TV Coverage of the Jacks in South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Coverage of the Jacks in South Dakota

Does anyone know why the SDSU-NDSU game was not televised by one of the Sioux Falls TV stations?? The game was on statewide in North Dakota b/c a Fargo station televised it.

This was the premiere Division I program in SD playing the premiere Division I program in ND. This game needs to be on TV -- at least on the local SD stations. The USD-UNO game was Public TV in Nebraska a few weeks ago, for God's sakes.

TV coverage of this game would have went a long way to convincing the good folks of SD that the move to Division I was the right decision and shown the excitement that playing at the highest level creates. It would be good for recruiting, attendence, revenue, everything.

Can the SDSU admin do something to make this happen in the future???

Re: TV Coverage of the Jacks in South Dakota

It's not up to the SDSU admin.  I'm sorry to say it, but the reason it didn't happen is because there aren't any local affiliates in Brookings and the ones in Sioux Falls are too petty to put aside their love of the U and Augie to unite the State behind it's premier sports program. I hate to say it, but they are still waiting on SDSU to fall flat on their faces with this DI move so they can laugh and say I told you so. I am happy to say that I think we are going to get to tell them I told you so.

Comment

Hate to destroy the conspiracy here folks, but one of the reasons it did not happen is because the game was at night. Between network obligations, programming, and the ability to sell it, it might have been too hard to get done. This is a ratings period also. What WDAY decided is worth doing for North Dakota might not be what a station here decides is worth doing for South Dakota. Also, who got the money from the closed circut feed? Was it WDAY? That can go a long way toward making it profitable. What some people assume is politics is usually about money.

Comment

I think one thing that can be done is to express your opinions to the stations, and potential advertisers. Remember the tv stations are in business to make money, and if they think there is money to be made on the broadcast, they will do it. The best way to get them to look at the possibility is to let them know we will watch.

Also, anybody who listens to the Jacks games on radio or to Mike's show on KWSN needs to patronize the sponsers AND TO LET THEM KNOW WHY YOU ARE DOING IT. If I tell a local store I stopped in because I heard their ad on the show, two things happen

1. they are more likely to keep advertising on the show,
        2. they are more likely to be receptive to sponsoring new programming.

This works, and needs to be done. I'm sure the local affiliate that broadcast USD & Augie got many comments about having the game on, we need to let all the stations know they missed a great opportunity.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

One statewide televised game is part of NDSU's media contract with WDAY/Forum Communications. Typically it was the UND game, obviously that would not occur this year, so the SDSU game was chosen.

Comment

Recently I was in Missoula on a Saturday that the Griz played UNC and that game was televised all over Montana, so was the Montana State game, and so was the Carroll College game, talk about jealousy. Montana doesn't have many more people than we do. We will have SDSU games on TV in the future, but it will take some time. Interest in the higher level of competition, with major schools from time to time, will build interest and make SDSU sports a commodity worthy of bidding for locally. Not saying we don't need to keep up the pressure, but we also need to have patience. Casual observers thought we'd get killed in football this year, which would have led to crap ratings. SDSU also needs to become marketing savvy, moreso than they are, and really sell the brand.

Comment

3 local games on TV in Montana, the NDSU-SDSU game on statewide in North Dakota, Wyoming Football on TV nationwide sometimes (if on ESPN or something). Yet the biggest DI game of the year in South Dakota is not on TV at all.

All of these states have similar (or less) population than SD. I understand the need for patience, but this is riduculous.

Comment

Any idea if the the Montana State game will be televised? I have good friends in Great Falls (both alums) who will there for the game. If nobody knows, I will ask them.

Comment

Am I to understand that the largest media market in SD does not cover SDSU out of spite? Is Sioux Falls USD country? That really is a surprise to me. I would think that SDSU would have some influence in Sioux Falls.

Things would be difficult for SDSU without the support of Sioux Falls. In St Cloud we just deal with little or no support from the Mpls/St Paul media. And the St Cloud Times does not cover the Gophers. But the SDSU situation is different.

Comment

I would say that a better analysis is that the Sioux Falls Media has traditionally covered what to them are the four schools of interest in an equal way.  The four are the Flagship University in Brookings (SDSU, better Alumguy?   ), the University in Vermillion (USD) and the two Sioux Falls Colleges (Augie, and University of Sioux Falls).

This may seem strange to someone who is not familiar with South Dakota.  Heck it often seems strange to me that the "big" Universities (SDSU 10,957, USD 8,120) with statewide missions share the stage with two "small" private Colleges (Augie 1,900, University of Sioux Falls  1,783) with a metro based mission.  Especially when you consider that the University of Sioux Falls is NAIA.  That however, is how it is today.

Some of the hysterics that have come from the Sioux Falls market are because our move will "upset the apple cart".  It will force the media and the population of Sioux Falls to examine exactly who they are supporting and why.  Change is hard, but change is a constant, and change is coming.

I think with some time and patience the Sioux Falls market will be won over.  Sioux Falls will embrace D-I because it wants to think of itself as a "player".  SDSU is also working to develop it's ties to the city.  An example is happening this academic year as SDSU will be taking on the University of Minnesota at the Bird Cage (Sioux Falls Baseball Stadium).  This is something that Augie or USF could never give them.  

Let me end by saying that SDSU is South Dakota's only D-I University.  We are not Brookings' University (although we love the town).  We belong to the whole state and that includes South Dakota's largest city, Sioux Falls.  We need and will change the mind sets of many in Sioux Falls so that they join us in support of the D-I  Jackrabbits, IMHO.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Please see my post under the "Now what" thread.

Comment

Not sure if this is true but I heard that back before the university system for the state/territory was fully established the city of Sioux Falls had an option of taking the state penitentiary and other incentives or one of the state universities. The city leaders of the day pushed for the state pen. If this is true, it's interesting to think what USD or SDSU would have been like growing in a metro area like Sioux Falls.

Comment

Bisonmike, you are right.  Sioux Falls won the prison and Brookings recieved a college that eventually became SDSU.  At the time it made perfect sense.  Higher education was not what it is today and the Prison meant more jobs.  More then 100 years later I am sure Brookings is glad that they have SDSU rather then "The Big House".

Go State!  ;D

Comment

True. It is also true that the Interstate hiway was supposed to run along Hiway 81 by Madison up to Watertown, bypassing Brookings. That would have certainly changed the landscape as well.

Comment

What would be even more interesting is if the leaders of the Dakotas back when the states were being created had decided that South Dakota is going to have one flagship university in Sioux Falls and North Dakota is going to have one flagship university in Fargo. If this had happened both schools would have been Division I years ago and likely in a major athletic conference. (probably something on the level of U of Wyoming)

Comment

Working...
                              X