• Show
Clear All

• Watson story

Anthony Watson made the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article4.shtml

SDSU's Watson punishes enemy defenses
    Chris Solari

published: 11/18/2004

There's a saying around the South Dakota State football team - you're either the hammer, or you're an anvil.

You know what you're going to get every time Anthony Watson carries the ball. When the sophomore lowers his shoulder, he bludgeons opponents with so much force that he may as well be called the Jackrabbits' jackhammer.

"He hits a guy, he buckles, then he goes and gets another couple yards," Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "The guy's dragging him, then there's two more guys. They make the tackle, but it's not the way they wanted it to be.

"Wats is a hammer. He hits people. Very seldom has he truly been hit."

With the Jacks preparing for their last game of the season, Saturday at Northern Colorado, Watson is just 5 yards shy of the 15th 1,000-yard rushing season in school history. The running back from Worthington, Minn., averages 99.5 yards a game on the ground, good for second in the Great West Football Conference stats this season.

"You have to have a defense mechanism when you see those big guys," said Watson, whose chiseled 5-foot-10, 220-pound frame is similar to that of a wrecking ball. "You might be stronger than those guys, you might be faster, you might be smarter. But you have to have something that defines you."

Pinball-style runs have been Watson's calling card this year. He had TD runs in home games against Winona State and North Dakota State that reminded many of the powerful form of former Jackrabbit Josh Ranek, knocking defenders over and towing them along toward the end zone. Coaches have likened Watson's ability to that of Ranek, who is now in the Canadian Football League, since he took over the starting job last year.

But Watson's defining game this year was in SDSU's upset of Southern in late September. True to a season-long form of picking up his production in the second half, Watson finished with 110 yards on 27 carries as the Jackrabbits rallied for a 31-24 victory.

"We weren't weak-minded," Watson recalled. "Me feeding of my teammates, as well as my teammates feeding off me, I made myself appear to be stronger in the second half than I was in the first half."

Behind an oft-injured offensive line that has carved out big holes, Watson has nine rushing scores. He's also improved as a receiver, catching 37 passes for 303 yards and two TDs.

It's only part of the growth that Watson hopes he can continue into his final two seasons. To reach the same level as Ranek, the school's all-time leading rusher, Watson feels he must improve his speed and knowledge of the game.

"If you think you're playing to your potential, I think you're not right," Watson said. "If you think you've reached your potential, you haven't. There's always room for improvement." . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Watson story

The first time I saw him run the ball (against Winona in 2003) I knew he was special. Now that he has limited his fumbles he has met my expectations. He is and will continue to be a premier back in the GWFC and maybe even DIAA.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Watson story

If he has a good game this week he could end up being the yardage leader in the GWFC. Not too shabby for a SDSU team that was supposed to be a pass first run second type offense this year.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
      X