Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU Kicker Suspended.

From todays Fargo Forum:
    My comment: This is an unfortunate situation, and having been plagued with alchohol problems in my own life, I hope this young man will seek some help in dealing with this problem. He needs more than a lawyer here.  Good counseling about the legal drug alchohol is also needed.

I think its easy to write this incident off as having too much to drink and gee he just turned 21. I am willing to lay odds that everytime this young man picks up a drink, one drink it will not be enough, and a keg will be too much.  Some people can not control alchohol intake and suffer from the disease of alchoholism.

Alchohol affects people differently. Some can have 2 or 3 beers daily and have no affect on their lives. Others such as this young man find themselves drinking too much and soon become a problem to themselves, the law or those family members close to them.  Sad but true, I know.

I dont see this as an isolated incident in this young man's life. I dont have the facts, but I would lay odds that there is a pattern of alchohol abuse here.

Also I give Kudos to the Fargo Forum for outlining the process for dealing with these student athlete problems. Too bad the Argus could not have done the same with the recent incidents at SDSU.

Bison suspend Vartanian
    By Jeff Kolpack,The Forum
    Published Tuesday, October 19, 2004

North Dakota State kicker Cory Vartanian was suspended indefinitely after being charged with criminal trespassing early Sunday morning.

The Bison junior wandered into two houses on Seventh Avenue South around 1 a.m., Fargo police said.

"Officers said he was very intoxicated," said Lt. Tod Dahle. "He didn't have a clear idea of where he was. He thought he was at a party."

Vartanian turned 21 years old on Saturday. NDSU defeated Southern Utah 27-21 earlier in the day, a game where Vartanian's two field goals played a big role.

Bison head coach Craig Bohl said Vartanian will not play Saturday when NDSU hosts Division I-AA football's sixth-ranked team in California Poly.

"First of all, I'm disappointed for our team and for Cory," Bohl said. "He made some poor choices. Hopefully, he'll move forward from that."

Kyle Wilcox, a freshman walk-on from Ramsey, Minn., will be the starting kicker. He was 52 of 56 on extra points and 3 of 8 on field goals in his career at Anoka High School.

Bohl said the suspension hinges on Vartanian being accountable within the legal system and the NDSU student code of behavior.

Bohl said Vartanian is also accountable under a student-athlete code of conduct but "until he clears up the first two issues, he will be suspended."

Wilcox has not played in a game, nor has he gotten much practical experience in practice.

"It's very rare that you have a kicker who isn't able to play but that's where we're at right now," Bohl said. "You don't appreciate kickers until you don't have one. Very rarely do teams carry two kickers on scholarship."

Vartanian has made 4 of 7 field goals and 32 of 32 extra points this season. His deep kickoffs have been a big reason the Bison kickoff coverage team has been outstanding.

"That's had an impact," Bohl said. "Many times, they're starting drives inside the 20-yard line."

Asked what the impact Vartanian's absence will have on the team, Bohl said both players and coaches will move forward.

"This is what we have right now," he said. "We have a system in place. As a coach, you don't rant and rave about it. We're going to coach the guys that we have available."

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546
    Forum Communications Company
    ©2004  Forum Communications Co. Fargo, ND 58102 —

Re: NDSU Kicker Suspended.

SDSUFAN

I respect that fact that problems with booze is a disease, but not everyone that gets smashed has a disease. Drinking is part of the College life these days. I can name more than 40 regular partiers that I went to college with and today to my knowlege none of them have a drinking problem. I am not saying that you are wrong, but I think you are jumping to conclusions on this one. However, I agree this is an unfortunate situation.

Comment

Rabbit-Football-Alum

If some of these 40 you once knew are now attending recovery groups, they may not be talking about this part of their lives.  Do you know where all of these 40 people are today and everything that has happen since the party days at SDSU?  Probably not and as I said alchohol affects everyone differently.  For some it evenutually leads to problems that are not pleasant to talk about.

After being in recovery 31 years I can recognize patterns. I honestly think this young man is having a problem liking himself and handling sucess.  He had to be feeling very good maybe too good about himself after kicking the two goals that made the margin of victory. I would theorize that he could not handle the personal sucess and how better to destroy yourself than getting totally stoned and walking into some house where he did not belong.

Its easy to laugh this off and say its only a party, but its about self esteem.  If he had a balanced feeling about himself he probably would have been back at his apt or dorm studying or just relaxing and not out abusing alchohol.  Where were his buddies when he needed them?

If a person can consume alchohol and never have problems with the law, employer or family, more power to you.  Not eveyone can go through life and have this experience. I havent kept up on the stats, but a growing percentage of people have had and will have problems with alchohol. I am one of them and maybe I am talking more than I should, but feel compelled to say something on this matter in particular. Its not normal behaviour, its a young man crying out for help.

Tthere seems to be much concern about binge drinking then there was maybe 40 years ago and reasonably so.  A young lady from a well known car dealership family in Nebraska died from alchohol poisioning so its easy for some to laugh it off but this girl's family is not laughing. If I recall correctly, this young lady was attending Colorado U. The family has started a scholarship or a fund in her name to prevent this sort of thing.

Looking back at my own life, alchohol was so important when I was a student at SDSU and my transcript relfects that. I finished near the bottom of my class and spent a great deal of time at Jim's Tap which at that time was run by Jim Urquart and some evenings it was only Jim and I in the bar. I am  sure Jim got tired of listening to a guy who hated himself.

This legal drug alchohol is not all fun and laughs for some of us.  Thats my point.  There needs to be education to balance this misleading image that  the beer industry in particular likes to feed to the young and unknowning public.  They do insert their caveat about drinking responsibly, but it just covers their butts legally and thats all.

Comment

I agree with both that it is a problem not to be taken lightly, but I also know we know little to no facts about this incident and shouldn't jump to any conclusions. I hope that those around him are there for him if he is having problems, but I agree that it is the culture and this isn't out of the norm for a college student FB player or not.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

First off, congratulations on 31 years of sobriety. ;D I'm not going to comment about this young man except to say that this is unfortunate. For the past 1 1/2 I have worked with alcoholics/addicts everyday. The addicts I've worked haven't had the opportunity for 31 years of sobriety, they're just teenagers. I'm not going say that drinking is wrong, if I did I'd be a hypocrite. But to some people, it's a disease. I commend you for your sobriety and only hope that the adolescents I work with can one day say that they're celebrating 30 years sober.

Comment

Thanks Rabbit in Vermillion.
            I said maybe way too much about my-self, but I have a hard time not sharing what I do know. I could be totally wrong about this fine young man and if so i owe him an apology for trying to read his mind. :-X

Comment

Wow, 98% of the people I knew in college are alcoholics then, including me. All of us seem to have moved on without counselling. The further we get from 21, the weaker the memory of 21 is.

Comment

Congrats on the sobriety! I also commend you. I have family members that have alcohol problems. I just think you guys are missing a key element. If I am not mistaken it was the kids 21 birthday. I played football here also. I know what it is like when one of your teammates turns 21. Game on!!!

Comment

Jack02,
                  Thankyou.  The thing I need to remember for myself is that I am one drink away from returning to a miserable 32 year old, who sobered up in a drunk tank with the lights on and only a concrete slab to lay. No fun at all. :-/

I guess I will never be 21 again in my life, but sure being legal is a big thing as it was when I turned 18 and could drink 3.2 beer. Why is it big? Because there were numerous illegal acts prior to the birthday committed in the form of underage drinking and again I am guilty as many others are too. I cant speak only for myself and not for everyone.

As I stated in the first post, I recognize a pattern here that is not healthy and the person who should be paying the most attention is not likely too. I know!!! I been there done that.

I do think the advertizing world seems to have glamorized a legal drug and made it all fun and games. (i.e Budwiser frogs, Swedish bikini team, and on and on.) The reality of alchohol consumption is that it has risks whether alone, in a group party or on the highway. People get hurt and make costly mistakes.

I bet that NDSU kicker is not feeling fun and games today but the shock of this past weekend is probably setting in and he probably needs a very good lawyer to fix this weekend's problem.

It would have been a great week for him, if he had not celebrated his birthday no. 21. Look at the score of the NDSU SUU game, 27 to 21, the margin of the win is two FG. He had a reason to be very proud of his accompolishments on the field. Now instead he has a legal problem to deal with and has a lot to loose.  The kicker has one problem with alchohol chalked up so far and whether his life will be one of problem drinking only time will tell.

Enough enough :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Comment

I also want to congratulate SDSUFAN and second his point about this kind of behavior. We will know more about his intent in the days and weeks to come when he has a chance to recognize his mistake and make amends. More importantly he needs to asure that this never happens to him again and the only sure way to do that is to abstain from alcohol use.

Alcoholics usually demonstrate a pattern of abuse early in their use of the drug. Some people recognize the problem and get the help they need before they harm themselves or others. Other people do not and the consequences can be deadly. It is the responsibility of society (NDSU and the FB team in this case) to make sure this student/player/young man gets the help he needs to prevent him from making further bad decisions when it comes to alcohol.

Off my soapbox.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have to add one of my favorite comments from a great readio show (Garage Logic): Uh, we don't know that.

I am someone what amazed by some of the responses regarding this news article. What do we know from the article - NDSU won a football game by six points, the kicker got drunk and was arrested on his 21st birthday.

We don't know if he EVER had any alcoholic beverage in his life before. We don't know if he has a tolerance so high that he could "drink us all under the table."

What we have on this thread is a lot of speculation. It may be right and may be wrong, but we don't know.

What we do know and should get back to is the fact that the Fargo paper laid out the process at NDSU, which the Argus did not do. I am more interested in that, but that has been gone over in great deal on another thread.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

First Row Fanantic:
                        If I appear to be speculating, then I apologize. I said through out my comments, that I see a pattern here and dont have the facts.  

I believe the court is going to learn the facts and a great deal about Cory Vartarnian and what his habits and behaviour have been prior to this incident. If there has been any social progress in the last 40 years, its been how the courts view alcholoh consumption and the recognition of a disease. This disease is one that can not be confirmed by lab tests or xrays like a physical disease such as cancer.  Behaviour patterns are the test, and maybe I have been presumptious and speculative in that sense, but I dont think so.

Only Cory Vartarnian knows whether he has a problem or not. Rest assurred, if he is to get out of this legal mess and reclaim his place on the football team, its going to require an alchohol evaluation and maybe other things besides a fine.  Maybe the home owners whose homes he entered may drop their charges, who knows. I dont.

Comment

This is ridiculous! It was his 21st birthday! For all we know, it could have been the VERY FIRST TIME he ever had alcohol, and it had an adverse affect on him. Maybe he wandered into these houses with other people as well. It does not say he was alone.

I will admit I had alcohol before, but I did go out and get smashed on my 21st birthday. However, I never even came close to being a big partier. Even the complete geeks at SDSU would go out and get smashed on their 21st birthday.

Bottom line - I hate it when this kind of stuff gets on these boards. Get off your soap boxes, and take it for what it is at face value - the kid mad a mistake and now he is paying for it. Do not even go to the point of saying he has alcohol problems, or other drug problems. We know nothing of this situation, so let's STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.

Comment

SDSUfan,
                            Apology accepted.

I do not know what the ND requirements regarding alcohol abuse evaluations are for what he is charged with, criminal trespass.

I agree behavior PATTERNS are the primary test for alcoholism. Because we only know of one incident, the belief that there is a pattern of behavior is definitionally speculative.

And now I bow to TK's demand and will stop talking about this topic.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Your welcome First Row, and TK I am stopping as of this post. Too much said already. ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X