UNC page and BSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNC page and BSC

UNC has a fan page that is: uncbearssports.com . It is not as active as this. Although, it does have a nice picture of our 2 national titles that you rabbits fans can remember! Anyways, it sounds like you guys have the same amount of scholarships we UNC has. Who would you like to see added in the Big Sky Conference? I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU and UNC. Sorry, don't take it personaly, but UNC and NDSU have a much richer tradition then SDSU. Bear Down!

Re: UNC page and BSC

Bear Down is right! You said it yourself on another thread you are dead in the heart of CSU and UC country. Your fan support is meager at best and when it comes to tradition SDSU is hands down above NDSU and UNC in the big money sport (basketball). Assuming that only football history is all this selection is about is a bit diluted. I forsee all of us getting in though and then we can all build a new tradition of domination in the BSC.

Comment

UNC does need to step up their support and facilities in order to be competive in D1 and in a conference like the Big Sky. But they are a nice fit regionally for the conference and I think they will get in. And since NDSU is so well liked by the Montana St president(and a few others) I think they will get in as welll and since NDSU can't be left out  on their own the Big Sky will take SDSU along with the herd. UND could be a wildcard, but they would need to step up their commitment in a hurry. Do a Carr report type of study, and maybe play a 1AA team in football, show some kind of interest in D1 and 1AA. And jacks twice when you talk about SDSU's dominance in basketball you should put the word "mens" in front of it, since you guys should know NDSU wins hands down in womens basketball, no question about it. And I know that you refering to the big money sport being mens basketball but you made it sound like your were the basketball kings and you ruled over NDSU in the sport and thats only half true. Also bears fan you should remember all you have going for you is football and location, NDSU and SDSU bring more of a total package, both being flag ship schools, with lots of support, and tons of tradition. But it shouldn't matter because I think the Sky likes the 2 division concept in will bring 3-4 schools.

Comment

UNCbearsfan:

I was wondering what the hold up on the Nottingham seating addition was? Also do you happen to know what the capacity will be at Nottingham after the seating addition is finished?

What about plans for other facilities, A.K.A. Butler-Hancock Hall?
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I think all three schools are great, but looking at the big picture.

-Football
          -Basketball
          -Basketball
          -attendence

I think the two Dakota Schools hold a big edge over UNC, but UNC has location on their side.

Plus think about it people only remember the last games played and last season. 2004 has been good to SDSU.

I like to see all three schools in the BSC, I maybe alone but I would like to see UND stay were they are. One DI school in each Dakota is enough.

Comment

I think uncbearsfan is looking at this much more narrowly than the Big Sky presidents will. Football is an important sport, but it's just one sport. NDSU and UNC have had more success over the past 15 years or so in football, but the Big Sky is a comprehensive conference offering a full slate of competition. As I understand it, SDSU is the only one of the three schools that already offers all the sports on the Big Sky menu.

There is also a logical fallacy in cherry-picking one sport and making an argument for two of the three schools based on that. You could make the same argument uncbearsfan does about basketball, but then SDSU and NDSU are the ones with richer tradition and UNC is the odd school out.

I think we're all much better off if all three schools are invited into the Big Sky.

Comment

FargoBison

Refresh my memory...which women's team made it to the last 3 Elite 8's and which women's team was the last to win a National Championship (albeit our first). There's a new regional (or should I say national ) women's basketball powerhouse, SDSU ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                FargoBison

Refresh my memory...which women's team made it to the last 3 Elite 8's and which women's team was the last to win a National Championship (albeit our first).  There's a new regional (or should I say national ) women's basketball powerhouse, SDSU ;D
                Good points, but Wow! Opening a serious line of debate with Bison (and Sioux) fans.

Comment

Rabbitlivinginverm- you make some good points, but argueing womens basketball tradition with a SDSU fan is like argueing about football with a Sioux fan. National titles for Bison 5, national titles for the Jacks 1. Hall of Fame coaches for the bison 1, Jacks 0. Come on Jacks in Ruley's history the Bison have had 18 playoff appearences,  a 605-158 overall record, six all-americans, a 49 game winning streak, and 10 NCC titles. Now do you Jacks still want to argue womens basketball tradition with a Bison fan?

Comment

Which school has a richer basketball tradition--UCLA or Kansas? UCLA has won more championships but I think it's pretty easy to argue that Kansas has much the richer basketball tradition. Phog Allen, James Naismith, etc., etc.

What's better, Coke or Pepsi?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was just trying to ruffle your feathers. I know NDSU women's basketball tradition is just outright AMAZING. I have a ton of respect for the Lady Bison. Those have been some of my favorite games over the past 5 years, SDSU v NDSU, SDSU v. UND, UND v. NDSU. I loved it during the NCC tourny or regionals when all those teams were at Frost 8). Can't wait till the lady Bison come to town .

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                        UNC has a fan page that is: uncbearssports.com .    It is not as active as this.  Although, it does have a nice picture of our 2 national titles that you rabbits fans can remember!  Anyways,  it sounds like you guys have the same amount of scholarships we UNC has.  Who would you like to see added in the Big Sky Conference? I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU and UNC.  Sorry, don't take it personaly, but UNC and NDSU have a much richer tradition then SDSU.  Bear Down!
                        No disrespect to UNC but where would you rank the institution as compared to other schools in Colorado. SDSU is the largest university in SD offering a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees. We excel at meeting the mission of a land grant university and in addition offer the widest variety of athletic opportunities of any school in the BSC.

In addition we consistently ranked at the top of the NCC all-sports honor roll.

SDSU women 4, SDSU men 11, including 4 of the last 5 years. You may also note the domination by the current DI schools UNI and NDSU. No titles for the UNC men.

Mens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa, 1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St., 1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.

Womens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State, 1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State, 1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00 North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

From an academic and athletic standpoint UNC and SUU lag far behind SDSU and NDSU. Attendance, prestige, local/regional reputation and facilities are also largely in favor of the Dakota schools. I suspect funding is also.

The only thing that UNC or SUU have in their favor is geographic location. Maybe thats enough, but I suspect the BSC has enough foresight to strongly consider the best institutions applying and that clearly IS NOT UNC.

In the end I am hopeful that 4 teams will be accepted leading to 2 divisions, 6 teams each. SDSU and NDSU are the best fit from an academic and athletic standpoint, hands down. Geography? Thats a different story. As for Fargobison, keep believing what you want, ignorant people make it easy for those with ambition.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Rabbitlivinginverm- Those game almost always decided who was going to win the national title or go to the National title game. How many times in the last decade has a non-dakota team not been in the title game. Has there been one time. I will sort of miss the UND games a little bit but maybe with them gone it will take the SDSU-Bison game to a new level. The game at Frost will be NDSU's first hard game of the year, it should be interesting to see were the Bison are at. And in a few years NDSU and SDSU will be battling it out for Big Sky titles(I don't care what Grizz fans say) and I could see either one of our teams going into the NCAA tourney and making some waves in 2009. Just think of an NDSU-SDSU game played at a sold out Fargodome during a Big Sky conference tourny to see who goes to the Big Dance.

Comment

FargoBison,

Over the last 6 years these 2 teams have been pretty equal (not including this year)...
                            Jacks 143-45
                            Bison 143-35

The last 3 years...
                            Jacks 85-18
                            Bison 68-24

btw, those games will be at Frost ;D

Comment

FargoBison-Rabbitlivinginverm stole some of my thunder. Your a typical Bison fan arrogant and living in the past. I guess all SDSU fans owe a debt of gratitute to NDSU for taking us along on the way to the Big sky as your travel partner. Their are no redeeming qualities about SDSU other than we are partnering with NDSU? The two schools do compliment each other and are a stronger force together than apart. As it relates to Basketball the SDSU Men are annually 20 game winners, playing for a conference championship, in the tournament and leading DII in attendence. The SDSU women were always competitive and over the last 3 were the ones in the elite 8 not NDSU. I lost a lot of respect for Amy Ruley this year when I saw the easy schedule she put together. We will see how well she does at the DI level. I would say Aaron Johnson is off to a pretty good start against DI competition. I might also add the SDSU women also led the nation in attendence last year. I expect both the women's games against NDSU to be a war! Right now I think the SDSU Basketball package looks better than what you have up north!

Comment

Working...
                              X