A Georgia Southern Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Georgia Southern Perspective

The folks from Statesboro love to point to their game with Georgia. I don't blame them, they gave it a good go. Let's look at who else Georgia Southern has played:

Georgia Southern 58, Wofford College 14. Wofford's record is 5-2.

Georgia Southern 38, Western Carolina 16. WC's record is 2-6.

Georgia Southern 48, Elon 14. Elon's record is 2-5.

Georgia Southern 51, Chattanooga 17. Chattanooga's record is 1-6.

Georgia Southern 84, Johnson C. Smith 3. Johnson C. Smith's record is 0-9.

Georgia Southern 42, The Citadel 7. The Citadel's record is 1-5.

Georgia Southern 54, Appalachian State 7. Appalachian's record is 5-3.

Re: A Georgia Southern Perspective

Beat two teams with winning records. How'd you like to be an alum of Johnson C. Smith?

Comment

The fact that they dominated so completly shows they are an explosive team. The level of competition shows they are untested. Interesting. If you can get to them, you might expose a lack of character, something you build with strong opponents and close games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
        Beat two teams with winning records.  How'd you like to be an alum of Johnson C. Smith?
        I read somewhere maybe on the SWAC board that Johnson C. Smith, who happens to be a historically black college, had very few scholarships for football. One of their alums who is visible in the business world was starting a fund drive to raise funds in order to be at least competitive in Football.  They like SDSU have had finer days in the sport of basketball.  I trying to think of the little basketball player from Brooklyn who had extreme quickness skills and has now started a summer basketball league and tournament in his old neighborhood. He also had a battle with drugs. His story was on HBO a few years back and he once had scholarship at Johnson C. Smith.  Oh boy I am digreesing okay, enough said.

Thanks Alum guy for doing some checking and I had been curious about the wide margins of victory in some of GSU games.  That is not to say they are not a good football team. I think GSU is good, but we have shown what we can do too, so lets strap on the helments and play ball ;D ;D

Comment

No eagles squawking on this thread. Good post Alumguy.

Comment

Not going to squawk, but we beat the then #5 team in the country by 44, and beat App State by 47 the week after they beat #2 Furman. Aside from UGA, we really haven't been tested. The honest to God truth is there aren't many teams out there that can compete on our level. It might sound like I'm bragging, but as the scores will affirm, so far this year it's been like men playing against boys.

The records of our opponents doesn't matter. It always seems to be that way.

Is anyone from this board going to the game?

Comment

The level of competition shows they are untested.
              GSU has a higher ranked schedule than SDSU, and has excelled against it.

The two ranked teams that the Eagles have faced this year have been dominated by them, while the two ranked schools that SDSU have faced have resulted in an L for the Jackabbits.

If you can get to them, you might expose a lack of character, something you build with strong opponents and close games.
              The character of this years GSU team was built last year when 3 of the 4 games that they lost came after being either tied, or in the lead in the 4th quarter. A 7-4 record that most schools would be thrilled about led to a public statement by the team at this years spring banquet that a repeat of that performance was in their own eyes unacceptable. So instead of being tested, they are schooling.

If you can get to them
              The Jackabbits can't get to them, IMO.

Squawk.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesrthe1

GSU has a higher ranked schedule than SDSU, and has excelled against it.

I disagree. GSU has faced three big opponents, but the rest are puffs.

The Sagarin rates GSU's at 152nd out of all the NCAA DivI and SDSU at 121.

Comment

Also there are only 3 teams rated higher on the Sagarin list that have tougher schedules.

I think this game could be within 2 TD's just as easy as being a 5TD blowout.

Just have to wait for Saturday :-/

Comment

Sagarin does not include div II games, thereby artificially raising the SOS of the Jacks by omitting the 3 that SDSU plays.

Massey ranks the GSU sched @ 31, and the SDSU sched @ 34 among div IAA schools. Massey does include div II games.

Comment

[quote author If you can get to them, you might expose a lack of character, something you build with strong opponents and close games.[/quote]

It really makes me nervous when so many of my fellow GSU fans make like this game will be a "run-away" because we haven't seen your team play, and really haven't been tested by the folks we've played. I know it looks like our Eagles are hitting on all "8" cylinders now, but geeze I hate overconfidence. Also each season several teams get a surprise playing what should be a "piece of cake" opponent. I don't want to get over optomistic and make predictions that will make me look real silly if I'm wrong. I think our Eagles will win. I don't know if it will be by a small margin or a large one, I'll settle for either. What I hope for is a clean game, no injured players and everyone one leaving the stadium with appreciation for the skills and class of BOTH teams. I would hope we could wind up with an appreciation for each other's teams as we do the Montana Grizzlies.. Not a distasteful situation like we have presently with a couple of our opponents. I would like Paulson Stadium to be the place our opponents come and get their respective butts whipped, but go home feeling like they (and their fans) were well treated but beaten fair and square. I would be extremely surprised if you "exposed a lack of character in our Eagle Team... I don't believe there is any "lack of character" to be exposed.. We'll see ya at "our house" ;D

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesrthe1
                        Sagarin does not include div II games, thereby artificially raising the SOS of the Jacks by omitting the 3 that SDSU plays.

Massey ranks the GSU sched @ 31, and the SDSU sched @ 34 among div IAA schools. Massey does include div II games.

That shows the schedules are about the same. Is that only games played or the whole season?

Comment

That shows the schedules are about the same.
                          Exactly. I wasn't trying to say that the Eagles schedule was that much better than the Jackrabbits, just that it wasn't weaker.

Don't know if it is just games played to date or not. GSU still has of course SDSU, then Furman, and the last game is with FIU (1A). So I doubt that the SOS will suffer if it is just games played to date. OTOH, from the Jackrabbits viewpoint your SOS will be getting a big boost this weekend if it is.

Comment

Don't forget the Jacks are playing their entire DIAA schedule on the road with the exception of NDSU which we won. We have gone into some pretty tough places on the road and played competively with a large scholarship difference. This weekend is no exception.

Comment

PX,

That was a very refreshing post. I echo your hopes for a clean, injury-free game with both teams playing to their potential. Good luck to your Eagles, but I hope that they are on the losing end this weekend. Either way it should be a good barometer for both teams.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X