Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota St. Team Up Close

http://www.southern-connection.com/p...ic.php?t=11884
    I was one of the team bus drivers for the JackRabbits.

When I arrived in Pooler Saturday morning (7:45am) I knew things were working our way. Their travel planner had put the team and their fans in the Ramada Inn Limited in Pooler (a.k.a. Roach Motel). It seems there were many parties that night. Do they rent rooms by the hour?

SERIOUSLY......

I have driven many teams in the past including our own Eagles. This group was absolutely the most focused, well mannered, desent group of men I have ever had the pleasure of transporting.

They did not say a single word over to Paulsen from Pooler, or back to the airport. The head coach was on my bus. NO ONE MOVED until he told them to. We took them to breakfast Saturday morning and when we arrived at the restaurant they stayed seated and silent until told to move. In the restaurant they talked very quietly to each other, but waited for the bus drivers to get their food first! I did have to explain to them about Pork Rinds and Grits.

When we got back to the airport they got off the bus without a word. Then the HEAD COACH went back to make sure the bus was cleaned up with all trash in the waste basket. I hate to tell you what our buses look like after the Eagles get off. Eagle Fans would not like what they would see.

Then, as they walked into the terminal an assistant coach came up to each driver and put a tip in his hands. WOW! A TIP? REAL MONEY?

The coaches really thought they had a good chance of beating us. They had lost 3 close games to Top 25 teams. After the game I think they were shocked, to say the least. One coach promised me that next year the field in Brookings will have 6"grass covered in 5" of snow!

One interesting piece of info........I asked a coach about the Great West Conference and if they were going to add any new members. He said there is a lot of talk about the Big Sky taking in the Great West next year and making two divisions, with a division championship game. (like the SEC) Interesting.......................

I am glad we played well and won big. But I have to be honest and say that the attitude and focus of the Jackrabbits has made me have MUCH MUCH MUCH respect for South Dakota State Univeristy and their coaching staff. This group is a REAL CLASS ACT!
    This is just one example of a program that is going to enjoy MUCH success in the near future!

Re: South Dakota St. Team Up Close

As a former player I can say that is the nom. for behavior on road games. That all goes back to our head coach. Coach Stg. is a class act. Thank you for shareing this with us.

Comment

Working...
    X