Sioux Falls game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls game

Story in the Argus about moving the UC-Davis game to Sioux Falls. Here are some highlights:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...501270322/1002

SDSU schedules football game at Howard Wood
    Jacks bring D-I show to big city

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 01/27/05

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State's football team will have a new home in October.

Granted, it's only for one game, but the Jackrabbits will invade Sioux Falls for their Great West Football Conference game against California-Davis. Kickoff will be at 1 p.m. on Oct. 8 at Howard Wood Field.

"I think it's a tremendous opportunity for a bunch of reasons," Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "It's a good time to start this concept. We'll go to where the people are."

The decision to shift the game 60 miles south has a few side stories. One was that almost every hotel room in Brookings has already been booked that weekend for the state high school soccer tournament. Plus, with eight home football games in 2005, it wasn't a major deal for the Jackrabbits to move one game elsewhere.

The biggest reason, however, is a concerted push by the SDSU athletic department to infiltrate the Sioux Falls market. With the school's move to Division I, administrators are banking on increased interest in the state's largest city.

"We're trying to provide SDSU events to the state," said Rob Peterson, assistant athletic director. "By bringing that to Sioux Falls, we're trying to expand our market base. Hopefully, we'll have other opportunities to bring other sports down there."

SDSU's baseball team will play two games at Sioux Falls Stadium this spring, one against Minnesota and the other against Creighton. Peterson said there is a chance that a few basketball games could be played in Sioux Falls as well.

Taking home football games to a neutral site is not uncommon. Stiegelmeier pointed out how Arkansas would take games to Little Rock, or how the Colorado-Colorado State game often had been played in Denver at Mile High Stadium.

"Like a lot of people have said, we are the state's institution. Why not help that image and feeling out by doing something like this?" he said.

Hobo Day is set for Oct. 22 against Missouri-Rolla. For the second straight season, SDSU won't play on the pheasant opener, which is Oct. 15 this year. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Sioux Falls game

It should be a huge event for SDSU and its athletics program. Hopefully they will have things planned for the SDSU Alumni and for all the high school kids in the Sioux Empire. It could really build excitement for the highschoolers in the area to go to STATE. They could have all the information for the students including the new dorm and the improved/ expanded Student Union. I also hope that SDSU has all the merchandise available for hands to buy. Come on SDSU fans paint Sioux Falls Yellow and Blue
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
    X