Richardson agrees to deal; pay raised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richardson agrees to deal; pay raised

Southern University football coach Pete Richardson will stay for three more seasons.
    Richardson agreed Wednesday to a three-year deal that would pay him $200,000 per year.

The agreement comes after more than a year of negotiations, with the 12-year coach effectively in limbo after the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship Game ended Dec. 11.

"I'm excited about it," Richardson said. "I thought it had to come to a conclusion. I'm glad it did. Now I can move forward and build my program."
    See video

Re: Richardson agrees to deal; pay raised

Schiefelbein: Richardson finally getting what he's due

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
    jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
    Advocate sportswriter

What a deal.
    Southern football coach Pete Richardson got a substantial raise -- and a little security -- for Christmas. The school got to keep the man who has been the university's most visible -- and perhaps best -- face for more than a decade.

What a big deal.

Richardson gets $200,000 per year, plus incentives worth up to $40,000, for the next three seasons -- a staggering amount for a Division I-AA coach. The school gets to avoid the PR nightmare of losing its best coach since A.W. Mumford decades ago.

With so much at stake on both sides, this deal took a lot longer than initially expected when talks began more than a year ago. In the end, though, this is the best deal for everyone.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !! to everyone, I hope to see you in 06'

Comment

Re: Richardson agrees to deal; pay raised

That is good news Bluedog, you guys have a heck of a coach.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Seeing Spots! Hope to see you up in Brookings in '06.

89rabbit

Comment

Working...
      X