Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's that time of year, when Adam gets us pub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of year, when Adam gets us pub.

Seems like every year, about this time,  Adam get us some publicity with his leg.  Here are highlights from the Argus, but it is an AP story that you could find in many newspapers across the country.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...53/1002/SPORTS

Vinatieri no stranger to big playoff games
    Patriot teammate compares Rapid City native to Jordan

HOWARD ULMAN
    Associated Press

published: 01/21/05

FOXBORO, Mass. - Adam Vinatieri approached the ball, drove it toward the uprights and got mad when the field goal missed.

And that was just during a workout last spring.

"There's no one out here except for us two," said Josh Miller, who had just signed as the New England Patriots new holder and punter. "We were also at 58 yards. So I said, 'OK, that's what I'm part of and it's pretty cool.' "

Vinatieri takes every kick seriously - whether it's an extra point in a regular-season blowout or a field goal that wins the Super Bowl, whether he's in a dome or driving snow.

His foot may be the difference again in the AFC championship game between two strong defenses on Sunday in Pittsburgh where snow showers are in the forecast, something he grew up with in Rapid City and endured while kicking at South Dakota State.  .  .  .

Two of the biggest field goals of his career came in heavy snow on the way to the Patriots' first championship. His 45-yarder with 34 seconds left forced overtime and his 23-yarder beat Oakland 16-13 on Jan. 19, 2002.

As usual, the pressure didn't affect him.

"I was thinking more about trying to make sure I got good footing and got the ball up in the air than any of the other things that that kick meant," Vinatieri said.

Two weeks later inside the Superdome in New Orleans, his 45-yard field goal on the last play gave the Patriots their first Super Bowl win, 20-17 over St. Louis. He also won last year's Super Bowl indoors in Houston with a 41-yard kick with four seconds left in a 32-29 win over Carolina.

This season he led the NFL in scoring and made 24 of his last 25 field goal attempts. He's kicked 17 game-winning field goals in the regular season and playoffs and, from inside the 40-yard line, he's missed just 21 of 203 kicks.

"He's as good at what he does as (Michael) Jordan at what he does," Miller said.

Heinz Field in Pittsburgh is known as a tough place to kick. Last weekend, Doug Brien of the New York Jets missed two field-goal attempts late in the fourth quarter and overtime, and the Steelers won.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick probably would trust Vinatieri in a blizzard.

"He can kick in any conditions," Belichick said. "Nothing really seems to affect him."

Go State!  ;D

Working...
X