Clear All

• SDSU say farewell to coach

Highlights from an Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article4.shtml

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 10/14/2004

Going-away gift

Saturday's football game will go down as one of the most exciting and important ever at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. But for one person with the team, the thrilling 24-21 over North Dakota State was extra special.

Student assistant coach Aaron Curns left the team and school for Texas this week. He was called up to active duty with the Army and reported to training at Fort Bliss near El Paso, with the understanding that his unit could be deployed overseas into combat.

Curns missed SDSU's victory over Western Oregon on Sept. 18 for training in California, but he was at the following two road games at Southern (La.) and Cal Poly. After the team rallied to win Saturday's game, SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier let his former player from Wessington address the team for one final time.

"He said, basically, 'I love you, keep playing hard and I'll be watching the scores,' " Stiegelmeier said Wednesday. "He came in yesterday and shook everybody's hands. It was pretty emotional, because number one, he is giving up being a student coach for us. And now he's losing that, and he's going to defend his country."

Curns had a going-away present for the team as well. He stopped by the football offices Monday before he left, giving the staff a brand new blue and yellow Nerf football to replace the dingy one the team uses during offensive drills.

"He's a great young man, a hard worker," Stiegelmeier said.  .  .  .

Best of luck and thank you to Student assistant coach Aaron Curns.

Go State!  ;D  

Re: SDSU say farewell to coach

I know Aaron personally and was dissapointed he was never mentioned in any literature for the team. :-[

I believe he has been helping for the last 3 years and has always shown intenstiy. I believe getting back into Jacks football was a big thing for him.

Good Luck Aaron!!

Go State!!!
    Go USA!!

Comment

Re: SDSU say farewell to coach

Coach Curns is a very well respected coach among the players. He will be missed.....Good Luck and hurry home..
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Working...
      X