Register story from the Beef Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register story from the Beef Bowl

The Register got their story on line, here are some highlights. Stig won't like the headline :

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...40&page=25

The upset is oh so sweet
    BY LONNY ANDERSON
    n Nelson to Molitor gives SDSU the edge in memorable game

By Lonny Anderson
    For the Register

A wild finish to the first ever Battle of the Border saw SDSU defeat the North Dakota State University Bison Saturday, 24-21, to give the Jacks their first win in the Great West Conference.
    A Beef Bowl record 12,323 fans packed into Coughlin-Alumni Stadium to see the budding rivals do battle, and were delighted with some late-game theatrics.
    Quarterback Brad Nelson, named the Beef Bowl player of the game, propelled the Jacks to victory with a 14 play, 80-yard drive with just over two minutes left in the fourth quarter. On the drive Nelson completed a series of passes, including two fourth down conversions, to steadily push the Jacks down the field.
    Nelson found seldom-used Chris Molitor on a 22-yard strike with only 39 seconds left on the clock to give SDSU the lead. Molitor caught the pass around the 15-yard line, broke several tackles, and scampered into the end zone to score the game-winning touchdown in spectacular fashion. . . .

Looking back at the game-winning play, both Nelson and Molitor recognized its historical significance, and neither could recall a better moment in their careers.
    "It was the greatest feeling of my life," said Molitor. "It was the biggest game of my life and the biggest play I've ever made. That's the top of my football career — the best thing that ever happened. This was a great game. It's a great start to a huge rivalry."
    Nelson agreed with Molitor.
    "That was something I'll never forget. Like Chris said, this is probably one of the biggest moments in my life. It's great for the program to beat NDSU. There were things written saying we didn't stand a chance, so it was great to be a part of it."
    Along with Nelson's passing, Anthony Watson amassed 133 rushing yards for the Jacks, 115 in the first half, becoming the first running back to rush for more than 100 yards against the Bison this year. Watson also scored his third touchdown of the season in the first quarter.
    Watson credited the offensive line for his success, and noted that the Jacks were able to take advantage of a Bison defense that is largely similar to their own.
    The victory hands SDSU possession of the Dakota Marker trophy, created to signify the newly formed Division I rivalry between the two schools. Using this first game as an indication, both teams feel the rivalry will only continue to grow.
    "This is going to be a great rivalry," said Bison head coach Craig Bohl. "I've got to give credit to South Dakota State on their team performance, and congratulate them on the win. I think they're a good football team. We anticipated a good football contest, and that's what we got tonight."
    Stiegelmeier agreed.
    "This is going to be a premier rivalry. I think it's going to be a battle every year, and I can't wait. We came out on top against a very good North Dakota State team. I am proud of our football team, and what they were able to accomplish." . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Register story from the Beef Bowl

This may be the headline that Stig was talking about in the Jackrabbit report. He was fired up that they thought is was an upset and I agree.

Otherwise a decent story.

Comment

Working...
    X