BEEF BOWL CROWD WILL BE BIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEEF BOWL CROWD WILL BE BIG

My wife and I were going to purchase tickets at the gate prior to the game but last night one of my sons at SDSU called and said he'd heard the game was sold out. I called the ticket office this morning and purchased general admission tickets.

As of about 9:30 a.m. today (Friday) it sounds like the west side has only a few tickets left in section L...that's the north end from about the end zone to the 10. There are ample general admission seats left for the east side. NDSU's crowd will be in Section R (between the 40s) on the east side.

Extra seating has been set up for the game and the tickets sale show the crowd will be a big one. I think those of you who were predicting 12,000 or more may be right.

Re: BEEF BOWL CROWD WILL BE BIG

Great news. I did hear about the temporary bleachers being brought in. I believe behind the endzone(s).

This will be great since we will play NDSU at home every other year and they will for sell out the dome, making for a great road trip.

Hopefully they rivalry will kick off to a good start. I don't expect it to be a heated rivalry at least not unless something happens to infuriate off both sides. But it should be always be big crowds if for the only reason that they are our closest division opponent.

Comment

Weather update from the national weather service:

Saturday: Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming south between 13 and 16 mph.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low near 49. South southeast wind between 11 and 14 mph.

Looks to be nice!!, just a bit chilly at night, not bad for what we had earlier this week!!

Comment

Perfect weather for a tailgate, football, and after game celebration. I won't be their in body but definitely in spirit. I'll be cheering as loud as I can from Rochester in the presence of the dungy hurd fans. Butts in the seats are important so I guess we'll have to tolerate the bison crew.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I don't understand why they had to bring in temporary seating for a crowd of 12,300. As I recall, that's almost 4,000 under capacity. I went to a Hobo Day game in 1985 where they squeezed over 16,100 into the seats. Have they made some changes to the seating since then?

Comment

I think everyone was hearing rumors in the last few days before the game, indicating huge numbers were going to show up at the last minute.

The extra bleachers were placed in the end zones which was a nice option because some Jack fans may not have wanted to sit in the east stands: NDSU had more than 2000 people there! They were great fans...loud!

Boy, was it fun to see how quiet and motionless that Bison crowd became when the Molitor somehow avoided four sure-tackles and crossed the end zone.

Comment

We've got some work to do to get our crowd to kick it up to a D-I level.  I hope our fans took note of the loud NDSU section.  I don't think anyone had to tell them when there was a big play or when it was time to make some noise.

Our students seemed into the game, but we were at the north end of reserved seats and most everyone around us was sitting on their hands most of the game.  They didn't even stand up after our touchdowns, at least not until the last one.  Even when we had to come up with a defensive stop on NDSU's last drive, the only way anybody around us got going was when the players on the sideline begged for some noise.

Not to be negative.  Big crowds are great.  But they're going to have to learn that they need to do something other than sit on their hands if they want to create a real home-field advantage.

Crashola, if I remember that game in '85 correctly, they had bleachers all along the south end zone under the scoreboard, and then people packed the grass slope below that.  People basically ringed the field in every other available space.  They've put up a chain link fence now that takes away some of that grass seating.  We had heard that for last night's game, the west stadium was basically sold out.  NDSU took up most of the east stadium, so that left the end zones for our GA crowd.  

Hopefully, we'll see that '85 record fall soon.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Did anyone notice the live Jackrabbit wondering around in the South Endzone. I think he was our 12th player and was there again in the final drive of the game.

Comment

FWIW-

The upper part of the west stands, on the north end was pretty sparsely populated. The south end appeared to be packed all the way to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                    Did anyone notice the live Jackrabbit wondering around in the South Endzone.  I think he was our 12th player and was there again in the final drive of the game.
                    I did see him, we need to catch him and bring him to all the games! Although, I thought he was a cottontail ;D

Go State! ;D

Comment

The bunny was a cottontail and was running around right in front of us (sat in the bleachers in the south endzone). Sitting there, we could hear both sides and the SDSU crowd was much louder, but the Bison fans were greatly out numbered and were impressive. With the fastly greater number of SDSU fans (5 to 1), it should have seemed as though the Bison fans were not that loud.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Sorry this post is late, I just found this website. I was dead tired Saturday after traveling nine hours Friday night from Wisconsin to play golf and watch the Jacks beat the Bison. But Sunday, I had a permanent smile on my face as I traveled home. I know there have been big victories for the Jacks over the years (I played in the 85 Hobo Day game against USD), but this game will have a tremendous impact on the recruiting for SDSU in the upper midwest.
                        I think one of the reasons the crowd was somewhat subdued, was the fact that we've only beaten the Bison 3 out of the last 25 meetings. Admittedly, I was skeptical during the game. I truly hope that this victory will encourage the SDSU fans to become more vocal during all home and away games
                        The attendance record of 16,000+ (Hobo Day '85) will only be broken if the rivalry continues and another grandstand is added (I heard there is a proposal in the works). Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Chewie#59,

Better late then never! Welcome to the board, I am glad you found us. Thanks for posting, it is always good to have another child of the '80s on board with us.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I bet there are a whole bunch of Jackrabbit fans kicking themselves for not going to the game last Saturday. Maybe they'll buy tickets in 2006.

Comment

I made sure to rub it in to those that could've gone but didn't ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X