Coach/schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach/schedule

Defensive Coach Doug Mcfadden has resigned, and they are looking for a replacement.
    Too bad, nice guy, good with the team..
    The schedule has some changes.
    The UC Davis game on October 8 will be in Sioux Falls at 1pm.
    The NDSU game has been moved to November 12, and the open date now switches to October 15.
    Hobo Day is October 22 with MO-Rolla.

Re: Coach/schedule

This is dissapointing. I have heard Doug was good coach and a nice guy. It's also dissapointing in the fact we need good minority coaches on the staff to help recruit minority players.

Comment

Originally posted by newser
      Defensive Coach Doug Mcfadden has resigned, and they are looking for a replacement.
      Too bad, nice guy, good with the team..
      The schedule has some changes.
      The UC Davis game on October 8 will be in Sioux Falls at 1pm.
      The NDSU game has been moved to November 12, and the open date now switches to October 15.
      Hobo Day is October 22 with MO-Rolla.
      Pheasant opener now open.  I like that.  Hope I can make the trip to Fargo in November.

Why the defections at key coaching positions?  Salary?  Philosophical differences?
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Was McFadden heavily involved in recruiting?

Comment

With the territory now needed to cover for players at the DIAA level and the limited # of coaches I think they are all on the road recruiting heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            Why the defections at key coaching positions?  Salary?  Philosophical differences?
            Any concerns over losing two coaches in our first off-season of IAA? I would imagine that the reasons for the two coaches leaving are unrelated, but you never know. What about filling these spots, is experience (recruiting & coaching) the way to go, or is knowledge of our program more important?

Comment

NDSU has turned over virtually there entire staff and many of their coaches are getting opportunities at DIA schools and you can't blame them for that. Coach McFadden came from Oklahoma and don't believe had any connections to this area. I think the coaches at DIAA level have more relationships with coaches at the DIA level and will leverage those relationships to move up.

Comment

Just would like to wish Coach McFadden the best of luck. Got to know him quite way during the recruiting process last year. He is a very good honest person. He will be missed. He recruited Minnesota last year.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                  NDSU has turned over virtually there entire staff and many of their coaches are getting opportunities at DIA schools and you can't blame them for that. Coach McFadden came from Oklahoma and don't believe had any connections to this area. I think the coaches at DIAA level have more relationships with coaches at the DIA level and will leverage those relationships to move up.    
                  Not quite the entire staff. Bohl's staff for the 2003 season was assembled quickly, as he was hired in February and needed to get a coaching staff together quickly. Most of those coaches weren't expected to stick around for long. If you include Bohl, there's four coaches that are still around from Bohl's first season. Two of those coaches are from Babich's tenure.

NDSU lost three coaches this year- two to Ohio, and one to Oklahoma State. It's usually the sign of a good coaching staff and successful program if the coaches are getting promotions to larger programs.

A I-AA program isn't going to be able to match BCS schools with 300k coordinator salaries and 100k position coaches. :-/

Comment

From what I understand Doug left to be closer to his young daughter. He took a position as Dback and Special Teams coach at Fort Hayes State. He addressed the team today. Best of luck to Doug. He is a great guy and a great coach.

On the positive note, in the last two years we have been able to replace coaches leaving and seemingly have been able to bring in someone as good or better. Hopefully we will be able to do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                      From what I understand Doug left to be closer to his young daughter.  He took a position as Dback and Special Teams coach at Fort Hayes State.  He addressed the team today.  Best of luck to Doug.  He is a great guy and a great coach.  

On the positive note, in the last two years we have been able to replace coaches leaving and seemingly have been able to bring in someone as good or better.  Hopefully we will be able to do that again.
                      Amen on all said.  I believe Coach McFadden was a key in recruiting James Epps and Mike James, both good athletes and good students.  I wish Coach the best as he is indeed very dedicated.  Salaries have been a problem in the past, and we probably have not made much progress in the first year of transitition.  

What I find interesting about the NDSU changes is that Solich fired Bohl while at Nebraska. Bohl comes to NDSU and  hires away some of Solich's crew to asssit him at NDSU. Now Solich shows up at Ohio and comes back to hire staff away from Bohl again.  I really wonder if Bohl and Solich see these hirings and firings as professional changes and there are no hard feelings between the two. ???

We need to become competitive on salaries, but sometimes its about more money.  Coaches have families that can affect a decision as in Coach McFadden  case.  I think both coaches that left were working very close with Karl Ballard so I doubt very much there are philiosphical issues, or clashing personalities. If there were differences, I think they were honest differences. As I felt the game plans made a huge difference this year in the success we had.

Lets hope a ton of candidates apply and we end up with a better staff.

Comment

Working...
                      X