• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA News

Interesting stuff on the NCAA web site:

http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_event...2kL3dVlpncKmOM

Football Issues Committee discusses Division I football structure
    January 27, 2005

Coming off Convention meetings during which various governance groups hinted at possible structure changes in Division I football, the Division I Football Issues Committee is making it clear that it wants to play an active role in those discussions. Meeting January 12-13 in Louisville, Kentucky, members agreed to forward a set of recommendations to the Division I Board of Directors.

The recommendations include: Division I-A football teams should be permitted to count one victory per year against qualified I-AA teams for I-A bowl eligibility, a Division I-A football team should be permitted to count a home game against a qualified I-AA football team once a year toward the five-home-game requirement and eliminating the I-A and I-AA classification names in favor of different designations. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: NCAA News

The first two make sense (allow I-A teams to play a I-AA team each year and have it count toward bowl eligibility and home games requirement), but the third does not.

The proposal to drop the distinction between I-A and I-AA makes no sense. It's a change in name only. The different scholarship amounts would still be in place, and that is arguably the defining distinction between NCAA divisions.

Comment

Working...
    X