GSU/SDSU 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSU/SDSU 2005

Hey guys - GSU fan from down south here - looking forward to greeting your team to the friendly confines of Paulson Stadium in a couple of weeks! However, that is not the reason for my post.

A few of my fellow fans and I are contemplating heading up to SD next October to the game, as well as some extracurriculars, which leads to three questions:

1) How in the heck do you get to Brookings from Atlanta? Where do you fly into and how far a drive is it from the airport?

2) Where are some recommendations to stay locally?

3) Any recommendations on places to get in a little pheasant hunting locally while we are out there? From your message board, it looks like our game with ya'll will be October 29 which I assume will be during the season. Thinking about coming out a day or two before the game.

Thanks for any thoughts and good luck this weekend!

Re: GSU/SDSU 2005

1) there are 3 places you could fly in to
    a. Sioux Falls -- 1 hr drive to Brookings
    b. Minneapolis -- 4 hr drive to Brookings
    c. Omaha -- 4.5 hr drive to Brookings
    Omaha and Sioux Falls are would be all interstate travel.

2) there are a number of hotels in Brookings (Holiday Inn express, Super 8, Fairfield Inn etc, all reasonble priced)

3) you can't hunt, you're not from sd Do a internet search for pheasant hunting in SD, you'll get plenty of hits. Brookings area traditionally has very good pheasant hunting. ;D

I'm sure others around here will have more in-depth info than me...we're a helpful bunch up in these parts...

Comment

GSU Fans,
      Sioux Falls will be by far the easiest to fly into. Brookings is an easy hour drive from there. From Atlanta, you can fly into SF on United connecting through Chicago O'Hare or Northwest Airlines connecting through Minneapolis. and I think you can now connect through Cincinnati on Delta. (Lots of options) Sioux Falls' airport is small - but nice.
      As far as hunting goes, You can hunt, it will just cost you a little more because your from out of state. Brookings County has excellent pheasant hunting.

Comment

I would think a Delta connection through Cincinatti to Sioux Falls would be the best flight option.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far. Been looking at flights and it looks like everything from Atlanta goes through Minneapolis. Not too bad.

Another question - what is your usual game time for home games in October?

Anybody have any experience with any pheasant guides within an hour drive or so?

Keep the info coming.

If I can be of any assistance to anyone coming south, let me know.

Comment

GSU1 ----- don't bother with guides. The best thing to do is to be kind to one of the Rabbits on this board and they might take you hunting. Don't know when the game is played next year. YOu can't shoot roosters until noon. Changes to 10 a.m. after we switch the clocks.

Seriously there are lots of roosters this year. A bad winter could change that. If you are serious about coming to hunt don't bring a bunch of guys. A few guys and a little charm will get you into places.

Comment

Try this web site: http://www.pheasantcountry.com/

Comment

Brookings has direct commuter airline flights from Omaha and Kansas City . . . Mesa Airlines.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sioux Falls will probably be the best bet for flights but you should consider the Mesa Airlines flights into Brookings. If you're having trouble with those connections, look at Northwest into Minneapolis and then the Northwest affiliate, Mesaba Airlines to Watertown, 45 minutes to the north.

Are you guys very good shots? You can only shoot the roosters and the daily limit is three. We all carry just three shells in our guns...that's all we need.

Pheasant Hunting: The Brookings area isn't bad...the best hunting in the State in recent years has been the south-central part of the State. If you drive west from Brookings an hour and more, you'll start getting into some great hunting.

Comment

"Are you guys very good shots?  You can only shoot the roosters and the daily limit is three.  We all carry just three shells in our guns...that's all we need."

Excuse me for interjecting as I was just enjoying reading the posts, but they allow you to take 3 shells into the fields when you can only take 3 roosters? We have the same general rule in our new "Canadian Pest Goose" hunting season with the exception we are only allowed 1 shell (we only take our shot when three are in a vertical, or horizonal line). Daddy taught us not to be wasteful of shells.

Comment

"Good shots"? I'm used to shooting little bitty quail down here so I can't imagine it would hard to hit a big ol' pheasant!

Seriously, I have shot pheasant on a quail plantation a couple of times and wanted to try some wild birds up your way. Wasn't looking necessarily for a fancy guide, just a good old boy with a few hundred acres he farms and guides on the side.

Thanks for all the info - good luck to you guys today.

Comment

PX: Of course, if we get three up at the same time, then we only need one shell.

[For you GSU people: we'll allow you to bring as many shells as you want...we're just joking about shooting ability.]

Comment

Working...
                        X