• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Leinart won the Heisman Trophy.

Matt Leinart won the Heisman Trophy, from ESPN

Saturday, December 11, 2004
    Associated Press

Matt Leinart replaced a Heisman Trophy winner and became one himself.
    NEW YORK --The Southern California quarterback won college football's most prestigious individual award Saturday night, beating out Oklahoma teammates Adrian Peterson and Jason White, last year's winner.
    [hr]Heisman Trophy balloting
    Player 1st 2nd 3rd Total
    Matt Leinart, USC 267 211 102 1,325
    Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma 154 180 175 997
    Jason White, Oklahoma 171 149 146 957
    Alex Smith, Utah 98 112 117 635
    Reggie Bush, USC 118 80 83 597
    [hr]
    In 2002, Carson Palmer won the Heisman as a senior with the Trojans. Leinart succeeded the first overall pick in the NFL draft with a splendid sophomore season that set him up as the preseason favorite this year.
    Leinart has delivered, throwing for 2,990 yards and 28 TDs and leading the top-ranked Trojans to a 12-0 regular season. "I remember when Carson was sitting up here," Leinart said. "He said his heart was beating out of his chest, I think mine's about to do the same thing." The junior is USC's sixth Heisman winner, tying the Trojans with Ohio State for second-most behind Notre Dame's seven. Peterson, the freshman tailback, was second, White was third, Utah quarterback Alex Smith was fourth and Leinart's teammate Reggie Bush was fifth in the voting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/awards...ory?id=1944242

Re: Matt Leinart won the Heisman Trophy.

I was a little disappointed. White had better numbers than Leinart. Having White and Peterson as finalists probably hurt both of them. And Leinart's dismantling of Notre Dame probably sealed it. Apparently people have forgotten that dismantling Notred Dame isn't all that difficult any more.

I saw Adrian Peterson play this year and he is the best football player I have ever seen.

Comment

Re: Matt Leinart won the Heisman Trophy.

Adrian Peterson was the best RB/QB/Receiver in college football this year. All other positions are, in reality, no longer eligible for this award.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
      X