive as "A thing of beauty." Different perspectives, I guess.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I thought it was interesting that a writer for the Fargo Forum referred to the winning drive as "A thing of beauty." Different perspectives, I guess.
                      That's an impressive title considering it came from Fargo. Hopefully the BBall battles will be as good.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        It is funny that you mention the headline.  I spent the night in Brookings (with the folks) and got the Sunday print addition of the Argus.  The headline read State is Great.  I was surprised when I got back to KC and the board that the on-line addition was different.  :-/

Go State!  ;D
                        89rabbit:
                        It was good to see you again in the tent. I find it strange to be defending the Argus Leader without a newspaper background, and heck I sometimes can't get the two quarters in the slot properly in order for the drawer on the newspaper stand to open in order to grab a copy that is hot off the press. I do recall this though and the one day Chris Solari was on the Craig and Mike Show, they talked about the coverage in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader with away games and the fact that most outlaying areas.

Chris mentioned that the SDSU games in outlaying areas would not get the same content as those inside the city of Sioux Falls. Time constraints come into play.

In my last job before retiring, I traveled over most of the state of Nebraska. The Omaha World Herald has nearly statewide circuluation if not all, but the edition on any given day that you buy in Omaha, would be vastly different in the one that you would pick up from the newstand in North Platte or Scottsbluff. If you are trying to follow a statewide issue in Western Nebraska you get a much shorter version or even a day late articles.

I think another factor is the evening game does put on a bigger time constraint. I think we will always get better coverage with an afternoon game.

Its tough for Chris or any writer to do the story without actual outcome especially with this story book finish. I think we need to keep this mind and hope our beloved Jackrabbits can keep winning.

The one thing that the Argus could consider is to run the articles in full the following day, but some would not like to see that either, especially if you are Yote.

Comment

Chris Solari has nothing to do with writing headlines in the Argus. It is his responsibility to file his story and then it is up to someone (headline writer/editor type) to determine a headline to try and attract the attention of the reader. The way I see it (after the early edition went out) someone on the Argus staff objected to SDSU being placed in such a positive light. So, they changed the headline to show that SDSU just barely squeezed by. The first headline "State is Great," was way to positive for a school which took the bold step into DI and caused some heartburn for some folks. The second headline "Jacks Barely" is editorial commentary that says "You were lucky you won."

We can figure that out.

Comment

The second headline "Jacks Barely" is editorial commentary that says "You were lucky you won."
                            Luck has nothing to do with beating Southern, NDSU and only losing to Cal Poly by a TD.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                              The second headline "Jacks Barely" is editorial commentary that says "You were lucky you won."
                              "Jacks, barely" could also mean: Jacks won by three points on a last second touchdown after trailing much of the second half.

I don't like "Jacks, barely" and it could very well be a slam by somebody on the sports desk. But you could also argue that it's a better description of what happened in the game than "State's Great" which could be the headline over a story about a 72-0 victory over Oklahoma Panhandle State or a feature story about the beauty of the campus. As an SDSU partisan, I prefer "State's great" but as a journalism professor, I can read "Jacks, barely" as a more descriptive headline.

Regarding the different headlines: There are several deadlines each night, and Saturday night's deadlines are early because of all the advertising inserts and the physical size of the Sunday paper. After each press deadline, the section fronts are evaluated and often retooled, including inserting new headlines. Whoever put together the Sports section probably laid in "State's Great" for those out-state editions that had to go first. Then, whoever it was decided that was too vague and rewrote the headline for local editions. When I worked there, I think there were four editions each night. There could be more now.

Disclaimer for those who are new here: I'm a former Argus Leader reporter (early 1990s) and am now a journalism professor in Oklahoma. I'm also an SDSU graduate and Jackrabbit fanatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X