• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs

Cal Poly Snubbed!!!!! Here is the article from 1AA.org

I-AA Playoff Selection: Pity Poor Cal Poly
    David Coulson, Senior Columnist

As a kid growing up in Fresno, Ca., it was only natural to become a Fresno State fan — a school that would eventually become my alma mater.

And as a young Bulldog supporter, you quickly learned to have a strong dislike for San Jose State Spartans, San Diego State Aztecs and Cal Poly Mustangs.

So the next sentence I write is especially surprising to me.

This afternoon, my heart goes out for poor Cal Poly.

It seems like every year there is one team that gets hosed by the NCAA Division I-AA selection committee. Two years ago, it was the Wofford Terriers and it started our tradition of presenting the snubbed team with the annual Woofy Award.

And this year’s Woofy goes to Cal Poly.

The Mustangs finished 9-2, beating three of four Big Sky Conference opponents they played, and won the Great West Conference. But there was no love on Sunday for Cal Poly.

And the main reason the Mustangs were snubbed may have been the recipient of last year’s Woofy Award, Lehigh. Lehigh was the co-champion of the Patriot League and also finished 9-2, but the Mountain Hawks played a weak non-conference schedule that included two Northeast Conference opponents (Stoney Brook and Albany).

Those old Engineers made it easy for the selection committee to leave them out when they blew a 7-0 halftime lead at Lafayette and lost the game and the PL automatic bid, 24-10.

But the biggest reason Lehigh got in was the committee didn’t want to disappoint the Mountain Hawks and deal with the ensuing storm of criticism two years in a row.

Last year, sources told me that there was a faction on the committee that wanted to include Lehigh ahead of Bethune-Cookman, but that another faction didn’t want to deal with the political fallout of excluding the 9-2 Wildcats, the runner-up from the MEAC.

Lehigh had the more solid resume and played a tougher schedule than Bethune-Cookman, but the Wildcats got the bid. It also didn’t hurt that B-CC provided a cheap travel excursion for Florida Atlantic.

So in a sense, Sunday’s vote for Lehigh is the committee’s way of saying “We’re sorry for 2003.” The NCAA saved a truckload of cash with this year’s snub of Cal Poly as well. Instead of carting the Mustangs off to Missoula, Mont., the committee can send James Madison on a short hop from Harrisonburg, Va. to Bethelem, Pa.

It also didn’t help that the Great West Conference, in its first year of competition doesn’t have a member on the selection committee. The Patriot League, like all of the other conferences with the eight automatic bids, has a representative on the committee.

So pity, poor Cal Poly. Just keep in mind that the last two Woofy Award winners have made it into the playoff field the following season.

Re: Playoffs

Here is the playoff preview from the same article

Breaking Down The Field

There were no surprises for me among the top four seeds. Southern Illinois, Furman, William & Mary and Georgia Southern — seeded one through four in that order — were the obvious choices.

From a regionalization and bracketing standpoint, it also made sense to send Georgia Southern to the Western bracket.

It also set up some monster matchups in the top half of the draw.

Southern Illinois has the task of stopping two of the top passing offenses in the country in playoff newby Eastern Washington and a potential second-round matchup against Sam Houston State to reach the semifinals.

I’m not saying that the Salukis will lose either of those games but quarterbacks Erik Meyer and Dustin Long could make things tough on SIU. And should Sam Houston State stumble at home to Western Kentucky in the first round, SIU would be facing a Gateway rival that know the Salukis all too well.

One of the pluses to SIU’s draw is the fact that EWU is making its first playoff appearance and most of Sam Houston State’s players also are without playoff experience. Of course, WKU won the national championship just two years ago by beating the Gateway champion along the way.

Georgia Southern’s spread option should have little trouble putting up points on New Hampshire, but the Eagles will have to find a way to shut down freshman quarterback sensation Ricky Santos with their blitzing, pressure defense.

Probably no I-AA team wears as much tradition as Georgia Southern, with its six national championship banners flying from Paulson Stadium. And keep in mind that GSU has only lost two playoff games ever in Statesboro, Ga. and has never dropped a first-round game anywhere.

This writer was in the press box the last time UNH participated in a playoff game in 1994.

It was the shortest overtime game in NCAA history — two plays. Appalachian State fullback Aldwin Lance dashed 25 yards on the first play and two-time Buchanan Award-winning linebacker Dexter Coakley forced a fumble on the next play as the Mountaineers beat the Wildcats 17-10.

It was also the day that my computer froze in the 20-degree open-air press box of ancient Cowell Stadium. You can believe that there are a lot of folks happy that New Hampshire will be playing this game on the road.

Including New Hampshire. The Wildcats have actually been a tougher team away from Durham, N.H. this season, with both of the Wildcats’ losses being on the road. Paulson Stadium won’t scare UNH either, the Wildcats have already won at Delaware’s Tubby Raymond Field this year.

Looming in the second round is the survivor of the Montana-Northwestern State game in Missoula. Call this one the best matchup of the first round, with Northwestern State’s top-ranked defense going against Craig Ochs and the wide-open Montana passing attack. The lower half of the draw is almost dull by comparison.

William & Mary would rank as a near-prohibitive favorite against Hampton. Tribe quarterback Lang Campbell should have little trouble slicing up the Pirate defense.

Delaware matches up well defensively against Lafayette, the surprise winner of the Patriot League auto bid. Lafayette likes to run behind senior Joe McCourt, the Blue Hens stop the run as good as anyone.

Lehigh should have an early exit at home against James Madison. The Dukes are tough defensively and have a coach in Mickey Matthews who is no stranger to I-AA playoff success. Matthews was the defensive coordinator at Marshall during its I-AA glory days.

Furman has as much talent as anyone in the country and its tough defense against the run should have little trouble with Jacksonville State.

The fact the Paladins, who have their problems with pass defense, will face running teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs should make it easy for them to reach the semifinals. So my flying without a net prediction?

I see two teams from the same conference reaching the championship game for the first time, with Georgia Southern and Furman facing off in front of a large crowd on Dec. 17 in Chattanooga, Tenn. And though Furman won the SoCon auto bid with a 29-22 victory at home against Georgia Southern three weeks ago, I see the Eagles hoisting another championship banner -- No. 7 -- when this shooting match is done.

Comment

Poly got hosed... The Great West Conf. was the second strongest D1AA conference- only behind the A-10 (Sagarin Ratings) And it was just behind the D1A Mid American Conf.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
        Poly got hosed... The Great West Conf. was the second strongest D1AA conference- only behind the A-10 (Sagarin Ratings) And it was just behind the D1A Mid American Conf.
        No doubt, I don't even know what to say. IAA bigwigs keep talking about how they want to strengthen the league and then they prevent the team who won the conference title in one of the toughest conferences in the nation from playing in the post-season. What a load of BS. This pisses me off to no end and I am not interested in excuses or rhetoric. Someone screwed up here and better be held accountable.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Here's my thoughts on it all- it was finally posted last night.

http://greatwestfootball.collegespor...112204aaa.html

Comment

Working...
          X