Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Season

Overall a great start in D1.

It had some great moments. I think the most imprortant thing we can take away from this season is the fact that it laid the foundation for the years to come. I think in the next few years we wil experience a lot of highs and lows, but I think that we will see a steady rise of success at the D1 level.

I also think that what we accomplished in football was very important in setting the tone for all of SDSU sports at the D1 level.

Re: The Season

A great start, yes. That's the key thing, I think. This season was a completely new start. Moving away from DII was exactly what the program needed as a kick-start. The old heierarchy no longer applies. We're no longer a close second-tier in the NCC, where we seemed lodged for about three decades. The coaches and players had a chance this year to separate themselves from old expectations and test themselves against new opponents. They made a great start of it, and if we can see this 6-5 season as a foundation and build from that, the program can really make some strides. Congratulations to the coaches, players and administrators.

Comment

At the beginning of the season, I'd have been way surprised we'd go 6-5. Jacks football was an exciting thing this year. I see the roles reversed, ironically, in Jacks sports this year. I think our BB team is going to get killed a lot this year unfortunately, and our FB team proved formidable. I'm very impressed with this Jacks football team and already am looking forward to what we might be able to do next year.

Comment

I would be in favor of chipping in a few bucks to purchase a plaque that is heart shaped and presenting to coach Stig in honor of this years team.

I was at the game and Saturday morning Sam Masteri, the veteran sports writer for the Greeley Tribune had predicted a score of 38-20 UNC favor. I read his analysis and thought he is wrong. With coveralls and heavyjacket I sat through entire game and knew our guys would win. Some one else quoted the Greeley tribune and Kay Dalton UNC coach said this in that same article that this was the poorest offenive game that he coached. The UNC O LINE is very young and our D people made plays that made the difference. Hank Mc Call did a great job on Vincent Jackson is the best player I have seen in 20 years. Both UNC QB had a hard time getting their passes off and fell short of Jackson several times. We were getting at them.
        I do think UNC is a much better team then their 2-9 recird, the talent is there, but maybe not the coaching that they have had in the past.

Our guys showed in the final game what they have done all season and that is to play heart and thats why they should have a plaque they have earned it.

Comment

Sitting here in Boise and watching all of the hype about an undefeated season and an outside shot at a BCS Bowl (and the $14 million that comes with it), I thought I'd post some information on the Boise State program to give an idea of where they came from:

First year in football: 1968
          NCAA Small College/Division II: 1968 to 1977
          NCAA Division I-AA: 1978 to 1995
          NCAA Division I-A: 1996 to present
          No. 7 in the BCS standings: This week.

I'm sure there was plenty of dissent when the Broncos made each of their moves to a different division. However, with each move there were plenty of people who gave it the proper long-term perspective and the university is really reaping the benefits of that perspective today. I'm not saying we can expect an identical ascension into the elite ranks of sports, but I have to say I like SDSU's chances. The Jacks made a lot of noise on the football field this year and things should only get better. The basketball program will have a few growing pains, but, in due time, should make even more noise.

Go Big Blue!

Comment

Working...
          X