Here are a few suggestions for all the  media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are a few suggestions for all the  media

Here are a few suggestions for all the  media using current sports being played.

-Football-
    1)Coverage of games with story and box score
    2)weekly coaches column
    3)cover some of the GWFC and list there press releases plus the GWFC stats and standings each week.
    4)list some of the 1AA polls
    5)cover maybe some of bigger 1AA news
    6)individual articles on  players and coaches, could do one a week or so.
    7)list ticket info for games and charter info on away games on top of sports page
    --yes this could all be put in a certain daily section. SDSU has moved to the highest level of collge sports and is and will be playing some of biggest schools in the country. We cover the major college sports and most are not even close, well now we have a major college right here. What will happen in a couple years if/or when the Jacks mack the Big Dance of 64 in basketball ? Will our media down play it thinking nothing or will our own state university be treated like the other colleges in the tourney?

-Volleyball-
    2)weekly coaches column
    3)cover some of the conference and list there press releases plus the stats and standings each week.
    4)list some of the D1 polls
    5)cover maybe some of bigger D1 news
    7)list ticket info for games

-Soccer-
    2)weekly coaches column
    3)cover some of the conference and list there press releases plus the stats and standings each week.

-Cross Country-
    2)weekly coaches column

Point is there are a number of little things that can be done that don’t really take too much effort or time because they already out there. You just need to go get them. Plus use what SDSU (or any other college in area) has a lot of, students. Get a SDSU student or two to intern traveling to some away games (especially with some of the not so high profile sports) and/or major tournaments. This person(s) could possible travel with the team ? What better way to get your feet wet in journalism or the media? None of the above would need major money, or adding a number of staff, or even extensive research. It is all right there and working with SDSU they could get all the help they need.

Yes some of this stuff is being done to a certain extent now. But as the Jacks have moved to a higher level of competition so needs to the media coverage. And I don't think it would take much.

Personally I think the SD Media view the state and it's school as small and insignificant, when it should be hoisting them up and be proud of them as the represent the Great State of South Dakota. Plus what is the SDSU Paper doing to cover there own sports.

Remember all three types of media (Paper, TV, Radio) not only have current forms of getting news out. All three have web sites which reach the entire world. And out of state people do look at them.
    The Argus tells you when and where on the radio (or tv)the games will be. But does it also list when and where  Jacks Football and Volleyball with be web-cast ? This goes for all three also.

Just the thoughts of a small and insignificant person.

PS: I really like see a SDSU network get going. To get info to as many places in SD and surounding states as possible.

One thing I forgot to add is

One thing I forgot to add is you could do this for all upper institutions in SD.

-DII Round-up (NSU, Auggie, USD) BHSU are they looking at DII ?
    -Small College Round-up (DSU, SD Tech, Huron or what ever their called now, SFU, DWU, BHSU)

[i]There are people from all areas and schools in Sioux Falls, Plus the SF media is primary source of info in all areas of the state and boarder states. So just seems logical in working with the schools and their newspaper/? To get better coverage of sports and academics. Plus the news/sports sections of all three media’s would be a little more informative. Yea there are newspapers in most of these teams regions but info on schools doesn't get out statewide and it should. I am not originally from SF area so info on schools from my area are very limited. Even when the teams do well and go to national tournaments or win their conference etc..i]

+ Could even stretch as far as adding Worthington CC and Northwestern College as they are close and SF media covers a big part of their coverage areas.

Comment

Re: Here are a few suggestions for all the  media

Kid: You have put in a lot of time and thought on this. However, I think what you are going to see, or already see, is less of this before you see more.

Why should a newspaper devote time, space, or energy on soccer or cross country? The Madison paper will have information about what DSU does as far as results, etc., and maybe a box score, and do maybe one article per season with the cross country or soccer coach, unless of course they make the playoffs, score well at nationals, etc. They do it becasue they have always done it. As a consumer, I am not going to buy the Madison paper to find out how the DSU soccer team did, because I don't care. As a matter of fact, there are thousands of us that do not care. How do I know? Attendance at their games. Also, if you go to Foley's on any given day, not one person in there is going to know how the cross country team is doing, unless they have a blood relative on the team.

Besides, I can get, or should be able to get, most of the information you list off on the internet. You will notice this year that several college websites are new and improved. It has driven me nuts for years that college websites are not updated, do not list out phone numbers, don't let me know how much tickets are, where I can get them, and are in general not consumer friendly. But I digress. The internet makes it even less important for a newspaper to pass along the information that you request.

You mention that newspapers cover "Major college" teams, and now we have one right here. But I will tell you this. For any of you that go to football games in Sioux Falls or Rapid City, do a little survey. Look at the coats in the stands. Once you take away those that are wearing the school colors, who is second? The University of Nebraska, Iowa, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Colorado. Every now and then I will see an SDSU coat or a USD coat. I know that is not true in Brookings, or Vermillion, and they even have some DSU coats at Madison High games. I hear a lot of talk about "we are a statewide university", but I sure don't see it. This goes back to marketing. Why should my newspaper take up space with information that is of use to no one?

I do see the Argus had the weekly standings and some stats for the GW yesterday. But do an article a week on Southern Utah? Sorry, but that is not going to happen for awhile.

Points to ponder.

Comment

All good ideas, Kid Dakota.

I think we can have some impact on what gets covered if we do it strategically. Let's give the media some stories. One thing I learned from working in the media is that reporters and editors like stories. If reporters have ideas for stories to work on, then they can't get put on some crap story by their editor. Editors are happier with so-called enterprise stories than with canned stories or with reporters who have to be assigned to do things. It's in everybody's interest at the newspaper to listen when people pitch them story ideas. About 75 percent of what's in the paper results from outside information rather than reporters coming up with ideas on their own.

Those of you who are closer to SDSU probably have some ideas for specific stories about student athletes, coaches, etc. that could be passed along directly to reporters and editors at various places.

--Are there student athletes with interesting personal stories that could be told? (Those stories could, for example, be proposed to the athlete's hometown newspaper, or to the Argus if they're especially compelling.)

--A lot of people here seem to have relationships with athletic department employees. Are there tidbits of news that have been shared here that could become stories? Stories about trends that can be tied to concrete instances are particularly easy to pitch. I can think of one: The equestrian program is drawing great numbers of horse enthusiasts to SDSU. There was a story in the alumni magazine about one young woman. But apparently a whole new group of people is taking an increased interest in SDSU as a result of that new program and with tangible results. Who are those people? What sorts of contributions are they making (sending their kids to SDSU, giving the university horses, giving financially, etc.)? I think that could be an interesting story. There are undoubtedly many others like that related to the DI move.

--Can we come up with themes for campaigns of letters to the editor or guest editorials that we could begin submitting to the Argus and other South Dakota papers? What is the most important idea that needs to be communicated about SDSU athletics? What is second most important? Can we get some South Dakota alumni from this board to write letters to several papers each on those topics in a coordinated way?

These kinds of grassroots story ideas and opinion pieces have more power to interest reporters and editors, in my opinion, than press releases sent by the athletic department. They also remind people in the media that there is a large SDSU constituency out there throughout the state. It's easy to forget that when you're caught up in the minute-to-minute whirlwind of the news business.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Does anybody feel that it is counter-productive to tell (suggest) the media who to cover and how to cover them. Could the media develop a resentment towards SDSU? Or does the SD media already resent SDSU?

I find this all very interesting.

Comment

That's a good question SCSU.

What I'm suggesting is something different. Rather than just tell them to cover SDSU, you pitch individual reporters story ideas that you think are of interest.

In other words, you're not saying: You're biased and you need to cover SDSU better. You're saying: Here is a story you might be interested in covering.

My experience as a reporter (at the Argus) tells me they'll listen to ideas, but it does no good just to criticize. In fact, as you suggest, griping might have the opposite effect from what we want.

And the letters and opinion pieces I'm suggesting would be positive pieces about what's happening at SDSU, not gripes about how the news media have failed to cover the university. That's why it would be good to identify two or three things people need to know about what's going on in SDSU athletics. Then you comment on them via letters to editor in a positive way.

Comment

Great points OK! This also brings up another area where SDSU needs to step up their game (as do others, but this is an SDSU board!).

I am going to brag for a moment, but only because it illustrates the point .

My son has the lead in the show opening tonight at SDSU. The play is "Our Town", and for those of you not familiar with the play, the main character is the narator, or "Stage Manager". This week there is an article in the Dell Rapids Tribune, which is obviously a press release from SDSU. It states that Sam Poppen, a freshman from Dell Rapids, plays (can't remember the characters name, but a small role). J.D. Henriksen, a senior from Dell Rapids, serves as the stage manager for the play.

There is a large difference there. Did the person who sent out the release not do any research on the play? Was the release worded badly so the editor in Dells confused the issue? It is great that the information was sent, but if the information is incorrect or not well stated, the information does very little good. I can tell you that if I get a press release, use the information, and then find out the information is wrong, I am going to be very leary of using information from that source the next time. This is one example, but multiply that a few times across the dozens of weekly and daily newspapers across the state,and radio stations, and you see there can be a problem.

Let me very clearly say that this is NO reflection on Ron and Jason. They do a GREAT job of keeping us informed, and always are VERY helpful getting us information and setting up facilities and interviews. But I also hear folks say this is about more than athletics, and getting the message out in the right away is very important.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                Great points OK! This also brings up another area where SDSU needs to step up their game (as do others, but this is an SDSU board!).
                Thank you Mike.  The last part of your sentence is all it takes so that your point dosen't feel like an attack on SDSU.  Nice job.  

Sorry your son was slighted.  Let us hope it was a mix up.  My sister has a degree in theater from State and I have always been a big fan of live theater.  How does your son like the PAC?  I regret to say that I have not been inside it yet.  

P.S.  Is it possible that the press release was fine and that the Dell Rapids editor (or staff) made a mistake?  Just exploring all the possibilities.  That being said your point is well taken that sources of press releases need to make sure they are easily understood.  Tell your son to "break a leg" for me.

Comment

In delving into the media subject, I will gladly defer to those with more expertise on this subject (e.g. Mike_H, OK_Jackrabbit, et.al.)...

I agree that such indignant clamoring for increased attention may be counterproductive. While I do believe that SDSU has frequently gotten the shaft by the state's elites, it must be remembered that it is all about money. The media is not primarily about providing information; it is about selling advertising. When the Argus (or whomever) sees that enough interest has been generated to warrant increased attention to matters pertaining to the D1 move, it will be on it like white on rice. So, in the meantime, provide gentle and informative education to the unrepentant masses, the benighted FESers and the so-called naysayers. If you build it, they will come.

Comment

91: Great point!

OK: You are a genius and I put you in charge of the campaign!

89: God forbid somebody attack SDSU!

Comment

89: God forbid somebody attack SDSU!
                      Come on now Mike, I am trying to play nice.  It is ok to attack SDSU, however I will refer you to an earlier post of mine.

89rabbit wrote:

"The word Fan is derived from the word fanatic.  When used as an adjective the definition is fanatic - marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to (in this case SDSU).  So I do understand how someone could be a fan of SDSU and be upset by our move to D-I.  I say to any that feel this way.  Please let us know your concerns, let us help you understand why this is a good move not only for the University but also for the State as a whole.  Give us your reasoning as to why you are troubled by the direction that the University has taken and we will offer hope so that you can once again fully support with excessive enthusiasm and intense devotion that which you love.  

I think where people on this board tend to get a little upset is when folks who are not fans of SDSU, who do not have the best interests of our fine institution at heart, who even mock us come to the board to take pot shoots at us.  Since we are in that political time of year I will offer up an analogy that may help explain my point.  Be you a Democrat or Republican when the primary races are over one would hope that the Party unites behind its chosen candidate.  Some years it is tougher then other, I understand that.  The same is true about SDSU’s decision to move our Athletics program to the D-I level.  The decision has been made (the primaries are over) and the first season of D-I is upon us (the general election is here).  It is time for all good Jackrabbit fans to rally to the cause.  We are South Dakota State University and we need your support.  

For those who can not give that support right now I encourage you to stay open minded and let us help you.  Time will heal old wounds and when you are ready we will be waiting to except you back into the fold.  If on the other hand you are not a fan and have come on the board to attack that which we hold dear, please be forewarned that your assertions will be met with enthusiasm and intense devotion, because this is a SDSU fan board."  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

91 rabbit: Prime example of what you are talking about. The Sioux Falls Storm have been in business 4 years. This year, they got more newspaper space, radio time, and even had a game of theirs televised by KELO. Why? They won! That simple. They were playing teams with no one on them anyone had heard of from towns we don't care about, and yet they got great coverage because they were winning and created a buzz. People were lining up to buy playoff tickets. It was a sensation, and it continues even now as they are just about sold out for next year when it comes to season tickets. This backs up what OK was talking about. The story was simple: "local boys do good". And it was a story that the Storm tunrned into cold, hard cash!

Comment

Kid: You have put in a lot of time and thought on this. However, I think what you are going to see, or already see, is less of this before you see more.

Why should a newspaper devote time, space, or energy on soccer or cross country?

Points to ponder.
                          Mike: Since I have a son running X-Country for the Jacks, I'll answer your first question: Because sometimes it's news. Because, for example, the men's cross country team beats Nebraska every time they run against them this year. While it may not have huge fan support, you'd be real surprised how many people actually know how the team is doing.

But I'm not complaining...in fact SDSU's progress in X-Country has been reported (except in the Collegian) in the daily papers. I'm just answering your question: because it's news.

Runners throughout the USA have heard of SDSU's Brad Lowery. (He's red-shirted this Fall.) Name an athlete in any other sport at any other college or university in South Dakota that currently competes at the same level as Brad.

I cannot speak on the topic of DSU's cross country team. I CAN talk about Foley's Bar in Madison but only because of the passage of time and expiration of statutes of limitations.

Anyway, Mike, sometimes you remind contributors to this message board that the media is interested in reporting news and not just serving as part of the SDSU cheer squad. I understand those admonitions. But now you suggest the media is only interested in reporting stuff that attracts a crowd? I'm glad the media in general does not ascribe to your philosophy...Watergate may have just been a minor burglary incident...maybe Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky would have only been whispered about in Washington....

Newspapers (should) report the news. The electronic media perhaps has more emphasis on sheer entertainment but they at least give lip service to reporting news.

Some of the posters on this message board have tried to make the point with you that what SDSU is doing is NEWS. Ultimately, the reporters and editors have the final say on what gets published within their limited space. Posters on this message board are doing a little lobbying among themselves...give 'em a break.

Comment

JackJD: Excellent point, and it ties in well to what OK was saying. That is why I did not use SDSU cross country as an example. We have been fortunate enough to have Brad on the air with us. He is a great story. Also, I am aware of the past successes of the SDSU cross country team. Notice my caveat, "unless they make the playoffs, do well at nationals, etc.". That is when it becomes news. If you have a mediocre, or worse, team, you better find a story angle to promote. Otherwise, with fewer media outlets covering local events, and shrinking staffs, folks are just not going to get the coverage they think they deserve. I'm not trashing anyone on this board who is lobbying. I'm just trying to give them the perspective of of one who has been "lobbied" for several years.

I think it all started at Foley's!

Comment

Re: Here are a few suggestions for all the  m

Just curious Mike, I noticed tonight on KELO-AM they had Stampede Hockey, and soon there will be Skyforce BB clogging up the local radio waves. Does anyone listen? I don't know a soul who cares about the Skyforce enough to listen to them on the radio, and I'm in their prime demographic. If they do care, they're at the game. Do these teams do better, revenue-wise than college BB or football for a SF station? I worked radio in Brookings for years after college, and people constantly complained they couldn't pick up SDSU games on the radio up there, but I was never involved in those kind of decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X