2004 Attendance figures  

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Attendance figures  

Bisonfan01234 posted this on the Bison board. Very eye opening.

Bisonfan01234 wrote:

BIG SKY CONFERENCE . .Att . . . . . G . . . .Avg
    Montana. . . . . . . . . . 160,368. . . . 7 . . 22,910
    Montana State. . . . . . 74,192. . . . 6 . . 12,365
    Northern Arizona. . . . 49,366. . . . 6 . . . 8,228
    Idaho State. . . . . . . . 33,236. . . . 5 . . . 6,647
    Eastern Washington . 38,797. . . . 6 . . . 6,466
    Portland State. . . . . . 35,549. . . . 6 . . . 5,925
    Weber State. . . . . . . .34,735. . . . 6 . . . 5,789
    Sacramento State. . . .24,870. . . . 5 . . . 4,974

GREAT WEST CONFERENCE Att. . . G . . . Avg
    North Dakota State . . . . . 79,614 . 6 . . 13,269
    South Dakota State . . . . . 39,384 . 4 . . .9,846
    Cal Poly SLO . . . . . . . . . . .41,974 . 5 . . . 8,395
    Cal-Davis . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29,010 . 4 . . . 7,253
    Northern Colorado . . . . . .27,370 . 6 . . . 4,562
    Southern Utah . . . . . . . . .19,197 . 5 . . . 3,839

We would finish #4 in attendence in a 10 team Big Sky. Northern Colorado and Southern Utah don't bring much in the way of fans to the party.

Go State! ;D

Re: 2004 Attendance figures  

It might be difficult with minimum of 8 home games next year but would love to see us exceed 10,000 average.

Comment

I think it is better that all of the home games are d1 opponents, rather than Augie, Winona, and Southern Oregon. Still could be tough, but it's realistic.

Comment

The attendence in Sioux Falls at Howard Wood should be real interesting. Capacity is 10,000.

Comment

Regarding the max capicity at Howard Wood...How will it benefit SDSU to play a game there and limit ourselves to 10,000 seats? Seems that if we can continue to draw at, near, or above 10,000 it doesn't make sense to play at Howard Wood and limit ourselves to 10,000 max.

Comment

I agree.  Unless they bring in bleachers for the end zone, we may not be helping ourselves that much.  Sure we want others to watch the Jacks, but if we are sacrificing seats that brookings area and SDSU fans usually sit, who is that helping.  

If that is the case, I'd rather have the Sioux Falls people come to brookings to find a seat. I never thought about that.

Comment

From a selfish standpoint it would be 2 hours less round trip from Rochester!!

Not sure there is any benefit outside of the possibility that it will increase the attendance of interested individuals in Sioux Falls and opposing teams won't have to "travel" from the airport to the gameday location. In reality, how hard is it to travel up I-29 to Coughlin for a game both for the fans and the opposing teams?

I would think Coughlin is perfectly capable of hosting 8 home games and all things being equal I think I would prefer that. Perhaps someone with more insight can provide definitive answers.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Who ever thought we might be worried about capacity in a 10,000 seat venue? I think what will be interesting is how many fans will drive south to Sioux Falls from Brookings and the surrounding communities that normally go to home games. I have a feeling if the games are marketed properly and the attendence is anticipated to exceed the capacity they will make provisions to remedy the situation. Have the Jacks ever drawn more 10,000 for a game that was not a in-state rival like USD,Augie or special event like Hobo Day. I know we drew 12,000+ for our new rival NDSU this year but had never drawn that many for a regular conference game before. Remember the games we are talking about are IAA teams that we do not have a rivalary with nor will this be a HObo Day game. I think realistically we will be very fortunate to get 10,000 in Brookings or Sioux Falls for a Cal Poly or UC Davis. I hope we do exceed capacity at Howard Field as this will be a great challenge to have.

Comment

Remember, in order for SDSU to make a successful transition to Division I, we are going to need dollars which can't be found in Brookings. Sioux Falls, being the largest city in South Dakota, offers new opportunities for corporate dollars and private support. This move is not a one way street. It's aloof thinking if we believe people will just show up at our door simply because we moved to Division I.

Taking a few games to Sioux Falls demonstrates goodwill by the university. Businesses will take note. Prospective donors will take note. Prospective students from the Sioux Falls area will take note.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                    Remember, in order for SDSU to make a successful transition to Division I, we are going to need dollars which can't be found in Brookings.  Sioux Falls, being the largest city in South Dakota, offers new opportunities for corporate dollars and private support.  This move is not a one way street.  It's aloof thinking if we believe people will just show up at our door simply because we moved to Division I.  

Taking a few games to Sioux Falls demonstrates goodwill by the university.  Businesses will take note.  Prospective donors will take note.  Prospective students from the Sioux Falls area will take note.
                    Agreed!

Go State! ;D

Comment

I see your points. I guess I just like and enjoy the atmosphere surrounding home games at Coughlin. Is there anyway to bring the Backyard to Sx Falls ;D Tailgaiting just won't be the same on a paved parking lot, away from home :-/

Comment

I think the whole atmosphere at Howard Wood Field could be a lot of fun. Being the home team will be a unique feeling. There are many potential corporate sponsors to court and numerous fans who may have a curiousity factor. I think if we are just able to grab attention of those SDSU alumnists in the metro area who have lost touch with SDSU it could be a big win. While the atmosphere at Howard Wood will not compare to Coughlin the physical facility is much better with the new turf and as of this spring enhanced concessions and bathrooms. With the Pride of Dakotas and the stadium filled with yellow and blue I think it will feel very much like a home game.

Comment

One of the fan bases that needs attention (in my humble opinion) is the student body fan base. For some reason, SDSU has always leaned towards the way of the suitcase college in that a large amount of students use the weekends as a time to head back home instead of sticking around campus.

If we can create a buzz in the student body where we can get a larger percentage of them to stick around and use their prepaid passes to attend the games, we'll see attendance figures jump significantly. With a record number of students, if we can get an increase of 25% (lofty goal) to stick around for the games, that's alot of added bodies. Those bodies are the ones who make noise and get the rest of the crowd fired up.

I'm not sure how you convince Sally Student that she'll have more fun at the football game than she would sitting on her mom's couch, but I think it's something to think about.

It's a little off subject, but thought I'd throw my 2cents in.

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I agree with Alumguy's attitude (who is that guy, anyway?) about having a few games in S Falls. But, as the schedule smooths out in the coming years, I hope its a rare day when a "home" game isn't home. Especially when the venue seats fewer than Coughlin.

Short term, we may reconnect with some SDSU alums in the Sioux Falls area who haven't been to a game in decades...they may start driving to Brookings after seeing a good one in Sioux Falls.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum: I have wondered whether the suitcase attitude of students is changing just a little bit. I have a couple of kids down there and they never come home (maybe it's me!?!). We should bring back 3.2 beer and the original Horts. That'll solve the weekend run-home problem.

Comment

I was at the SDSU/NDSU game and I think you guys are CRAZY to have games anywhere but right there on campus. the "Back Yard" is just awesome. I cna't imagine a better college football atmosphere. Look at schools like Clemson. The city is small, but swells by 70,000 or so on game day because it is a big event. If SDSU fields competitive teams, you will have no problem finding plenty of fans that like to be out in the "BackYard" grill a bit and have a couple refreshments and then go watch a entertaining D-I football game. Don't change a thing!!

Bisondad

Comment

Working...
                              X