Big Sky Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sky Conference

I didn't mean any disregard among you folks when I mentioned football tradition. However, you can't argue against our back 2 back national titles and our conference championships. North Dakota State can say the same thing. Thus, we have a stronger tradition. Not to say that you folks don't have a good tradition. Our other sports are good too. We have a very good baseball and volleyball programs that are already doing well against division 1 teams. Our basketball programs are up and coming. As I mentioned before UNC is a teachers college, and if your a teacher making very little money to begin with how are you going to give much money back to your respected institutions. There are only three other universities in the entire country that have produced more teachers in the last century then UNC. Our alumni just don't have that kind of cash! Our facilities might be the only thing to hold us back. Nottingham Field will hold about 8,500 once the new student section is finally finished. Butler Hanckock seats about 6,000. Also, we might have a big edge because our former Athletic Director is now the AD at Northern Arizona. That's a huge connection. As a whole though, Colorado recruting has been down. Most of the good high school players go out of state, they don't even stay and play for CU or CSU. We are really feeling the affects of that.

Re: Big Sky Conference

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
    I didn't mean any disregard among you folks when I mentioned football tradition.  However, you can't argue against our back 2 back national titles and our conference championships.  North Dakota State can say the same thing.  Thus, we have a stronger tradition.  Not to say that you folks don't have a good tradition.  Our other sports are good too.  We have a very good baseball and volleyball programs that are already doing well against division 1 teams.  Our basketball programs are up and coming.  As I mentioned before UNC is a teachers college, and if your a teacher making very little money to begin with how are you going to give much money back to your respected institutions.  There are only three other universities in the entire country that have produced more teachers in the last century then UNC.  Our alumni just don't have that kind of cash!  Our facilities might be the only thing to hold us back.  Nottingham Field will hold about 8,500 once the new student section is finally finished.  Butler Hanckock seats about 6,000.  Also, we might have a big edge because our former Athletic Director is now the AD at Northern Arizona.  That's a huge connection.  As a whole though, Colorado recruting has been down.  Most of the good high school players go out of state, they don't even stay and play for CU or CSU.  We are really feeling the affects of that.  
    This is a much more sensible, rational, and logical analysis.  UNC does have an excellent baseball and VB team.  The FB program was a DII powerhouse in the 90's.  I'm not sure how the decision to move DI was made and what kind of inroads have been attempted or traversed during the first few years at DI.  Has far as I know the formation of the GWFC by the addition of SDSU and NDSU to the DIAA ranks is the first conference affiliation for UNC.  Perhaps I am mistaken.   Can you provide any insight as to why, how and where UNC has gone thus far at the DI level?  
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Big Sky Conference

This came out of the Mitchell paper today....interesting...

University of South Dakota athletic director
      Joel Nielsen says U-S-D will "always leave the door open" for a switch
      to N-C-A-A Division One athletics.
      But Nielsen quickly adds that his school has no plans right now.
      Three schools, including South Dakota State, have abandoned the
      North Central Conference and moved to Division One. And the University
      of North Dakota is considering it.
      That would leave U-S-D and five other schools in the Division Two
      league.
      Nielsen says Division Two works for U-S-D now. But he says
      officials do talk about Division One.
      He says U-S-D has committees in place to discuss a possible move
      in the future. But, according to Nielsen, other schools' moves won't
      prompt U-S-D to make any snap decisions.

Comment

Working...
      X