Jackrabbit Airways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit Airways

Here are highlights from the Collegian about our charter flights.

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/news/20...s-742752.shtml

Fly the friendly SDSU skies
    Charter planes ease travel for fans and athletes
    By Laura Lorenz
    Published: Tuesday, October 5, 2004

SDSU has provided a solution to ease the process of traveling to away games for both athletes and fans with charter plane flights.

According to Rob Peterson, assistant athletic director, fans-including parents, alumni, booster club members and students-can purchase tickets to fly with the sports teams.

The department sets up seating on the plane, hotel reservations and transportation arrangements to and from special events that are offered to the teams and traveling fans. These special events include tailgate parties, alumni gatherings and city tours along with tickets to the games. All of these things are included in the airfare price, which can range from $530-$680 per person.

Peterson said that using charter planes to travel back and forth has benefited the sports teams greatly by reducing the stress level often caused by traveling to away games. Flying on the charter planes lets the teams usually leave at about 9 a.m. on Friday mornings and arrive at their destination with plenty of time to thoroughly prepare for the game. They return home at a more agreeable hour when using the charter planes, since the team usually leaves the game shortly after it ends.

"We try to have the athletes back home on Saturday nights so that they can use Sunday to regroup before the start of classes that following Monday. Sometimes that varies, depending on how far away the game is," Peterson said. . . .

It has allowed fans to experience new venues in new cities along with the teams, such as Baton Rouge and New Orleans, Peterson said. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Jackrabbit Airways

Just an opinion expressed by a few fans-
    While the charter flights are a good idea, there are some things that need to be considered.
    The team leaves right after the game, which is usually at night. They have to sleep on the plane (which have more leg room than most commercial flight, but the team generally has a lot more leg than the usual person!)
    They land in Sioux Falls, and must take the bus ride back to Brookings. This makes for a very sleepless night in most cases, and the guys still have to get up the next day for meetings etc in the afternoon. There is also homework that may or may not be done, and if there is a time zone change it throws them off even more! There is usually a lot of down time for them the day they arrive, and and on game day if it's a night gqme. (Sometimes too much since they really can't go anywhere unless it's in walking distance).
    There are some parents, fans etc that don't want to leave right after the game so they end up just taking a commercial flight rather than the charter, or parents from out of town who live closer to a major airport that would rather make the short trip there than a long drive to Sioux Falls. All in all it is a good idea and hopefully cost effective, and the people on the flights have a good time.
    I really would like to see some of the events at the away games promoted so that others flying in on commercial flights would be able to attend (thank you alumni association for organizing the Montana State event!)
    We have been told that we are welcome to attend the events open to traveling fans, but we don't know about them! And it isn't because we haven't tried to find out, the people taking the charter don't usually know what the itinerary is ahead of time, and Rob Peterson has not provided any information even when asked.
    I love the Jacks, and am enjoying sharing this year with them. We go to every game and it has been worth every minute! See you in Bozeman!
    Go Jacks!

Comment

Jacks Mom:
      I appreciate your candor on how these flight have worked out so far. I am hoping the HPER staff and Alumni Assoication staff are reading this information as its their first year with this many charter flights and it appears the communication has not been perfect and has room for improvemnet.  

As an Alum, its been my understanding that parents of players and students are always welcome at alumni events. There is a broad category called "Friends of SDSU", which includes any one with a yellow and blue heart.  There is no need to present your SDSU sheepskin to attend a pregame event that is sponsored by the Alumni Association.  Maybe what is needed here is better communications with the parents of players in letting them know about the events.

I would have tried Jackrabbit Airlines if not for being in the middle of relocation.  I may do this next year and I am one who would most likely want to stay over, but with a package deal, these are some of the things you give up.  I am sure those who went are by and large pleased with the travel opportunity. ;D

Comment

I have also been a little disappointed with regards to receiving information regarding alumni/gameday events in a timely fashion. I know VJ well and I think he does a great job but he is understaffed. Including VJ there are 4 members of the alumni staff. NDSU has something like 15 alumni staff. Perhaps VJ and the crew could up their hours to 24 hours, 7 days a week and 365 days a year .
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It was not my intent to take a jab at VJ and staff. Yes I too have known VJ for a long time and I do realize he is understaffed.  I think the communication with parents is a the responsiblity that probably falls with in the scope of  HPER because of the NCAA rules where its a violation to buy the parents or athlete a hot dog.  These communications probably have to be sometimes cooridnated with Alumni Assocation and HPER to be done right.

One of the pleasures of attending alumni events at out of town games, is that I got to meet a number of parents of past players.  I have also served on the Alumni Council prior to VJ and there were problems then with a the Nameless exective director who did not want to work with anyone including  HPER with socials and what have you. It was not a good experience

Since VJ took over these problems are in the past and I am sure both parties would want the events and charter flights to go as smooth as possible.  I know some of each staff do read this message board. My intent was not meant to be negative but to be critically  constructive.

Comment

Didn't take anything SDSUFAN said as negative. Just wanted to illustrate a point while including my own concerns. My personal experience is a good example. Previous to finding this discussion board I really spent little time considering financial support of SDSU athletics. Granted, the DI move made a big difference but just as important was the info I received from some of the charter members of this board. Eventual this lead to me contacting the athletic dept and joining the Jackrabbit Club. There needs to be more active recruitment of recent grads. The vast majority of alumni never participated in athletics but many of them are sports fans. Even small donations on a semiannual basis can make a difference if enough people are providing them.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

JackMD

No question we are both on the same page with concerns at SDSU. Alumni associations and foundations in general can never communicate too much.  A pamphlet mailed several times a year will eventually get read and it could be the right person reading. One who is looking for an opportunity to return something to the institution that open all the doors in his work career.  

No one has brought up mass mailing, but I suspect some one on the board is an expert in that area too.

Comment

Working...
              X