HOBO DAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOBO DAY

I hope we see a huge crowd at Coughlin for Hobo Day on November 6th regardless of what happens this weekend against Georgia Southern . The team has played arguably the most difficult schedule in DIAA and shown so much heart!I hope people will show their support and appreciation for how hard they have competed against teams that on paper should be blowing the Jacks out. Look forward to playing our first NCC team this year. I give Augie a lot of credit for not being vindicative and having the pride to play SDSU. We will be in the same position as many of our opponents this year and that being we are expected to win handily. By the way Nagy has encouraged people who want to watch the Jacks basketball team practice can come by Frost prior to the game at 10am.

Re: HOBO DAY

I will be there. ;D ;D

Comment

Oh man do I wish I could be there, however that is impossible. Augie just gave UMD their first NCC win ever, and it wasn't close. Since I work across the street from Daugie-ville, I can't wait to walk all over that campus with my Jacks gear on after we pound the snot out of them. They are still cocky after their "great start" and think it will be an easy game for them to pull off the win.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

It's time to focus on the Vikings!

Go State, beat Augie! ;D

Comment

Hopefully the teams learns something from that loss and is able to move on full speed to Augie.

I would like to see them play a solid game with high execution and low mistakes.

Oh, and hopefully the learned some tips for running up the score 8)

Comment

The Jacks need to take the lesson that when you play any opponent, attack like you think they are going to get every break and when you have them down, don't ease up.

Hobo Day means you need to play with intensity and give a stellar performance; even if you are playing a lowly D2 cellar dwellar. Augie's season would be MADE with an upset. Lets hope the Jacks CRUSH that idea in the first few moments of the game.

Kennel up, Daugies, your play time is over.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

"Oh, and hopefully the learned some tips for running up the score"

I assure you GSU DID NOT try to run up the score.  I was at the game and early in the 3rd quarter until the end of the game we played EVERYBODY.  Our starting quarterback was pulled after the first play of the 3rd quarter.  He only played one play in order to give the fans a chance to cheer for him when he was to be pulled.  He did cramp up, went to the locker room, came back and watched the rest of the game on the sidelines, thankfully he was not injured as we face a big test next week with our arch-rival Furman.  Please ask someone who watched the game and I think you will find you are mistaken about why the score was so one-sided.  Our team plays hard the first half, no matter what the score.  Our backups play hard thereafter.  You simply cannot tell your subs to "take it easy" on an opponent.  One reason is the subs need the real game experience, and they are each trying to make the best impression in the limited playing time they have.  The 2nd reason is no team with any pride wants the opponent to roll over and play dead, it would be humilating.  The only thing GSU did after the subs came in was to run, run, run up the middle, over and over.  Your Coach knew what we were doing.  It's the same thing your team will be doing to opponents once you get stronger with your new scholarships, giving you more players, therefore more depth.  Also, it was "Family Day" and many players had their families in the stands so they were trying to look great for Mom n' Dad too.   During the 1st quarter I wasn't sure we weren't in for a real dog-fight as your players were HUGE, and your team scored quite easily.  I think the humidity, lack of player depth, and playing in our house were all factors in your loss and the number of touchdowns scored by GSU.  For the most part I saw a very clean game, and you just got steamrolled by a team near the top of the heap of 1AA, while your team's star is just on the rise.  We will see you next year at your place and it might be your team that comes out on top.  Everyone I talked to spoke very highly of the Jackrabbits and their fans, and I hope your team and fans who actually were at the game, or saw the game will say the same for us.  Just because the score was so large and one-sided does not mean the Eagles were running up the score.  Deliberately running up the score is a two edged sword..  It only makes your opponent want to return the favor at a later game, and shows lack of respect for your opponents, and is classless.  To be honest, most of our opponents find winning at Paulson Stadium in Statesboro is pretty difficult.  Thanks to all the Jackrabbits and their fans for playing us, and hope the rest of the season goes well for you.  Best Wishes!

Comment

PX I have to disagree with you. Going for it on fourth down twice in the 4th quarter with the game no longer in doubt does constitute running up the score. Especially when you obviously have a placekicker that can kick the ball. Also, If you are truly trying to prepare for the future, how about working the punter? It would seem to me during the playoffs he might need some work.

Comment

We go "for it" on 4th down almost ALL of the time when the needed yardage is within any reasonable distance.. We went for it against your guys in the 1st series of the 1st quarter and didn't make it, but that didn't stop us from trying it over and over again. We have a pretty good field goal kicker and I think we could have made a few field goals if we had tried. When we "went for it" on 4th and whatever late in the game did we run up the middle, or try and use the triple option, or pass? Not trying to be confrontational here, the game is history, but did you watch the game? I take great pride in from what I've seen our Eagles have NEVER deliberately run up the score. If we had wanted to run up the score we could have left our first team in and without doubt continued to score. How many triple option pitch outs or passes did you see in the 2nd half of the game? It's really hard not to score when you run the ball straight up the middle, again and again, and have the defense not stop it. When you get to the end of the subs bench and they continue to play well what is a coach suppose to do? I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and I know I can't change your mind, but I think the majority of both Jackrabbit and Eagle fans who actually viewed the game did not leave the game thinking GSU had deliberately run up the score. From the opinions I heard personally at the game, and from the great majority of post's I've read, both on our TSC site and this one I am left feeling that both teams left the field with a great deal of respect for the other. I think the players shaking hands after the game was classy, and if you had been there, even tho it's not "politically correct" you would have observed the entire Eagle team and coaches saying a prayer at mid-field. I personally have a great deal of respect for the SUDU team and the fans. I think we have seen, hopefully, only the 1st game in a long series to come. And I don't feel it will be adversarial in nature like our relationship with Applachian State. You are certainly entitlied to your opinion I just think you are mistaken. Best wishes, again, for success the rest of the season.

Comment

GSU does go for it on fourth down a lot. It's just part of their regular offensive game plan. I think the WNAX guys said the first time they went for it on that first drive (the time we stopped them) that it was their 23rd fourth down attempt this year or something. So that seems to be the way they play it all the time. They haven't punted or kicked field goals very often this year. If it's part of your regular offensive routine, I don't think you can be accused of running up the score.

I think 1stRowFanatic said it best:

"The Jacks need to take the lesson that when you play any opponent, attack like you think they are going to get every break and when you have them down, don't ease up."

Georgia Southern never lets up on you. The Jacks can learn from that.

Comment

Hey PX chill out, I believe you.  There is no question that GSU has depth and with your reserves getting as much as a half of playing time, you will probably continue to have depth.  I dont know why we did not stop the run up the middle, I sure our coaches will be looking at that part of the tape this week and trying to make some adjustments.

Our lowly foe, Augustana College next week will probably get that game video so I think we should expect some of these same running plays from the Lutherans, this coming Saturday in Brookings on Hobo Day, our home coming.

Just a quick history lesson on how our homecoming became Hobo Day. In 1912, the college where the late Lyle Alsado played, Yankton College, was scheduled to come to Brookings to play the Jacks who were having problems getting school spirit out of our approx mately 300 students. To build spirit, the student body organized a parade down to the train station, to meet the Yankton College team, not to harass the opponents, but to show their spirit and to let them know they would hear noise the next day.  Then they took the theme of being Hobos by begging for food from Brooking Residents and held a Hobo Stew after the game that was won over Yankton College. Our current students do not beg for food, but do collect food for charity. The theme grew to include junk cars with all kinds of things, that hobos would not have time to build in between catching trains, but it made it an interesting parade.

Yankton College no longer is in existance and a Federal Prison now occupys the campus.

SDSU has continued the Hobo tradition over the years by having a parade from campus to downtown. Recent years, neighboring high school bands have made the parade longer and its a tradition that lives on, and our team is always pumped for this game. I hope the score will be 63-7 this Saturday only in favor of SDSU. I think this is what Jack99 meant by learning to run up the score. Not necessarily a dig against GSU.

I understand to that when the reserves are in the game, they need to be learning the system that the first string bunch knows well enough to be considered a starter.  Also I suspect certain GSU reserves might move up in the depth chart on good plays like running up the middle. As you said it was parent days, and these things come into play.

The score to me reflects the difference in depth and the availability of recruits in your region. SDSU's  player No. 1 Solomon Johnson is from Petersburg Fla and I think we need to look at this area(florida and Georgia) for some quality recruits. Solo as they call Solomon has lived through 3 or 4 South Dakota winters so others will too.  Solo's family I understand was at the game too, so this game was good for his family if nothing else.

Good luck to GSU and hey we dont regret playing you all.

Comment

PX I was at the game and saw everything. I know that you guys go for it a lot on fourth down. Our coaches knew that also I am sure. You are right, there were few options in the second half. You are also right that you will not change my mind. Just because a team doesn't punt a lot does not make it ok to not punt or kick a field goal when they are up 49 late in the fourth quarter.

All that being said, at every level people always accuse powerhouses of running up the score. There is no doubt you guys are in that class. I hope you go on and finish on top. The depth you have is amazing and beyond anything we have played to this point.

Comment

Wow, didn't know we would turn the Hobo Day thread into this :-[

I chose the wrong words, didn't mean any disrespect to the Eagles near-flawless performance. 1st row said it much better.

I'll try again:

I hope the Jacks learned from GSU with a good lead to keep going strong to the 4th and not give any team get a chance to get back in the game.

However I do feel that if we are up by 3-4 TD's in the 4th Stig won't be too agressive.

Comment

I agree, how about we start a new Hobo Day thread.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                              PX I was at the game and saw everything. I know that you guys go for it a lot on fourth down. Our coaches knew that also I am sure. You are right, there were few options in the second half. You are also right that you will not change my mind. Just because a team doesn't punt a lot does not make it ok to not punt or kick a field goal when they are up 49 late in the fourth quarter.

All that being said, at every level people always accuse powerhouses of running up the score. There is no doubt you guys are in that class. I hope you go on and finish on top. The depth you have is amazing and beyond anything we have played to this point.

I have to agree with the rabbits on this one. I would say Mike Sewak has turned into the Steve Spurrier of I-AA. I think its important for a team to have confidence, but up 35 or more points and going for it on 4th down constitutes running up the score. Now I dont condemn it by GSU, I actually think its funny. We always go for it on 4th down because I think Sewak likes getting to the "averages" when it comes to points per game and whatnot. If you watch the Sewak show, you would understand what i'm talking about. Last week at the citadel, he seemed depressed that we didn't score more than 42 points. He said he would have liked to put another 2-3 touchdowns up but it just didn't happen. All powerhouses are accused of this, and usually its because they are doing it. We are a powerhouse and we are doing it, there is no disputing that.

Comment

Working...
                              X