Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there still a title chance ?

Title, Playoffs, and Bears, oh my!

Two weeks left, and it seems only right that nearly nothing is decided in this first season of Great West action. Four teams still have a chance to at least share the conference championship. Cal Poly is still fighting for a playoff spot. And now the Bears have emerged with a chance to win a share of this title. With their win three teams sit with one loss. This should be one heck of a finish, so let's break it all down starting with how each team can win the conference title.

Cal Poly: With a win this weekend, guaranteed at least a share of the title. If Cal Poly wins, and UC Davis loses, Cal Poly wins it outright.

UC Davis: With a win this weekend, also guaranteed of a share of the title. Can win title outright if Northern Colorado beats Cal Poly this weekend, and then UNC loses to South Dakota State the following weekend.

Northern Colorado: Can gain at least a share of the title with win this weekend and Aggies loss. Can win title outright if aforementioned happens, and then the Bears win next weekend against the Jackrabbits. Will still share title if they win, and Aggies win, but must win the following weekend against South Dakota State.

South Dakota State: The Jacks also still have an outside shot to share the title. SDSU would need UNC to beat Cal Poly, NDSU to win in Davis, and then win against Northern Colorado in the final week. With this scenario four teams would finish with two losses, and all four would share the first-ever conference championship.

For the next few seasons four teams all still in provisional status and waiting out their four year period before they are playoff eligible. This leaves just Cal Poly and Southern Utah as the only teams that could be a part of postseason play. Just two weeks ago Cal Poly was undefeated, and ranked No. 5 in the nation. They seemed a lock for a playoff spot. Two weeks later, and two losses later, things are a little more concerning. So where does Cal Poly sit with just two games remaining? Well to answer that question I turned to Matt Dougherty, who covers I-AA at the national level for the Sports Network. I asked Matt if Cal Poly wins their final two games, which by no means are assured, where do they sit in the playoff pecking order?

By Chris Kelly

For full article
    http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...111004aaa.html

Working...
X