Division 1A proposal for the 12th game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Division 1A proposal for the 12th game

It sounds like the Division IA will allow for a 12th football game as part of the regular season. Does that vote include Division IAA teams? The reason for the question is in regard to SDSU pace to reach the required 60 scholarships for I-AA teams to play Division IA opponents (for it to count toward bowl eligibility). If the vote, which is expected to pass does, Should SDSU try to get to the 60 scholarships faster that originally planned to be in a position to play I-A teams and receive the financial guarantees that come with it?

I understand the gender equity issues, but also the importance funding the entire program. I think it would be a good move in terms of revenue because it is a source of income I do not think SDSU can create. What do SDSU fans think?
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Division 1A proposal for the 12th game

This is just my conjecture on this question. I dont think they would accelerate the scholarships for one D1A game.  Nebraska and Iowa State would maybe pay 500,000  tops as a guarentee.  It sounds like real money but not enough.  

If the acceleration was necessary to get into the Big Sky, then I could see movement on the scholarships.

The payback for just one D1 game is probably not sufficient to deviate from a from a 5 year plan.  If we could garner a 5 million dollar guarentee, then maybe we would.

One additional thought and that relates to the capital fund raising being conducted primarily by Sid Bostic and Keith Mehlum. If Sid and Keith where to deliever on his 20 million goal like in the next year, then I think we could do quite a few things, such as scheduling a D1A game.

From my perspective, NDSU has differed from SDSU in their move to D1 in this one aspect, and there is a reason for that. Football is king at NDSU, and they have the facility that would draw people if they were to make a very good showing against a D1A program. This would all work good for them, but not so sure for SDSU, from what little I know about the plan.

Comment

Working...
    X