PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Football schedule

89rabbit
08-18-2004, 08:07 AM
I saw on page 36 of the Media guide that we have most (if not all) of the 2005 football schedule lined up.

Sept 10th Valparaiso
Sept. 17th at Montana
Sept. 24th Cal-Poly
Oct. 1st at Texas State
Oct. 8th UC-Davis (Hobo Day)
Oct. 15th at NDSU
Oct. 22nd Missouri-Rolla
Oct. 29th Georgia Southern
Nov. 5th Southern Utah
Nov. 12th Open
Nov. 19th Northern Colorado

Looks pretty good! A couple of I-AA powers Montana and Georgia Southern (GSU at Coughlin). I like the Texas St. game also the Southland is a good I-AA conference.

Go State! ;D

jackrabbit1979
08-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Wasn't Northern Iowa rumored to be on this schedule,
i hope we didn't lose that opportunity :-[

89rabbit
08-18-2004, 09:57 AM
The UNI game went away because UNI had a chance to pick up a game with Iowa (can't blame them) on the date we were scheduled to play them. That date became available because Missouri backed out of part of a four game home and home contract with with the Hawkeyes. I would guess that you will see UNI on our schedule again, just not next year.

Go State! ;D

SDSUFAN
08-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Missouri Rolla is kind of a schedule filler. Rolla dropped out of the MIAA after being the door mat for several years. I guess it beats Upper Iowa ;D

GrizzlyEdd
08-18-2004, 04:07 PM
You will enjoy your visit to Washington Grizzly Stadium in the Fall of 2005. It is a great I-AA venue and a great place to have a tailgate before and after the game. We here in the land of the Griz welcome our SDSU friends to enjoy our hospitality and a large glass of Moose Drool. ;D ;)

Come see us at www.egriz.com sometime....

Howdy 89rabbit... this is MrGrizz on AGS...

newser
08-20-2004, 06:57 AM
We were there in 1993 when the Jacks had a 35 - 7 lead, but ended up losing 52 - 48!
Beautiful place, nice stadium for football. Looking forward to another trip out there..

89rabbit
08-20-2004, 01:09 PM
You will enjoy your visit to Washington Grizzly Stadium in the Fall of 2005. It is a great I-AA venue and a great place to have a tailgate before and after the game. We here in the land of the Griz welcome our SDSU friends to enjoy our hospitality and a large glass of Moose Drool. ;D ;)

Hey MrGrizz/GrizzlyEdd, welcome to the board. Thanks for posting. Montana on the road and Georgia Southern at home are the highlights of next season's schedule. should be fun.

Go State! ;D

jackrabbit1979
09-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Missouri Rolla just allowed Pitt State to post 90 some points on them this weekend. They must just be schedule filler. I think we can count on one for sure win next year already.

Jacks99
09-27-2004, 09:34 AM
7 home games! Nice! That's a solid schedule.

I'm sure the warm weather teams will enjoy SD in late October and November!

WYOBISONMAN
09-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Looks like the Jacks will be drawing some good crowds with those games next year!

Crashola
09-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Outstanding! I am SO gonna make the drive to Missoula next year. I'll get to see the Jacks plus get to see a game at a stadium I've always wanted to visit.

I'm calling friends in Missoula first thing tomorrow.

GO JACKS!

OK_Jackrabbit
09-27-2004, 07:01 PM
The Jacks are actually coming down to my neck of the woods (sort of), to Texas State. San Marcos, by the way, is a great town, one of the nicest places in Texas. Looks like the family and I will be driving to Texas State next October 1 to root for the Jacks!

SoDak
09-27-2004, 11:58 PM

Let me be the first to agree with this Griz fan. I was in Missoula last Saturday when Montana was playing UNC. It's really unbelievable how Griz crazy the people in that area are. The game itself was a smaller concentrated version of a Saturday in Lincoln, with 23,000 fans in the stadium. Every store has Griz gear, both Montana and Montana State games were televised, and we really need to take some lessons from them on marketing SDSU football and basketball. We need the SDSU game on TV. Montana isn't significantly more populated than we are. In fact, there's less people within 60 miles of Missoula than within 60 miles of Brookings. All in all, it was a very pleasant weekend, and Griz fans I met were extremely friendly and seemed eager for the Dakotas to join the conference.

jackrabbit1979
09-28-2004, 10:24 AM
I am really excited about next years schedule, along with the seven home games, there are at least two opportunities to drive to away games from the Brookings area (FARGO for sure, and i don't want to miss Missoula). That's nine contests for 2005. I only wish we wouldn't graduate any of our seniors, Nelson, Johnson, Couaette, etc.

Jacks99
11-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Anyone hear about the 2005 games in SF? I heard something was said on the radio today about 2 games to be played there.

JackTwice
11-07-2004, 08:40 AM
I heard a rumor this week that the Texas State game is now in doubt. There are two stories going around, I like the second one best because the first sounds too much like a cover for the second.

First, their outgoing AD scheduled a game that week and left and didn't tell anyone, so they ended up with 2 games scheduled ;).

Second, when they scheduled the game with us they were looking for a cupcake D1AA game. Considering our showing this year they are looking to back out ;D

JackTwice
11-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Two more things:

I heard there is a home game on Sept 3 about to be done. I think it is going to be against a DIII Wisconsin school

Hobo Day has been changed to the Missouri-Rolla game. There is a big soccer tournament in Brookville the weekend of the Davis game so no motel rooms left. This leaves the door to be open to moving Davis to Sioux Falls.

Jacks99
11-07-2004, 11:14 AM
I did hear about a California team. So the Davis game is probably one.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
I really hope that Texas St game is'nt cancelled, I was really looking forward to that one!! I also hope we dont schedule ANY of those DIII Wisconsin schools. I would think we could get a D1AA team. or at the very least a D2 school if we had to. I would even prefer to travel as opposed to playing one of the seemingly 100 UW-Whatever colleges in Brookings (actually, I think there are like ten that play football, but I was trying to make a point)

SDSUFAN
11-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Scheduling is not an easy task. From what little I have learned every game home and away is supported with a written contract, that indicates who pays travel and how much. There could be hangups in this and when an outgoing AD makes contracts, that is a problem.

A solid conference of 10 members does make scheduling easier. For that reason and considering the transition period, its a new day for scheduling at SDSU. I would hope we could get a solid schedule.

I think scheduling Drake and members of the D1AA league would be better than D3 Wisconsin. That kind of an opponent should be the last resort.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I hope the rumor about scheduling a UW school is just that. I live in the state of Wisconsin and spend time out of every day selling people on our great school. Playing teams like Southern and Southern Georgia opened the eyes of people around here. I hear from co-workers and friends that they find themselves looking for the SD State score on the ESPN ticker.

Playing a team like UW-Lacrosse or UW-Stephens Point would go a long way to ruin any credibility that we have gained with everyone. Weren't we recently making fun of USD for scheduling the same sort of schools? I'd like the W in the Win/Loss column, but would rather it be against a better opponent.

By the way, in Milwaukee, the only school that gets press time is the big UW. UW-Milwaukee gets some respect in basketball, but the DIII UW football teams have to share space with the local softball results.

JACKGUYII
11-08-2004, 11:00 AM
The UW Lacrosse game was on the Hobo Day program for September 3rd so I assume this is done. I agree that I hate to see those kind of games on the schedule. However we can' imagine what it's like to do the scheduling.

newser
11-08-2004, 11:59 AM
The way it sounds now...the Texas State game is a victim of overscheduling (theirs)...that may be replaced with a home game.... Texas State will do home and home starting in 2006.
Because of the numbers of home games, up to 2 could be moved to Howard Wood.

89rabbit
11-08-2004, 12:11 PM
So we are talking about 9 home games for next year! :o You could easily move two to Sioux Falls, the Brookings Merchants would still have 7 games. That would be one or two more then most seasons. Crazy.

Go State! ;D

Jacks_NL
11-08-2004, 04:26 PM
From what i heard at hobo day is there will be two games @howard wood next year. The cal-davis game on the 24th of sept and the southern utah game on the 5th of nov and the reason is too make the people of sioux falls who give alot of money happy :-/, and the texas state game is still up in the air because texas state is trying to play a big texas school next year(texas,texas a&m, texas tech) and they will get paid around $700,000 for play the game. just think what we could do if we played a big school.

filbert
11-08-2004, 06:08 PM
I really like the idea of playing two GWFC games in Sioux Falls. Two reasons: media exposure, and courting the hometown Sioux Falls athletes. Hard for KELO not to lead with SDSU's highlights (vs. USF's) if the Jacks' home field is Howard Wood. And, instead of a campus visit, what better than to have your team visit them? Might land a Sioux Falls recruit or two which might otherwise go elsewhere.

They're gonna need to bring in a bunch of end zone bleachers, though. An annual SDSU home game in S.F. might draw nearly 20,000, especially for a conference game. And, what if every other year, that game is the NDSU game? (An extra hour for the Bison to drive, heh heh heh).

Jus' ramblin' . . .

SoDak
11-09-2004, 01:27 AM
I agree, I like the idea too. How much does Howard Wood hold?

filbert
11-09-2004, 04:25 AM
Howard Wood seats about 10,000.

Jacks99
11-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Think the positives will out weight the negatives for the SF games, especially with the many home games next year.

Hopefully a great showing of Jacks fans will outweigh the neutral field.

1stRowFANatic
11-09-2004, 06:40 AM
I'm wondering if we should try to get one of those home games switched to an away to try and even out the home-away difference in upcoming years. If we could get a contract for an away-home series, I think that would be best. Has anyone heard what the GWFC schedule for the following year will be? If we keep switching home and away, we will have alot of road games again in 2006.

JACKGUYII
11-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I agree that an annual game (especially) a Great Western Conference game at Howard Wood Field would be huge. The media attention and exposure could do wonders for showing the states largest city what DIAA Football is all about. As I have mentioned on another post there is a good crop of DI calibre players in the Sioux Falls metro area that will graduate this year and I'm sure they would love to compete on their home turf once a year. Speaking of turf for those who have not seen the new Field Turf at Howard Field it is outstanding. The school board has also approved improvements to the restrooms and concession areas that will be ready for next year. I agree that a game in Sioux Falls could draw a huge crowd that would easily exceed the 10,000 capacity. I have to believe you could make arrangements to expand the numbers by putting temporary bleachers in the endzone. Many people have said including myself if we can win over the sportsfan in Sioux Falls that has no allegiances but just looking for good entertainment we can sell out Frost and Coughlin on a regular basis. Sioux Falls is growing at a rate of 3,000 per year and many of these people are new to the area and can be won over with the right product. If Augie and USD won't play us in Sioux Falls lets bring in a superior team than either one of them can be field anyway. I also see big opportunities if the proposed 12,000 seat downtown arena is built downtown.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
11-11-2004, 05:28 PM
..... not really very many DI caliber players in Sioux Falls.

jackmd
11-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Howard Wood seats about 10,000.

Save at least 4 of those seats for me. I love Brookings but would happily attend a game in Sioux Falls. It really wouldn't be much of a trip for the college students and if the university is thinking they will arrange some buses to transport students to the game. Any chance alcohol would be allowed at Howard Wood? Its off campus. Not suggesting anything, just asking.

There may be more DIAA caliber athletes than you think.

1stRowFANatic
11-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Doubt there would be any alcohol at Howard Wood, it is owned and operated by the Sioux Falls School District.

JACKGUYII
11-12-2004, 08:12 AM
I disagree there are not many DIAA calibre players in the state and specifically Sioux Falls. I think anyone who has seen the two teams battling for the AA championship this weekend O'Gorman and Roosevelt will see size,speed and kids that can flat out play. Roosevelt, O'Gorman,Washington,Brandon Valley and West Central dominated most of the teams they played.Either the talent in the rest of the state was down or the talent in and around Sioux Falls is way up.

1stRowFANatic
11-12-2004, 11:25 AM
I think the population numbers/shift are beginning to have an effect on football in the state. There are just so many more kids in and around SF that the depth and overall quality is better here, IMO. This may be an odd year, and Spearfish did win it last year, but it really appears that there has a been a definite shift in overall talent. You won't see it in basketball because 3 studs can carry you a long way in that sport, but three studs in football, without anything else doesn't get you very far.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Well, I guess we will see when they start signing letters of intent this winter. My guess is there will only be 1 or 2 that go higher than D2.

H2ORabbit
11-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I for one am very excited with the schedule as we know it to be so far. The Jacks have had an outstanding freshman season and I look forward to having GSU and the California teams come to SD to play.

I do not mind playing the two games in S.F. for some good PR both in the state and abroad. However, I would hate it if the Jacks started losing their Brookings identity. The home of SDSU is and always should be Brookings. We have a very nice stadium and with some of the rumored improvements on the horizon it should be a fantastic place to show case for years to come.

I must admit to being a Div I sceptic when the decision was first made but I now embrace it very proudly. The Jacks have a bright new future on the horizon. It will make us all want to shout GO JACKS!!!!!!! ;D

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-17-2004, 03:07 PM
I just received my "Jacks Flash" newsletter. I noticed the Texas St. game is still on the schedule with the date TBA in San Marcos, TX. I hope we can keep this game.
UW-LaCrosse is scheduled for Sep 3 in Brookings (first game of the year)

SDSUFAN
11-18-2004, 09:48 AM
I just received my "Jacks Flash" newsletter. I noticed the Texas St. game is still on the schedule with the date TBA in San Marcos, TX. I hope we can keep this game.
UW-LaCrosse is scheduled for Sep 3 in Brookings (first game of the year)

I really am not happy to to see UW-Lacrosse on the schedule, but with the number of home games scheduled, I got a feeling that the guarentee line in football budget will probably be at an all-time high in payouts, which means we need more tickets to be sold.
I suspect, there were no D1AA teams available for Sept 3 home or away, and the guarentee fee for UW-Lacrosse would be much less than one for UW-Madison.
;D ;D
I have no idea what the dollar amount would be but it has to be less than $25,000. Assuming it is 25k and at current ticket rate of 12 per game SDSU would need to sell 2080 tickets to pay the guarentee and anything above would be gravy. So finanically this game will work.

Since UW-Lacrosse beat USD in 2003 and almost beat them again in the DakotaDome, I think we will have a good start for the season.

Since SSI is not a factor during the reclassification period, now is the time to play them and get it overwith.
I doubt SDSU will be traveling to Lacrosse in 2006.

Jacks99
11-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Instead of going into a Cal Davis caliber team (Montana) right away, they will have two games to sharpen their skills.

The added home game and ticket sales is another positive.

Also it's another tough schedule and this game should make it easier to have another chance at a winning season.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
I understand the need and the benefits to scheduling a UW-Lacrosse team at the beginning of the season. Heck, we started the year against UW-Stout in '98 and before that used SD Tech as warm ups. But, now that we're D1 and have spent the better part of the year ridiculing USD (at least I have) for playing a cupcake schedule, I feel a little swarmy about scheduling a non-scholarship DIII team. I just hope we beat them by 50 or we'll never hear the end of it.

Jacks99
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Consider it an exhibition game for FB ;D ;D ;D

Texas_Jacks_Fan
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
I too wish UW-L wasnt on the schedule, but I guess I understand it. It will be nice to have two tune up games before we meet the Griz. I bet the guarantee is'nt anywhere close to $25,000. One reason is they have cheap travel to Brookings (Bus) and another is they are DIII and really arent in a position to ask for much. Southern paid us $50,000 for this years game and SU gets a ton of revenue for filling that 30,000 seat stadium. (SDSU had to come by charter flight and we were D1AA). I am not "in the know" but I would be surprised if UW-L gets a penny more than $10,000.

SDSUFAN
11-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Texas Jack:
You are probably right, I think 25K would the absolute maximum and perhaps overly generous. If its about 10k, then that lowers the bar as far as ticket sales to break even. If SDSU promotes like in the past, maybe a 5000 to 7000 of ticket purchasing crowd, the end result will be a positive cash flow and thats what is needed for every game for the next five years.
I not counting students and season ticket holders in the crowd count since they have prepaid with student fees and season tickets. This revenue is already money in the bank, but who and how many show up at the ticket booth on game day are the most critical part of moving forward with ticket revenues from football games.

I know over on D2football some of the Winona fans kind of chidded USD for playing UW Lacrosse and they mentioned that Winona stopped playing Lacroose. Dont recall off hand why, but they are miles apart.

Milwaukee Jack mentioned playing UW-Stout in 98. I believe the Usd coach Ed Mierkort was the Stout coach at that time. I think we will get a good game from UW-Lacrosse, although it would be better to have Winoa SU come to Brookings again.

JACKGUYII
12-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Current 2005 Football Schedule

Sept 3 Wisconsin La Crosse
Sept 10 Valparaiso (Ind.)
Sept 17 at Montana
Sept 24 Cal Poly
Oct 1 at Texas State
Oct 8 UC Davis
Oct 15 at North Dakota State
Oct 22 Missouri Rolla (Hobo Day)
Oct 29 Georgia Southern
Nov 5 Southern Utah
Nov 19 Northern Colorado

Great schedule. Does anyone have confirmed information which games will be in Sioux Falls? It appears Hobo Day is on opening pheasent weekend?

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Any idea which of the games is being designated as the Beef Bowl?

jackmd
12-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Sept 17 at Montana
Sept 24 Cal Poly
Oct 1 at Texas State
Oct 8 UC Davis
Oct 29 Georgia Southern
Nov 5 Southern Utah
Nov 19 Northern Colorado

Great schedule. Does anyone have confirmed information which games will be in Sioux Falls? It appears Hobo Day is on opening pheasent weekend?

Traditionally the 3rd Saturday of October is the pheasant opener. So, unless they plan to change tradition it will fall on the 15th, the NDSU game and not on Hobo Day. I'm planning to shoot my first pheasant of next year on the 15th. Maybe the NDSU game will be at night and I can still make it.

91rabbit
12-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Sept 17 at Montana
Sept 24 Cal Poly
Oct 1 at Texas State
Oct 8 UC Davis
Oct 29 Georgia Southern
Nov 5 Southern Utah
Nov 19 Northern Colorado

I believe that the pheasant opener is the 3rd Saturday in October.

Rabbitlivinginverm
12-02-2004, 12:40 PM
I hope the Beef Bowl in NOT on 9/24/5 vs. Cal-Poly, also my wedding day. It would devistate my finance if I skipped the reception and dance to watch the Jacks play ;) Actually, I'm sure the majority of the wedding party would suddenly become ill and not be able to participate ;)

newser
12-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Stig was at the Yankton QB club today.
Did his usual great job in Coyote country. He said the plan is to go to 42 scholarships for next year, but would like to get over 60 as quickly as possible because of the ability to play 1-A teams.
He answered a question on playing USD by saying it wasn't likely, because the Jacks have moved up and on.
He said the Texas State game is on, that the conflict has been worked out, so thats 3 road games next year.
He says recruiting has been going well, both in and out of state, with a focus on speed and size.
He said he was contacted by USF, but was not interested in that job. He said he was a bit surprised by fans positive reaction to a 6 - 5 season in that he felt they could have won 3 more.
He went over well..

JACKGUYII
01-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Has been confirmed the UC Davis and UNC game will be in Sioux Falls at Howard Wood Field.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-25-2005, 07:07 AM
So the Beef Bowl is most likely Sept, 24 :'(

Jacks_NL
01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
2005 schedue out

2005 Schedule
September
3 Wisconsin-LaCrosse, 7 p.m.
10 Valpariso, 7 p.m.
17 at Montana, Missoula, MT, 1:05 p.m.
24 Cal Poly, 7 p.m.
October
1 at Texas State, San Marcos, TBA
8 UC Davis at Sioux Falls, 1 p.m.
15 open date
22 Missouri Rolla, Hobo Day, 2 p.m.
29 Georgia Southern, 1 p.m.
November
5 Southern Utah, 1 p.m.
12 at North Dakota State, Fargo, TBA
19 Northern Colorado, 1 p.m

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/VarsitySports/Football/NewsDetail55217.cfm?Id=46,4036

posted today

JACKGUYII
01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Great schedule! I was told the UNC game was also in Sioux Falls and that does not appear to be the case.

Rabbitlivinginverm
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
To SDSU Administrators:

Sept 10th v. Valpo would be an excellent choice for the Beef Bowl. It will draw in more fans than would potentially attend that game. Sept. 24th v. Cal-Poly will already draw pretty well, so there's no need to schedule it then. If we are looking to maximize our attendence for ALL games, the Beef Bowl should be Sept. 10th.

Thanks. ;)

SDSUFAN
01-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Great schedule! I was told the UNC game was also in Sioux Falls and that does not appear to be the case.

IMO, Nov 19th would not be a good time to showcase in Sioux Falls, because the weather will be very "iffy". Also seems like the HS playoffs in Vermillion will probably fall on that weekend, but not sure. I think any of the September or early October games are best to take to Sioux Falls. I understand the motels in Brookings are booked that weekend that UCD is on the schedule, due to a socceer tournament, so going south that Saturday would be a good idea for all concerned.

Mike_H
01-27-2005, 12:06 PM
High school playoffs are November 11th and 12th this year.

jackmd
01-27-2005, 12:10 PM
2005 schedue out

2005 Schedule
September
10 Valpariso, 7 p.m.
24 Cal Poly, 7 p.m.
October
15 open date
November
5 Southern Utah, 1 p.m.
19 Northern Colorado, 1 p.m

Hard to complain about this schedule. I hope I can make it to more games this year. Don't know my schedule for this fall yet.

I like the 7 pm games in Sept with a shift to 1 pm for the late fall games. This allows for maximal use of the "backyard" during the nicer weather. Can I reserve my place today?

JackTwice
01-27-2005, 02:30 PM
I think they need to reschedule the Ga. Southern game to 7pm. We need it as cold as possible.

freeway
01-27-2005, 04:40 PM
what you think cause it's cold the teams going to be slow. get real. if anything those leadfooted jacks will look as if they a moving in slow motion ;D

Rabbit_FB_Alum
01-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Please refer to the smack board. :-X

bisonguy
01-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I think they need to reschedule the Ga. Southern game to 7pm. We need it as cold as possible.

I'll be hoping for snow in Brookings on that day. ;D ;)

jackrabbit1979
01-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Freeway you seem to have some animosity towards the Jacks, is there any specific reason for it. You don't have, or didn't have connections to the program in some way did you?

Dakota
01-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Does anybody know if we are going to fill the open date on Oct 15th ? Or do they not allow 12 games, I thought I seen they allowed a 12th game or was that just talk.

[hr]
January 27, 2005

South Dakota State 2005 Schedule Announced
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=65648
South Dakota State University Sports Information, Ronald Lenz

Seven Home Games, Play In Sioux Falls

BROOKINGS, SD - After making seven road trips last fall, the South Dakota State University football team will spent most of the 2005 season at home.

One of SDSU’s eight home games will be played in Sioux Falls. The Jacks will face UC Davis at Howard Wood Field in a Great West Football Conference game on October 8. Kickoff will be at 1 p.m.

SDSU finished its first season in IAA football with a 6-5 record, winning all four of its home games plus road victories at Southern (Louisiana) and Northern Colorado. The Jacks played four of their five GWFC on the road, but next fall they will have just one conference road game, North Dakota State in Fargo on November 12.

In addition to the four GWFC opponents, the home schedule will also feature I-AA power Georgia Southern on Oct. 29. The Jacks will open the season on September 3 against Wisconsin-LaCrosse. The Hobo Day game will be Oct. 22 against Missouri-Rolla. The first three games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium will be night games.

2005 Schedule
September
10 Valparaiso, 7 p.m.
24 Cal Poly, 7 p.m.
October
15 open date
November
5 Southern Utah, 1 p.m.
19 Northern Colorado, 1 p.m.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
01-29-2005, 12:38 PM
The 12th game is just talk within the NCAA at this point. I hope some fans make the trip to the Texas St. game. San Marcos is a really nice area. I'll be there tailgating!!
89 Rabbit-mark Oct 1 in your day planner!!

89rabbit
01-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Sorry Tex,

I won't be able to make it. :( I will be on my way to St. Maarten, I will call you from the island to get a score. I had to book the trip last fall before all the dates were set.

Go State! ;D

OK_Jackrabbit
01-29-2005, 12:51 PM
If I'm still at OU in the fall, I'll be there with my wife and our associate dean who used to teach at Texas State.

OKC_Poke
01-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry Tex,

I won't be able to make it. :( I will be on my way to St. Maarten, I will call you from the island to get a score. I had to book the trip last fall before all the dates were set.

Go State! ;D

Sorry, 89. But, Hawaii is better than St. Maarten. ;)

BTW, your schedule looks good. :) Better than UW's. The conference schedule won't be released until late February (pobably). But, we do know this:

Home:
Louisiana-Monroe Indians (OOC; Sept. 10)
Brigham Young Cougars
New Mexico Lobos
Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels
Texas Christian Horned Frogs (will join the MWC on July 1 of this year)

Away:
at Florida Gators (on Sept. 3)
at Mississippi Rebels (on Sept. 24)
at Air Force Falcons
at Colorado State Rams
at San Diego State Aztecs
at Utah Utes

As for someone asking about the 12 game thing: if the NCAA approves it (which they will), 12 game seasons will start in 2006. Don't know if that rule will include the I-AA, Div. II, or Div. III or not.

bisonguy
01-29-2005, 02:02 PM
The 12th game is just talk within the NCAA at this point. I hope some fans make the trip to the Texas St. game. San Marcos is a really nice area. I'll be there tailgating!!
89 Rabbit-mark Oct 1 in your day planner!!

2008 will be the next year DI can have 12 regular season games under the current rules:

From the NCAA DI Manual (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf):

17.11.5.1 Maximum Limitations—Institutional. [I-A/I-AA] In Divisions I-A and I-AA, a member institution
shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition in the sport of
football during the permissible football playing season in any one year to 11 contests (games or scrimmages),
except as provided for member institutions located in Alaska and Hawaii, under Bylaw
17.30.2, and except as provided for all members under Bylaw 17.11.5.2. Twelve football contests shall
be permissible during those years in which there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing
date through the last playing date in November (2002, 2003, 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2019). (Revised:
1/12/99 effective 8/1/02, 8/5/99 effective 8/1/02

OKC_Poke
01-29-2005, 02:24 PM
2008 will be the next year DI can have 12 regular season games under the current rules:

From the NCAA DI Manual (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf):

So, the current rule doesn't apply to Division II nor Division III. I was wondering that. Thanks.

There's talking of making the rule permanent starting in 2006.

uncbearsfan
02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
when the heck is your athletic department going to step up and schedule a d 1-a school? UNC from what I have heard will once again play Florida Atlantic next season. This will be the 2nd season we have played a 1a team. Also from what I have heard we will have the same tough schedule as last season, just reverse the home and away games.

Rabbit_FB_Alum
02-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Easy there big fella! This will be only our second year in the big league. I am sure it is in the plans.

Dakota
02-01-2005, 05:34 PM
What a minute, was it not someone from the Bears saying we shouldn't do what UNC did and ease into the DI schedule.

Plus playing two top 5 AA clubs along with Poly, Davis and NDSU I think we have a nice schedule. We also had Nothern Iowa but they got a game with a bigger school.

Plus playing Florida Atlantic is good (great) but it is not like your scheduled to play USC or Oklahoma. It all comes out, just takes time. I myself can't wait to play the likes of Minnesota or Nebraska.

uncbearsfan
02-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I know what you're saying Kid Dakota, I was half kidding with you. UNC has had a "baptism by fire" going into Division 1. Considering both our football and basketball programs. I don't know if you had a chance to look at our mens hoops schedule but it is literally the 20th most difficult schedule in the entire nation. It sucks for fans, but the university gets lots of money to travel to the bigger schools and the players always love playing against the top competition. As for football, yes Florida Atlantic is not a CU or Nebraska, but they're a good d 1a team and we actually played very well against them two years straight. Once we hopefully get into the Big Sky and get our scholarships up, we should see Colorado State on the schedule. That would be awesome! I can't stand the Rams. Bear Down!

OKC_Poke
02-01-2005, 10:00 PM
I know what you're saying Kid Dakota, I was half kidding with you. UNC has had a "baptism by fire" going into Division 1. Considering both our football and basketball programs. I don't know if you had a chance to look at our mens hoops schedule but it is literally the 20th most difficult schedule in the entire nation. It sucks for fans, but the university gets lots of money to travel to the bigger schools and the players always love playing against the top competition. As for football, yes Florida Atlantic is not a CU or Nebraska, but they're a good d 1a team and we actually played very well against them two years straight. Once we hopefully get into the Big Sky and get our scholarships up, we should see Colorado State on the schedule. That would be awesome! I can't stand the Rams. Bear Down!

Hope you guys do play the nitwits from Fort Fudd. I do hope your Bears beat the Lambs.

BTW, I would like to see UNC on a future Wyoming football schedule. Our last game between the Bears and the Pokes set the record for the most points by one school in a football game:

1949: WYOMING COWBOYS 103, Northern Colorado Bears 0.

Rodentia
02-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Must be a team record, there's been higher scores than that. I can't find the list of the record scoring games offhand. Most of the 100+ scores are from a long time ago, no one seems to want to score the 100th point anymore, it's bad taste...

uncbearsfan
02-02-2005, 09:20 AM
I would also love to see the cowboys play the bears OkC_Poke. Much more then the rams. Gosh darn Joe Glenn keeps taking away our good coaches. Oh well, don't hold your breath on Joe staying at Wyoming too long. I think he will jump ship once the Colorado job is open. Joe is a heck of a coach when it comes to motivation but doesn't know much about X's and O's. I wish he was still here in Greeley.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Joe Glenn may not have had the most sophisticated offense or defense, but he was a great X and O's guy from this opponents standpoint. He had his team running the basics to perfection. That's something a lot of coaches can't seem to grasp. UNC, under Joe Glenn, ran an inside trap to perfection. They also ran a passing attack that was basically 3 plays, but with multiple variations on those 3 plays. He used the back running routes out of the backfield playing off the TE's route as well as anyone did. It sounded simple, but was a LB's nightmare.