Running Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Back

I think the one area we seem to lack depth is running back. Anthony Watson is a workhouse who takes a lot of punnishment and doesn't get hurt. After Anthony we have Trevor Hohn from Mitchell and Cory Koenig. We lost Anthony Robinson for obvious reasons and did not recruit a running back last year. This year we recruited Adam Monke who I assume may be redshirted and Jordan Paula who is rumored to be placed on the defensive side of the ball. I know we were recruiting some other options that evidently did not pan out. I think we need someone with breakaway speed opposite of Anthony. Do Hohn and Koenig possess that capability? If Anthony goes down I fear we will have some real issues. Last year I remember we moved some people around when Anthony was banged up. I'm not sure we have the speed at the running back position that other DIAA teams have .

Re: Running Back

I think the fact that we have a great young back in Watson coupled with the fact that we tended to pass so much the last couple of seasons may have had something to do with the lack of RB options. When Ranek was running over anyone and everyone it was hard to convince a young RB to join the team knowing he was going to have to sit until Ranek graduated. Same thing may be happening with Watson. Othertimes the great RBs in the local high schools are often converted to LBs for various reasons.

Also, I think an above average RB is one of the harder positions to recruit. It's hard to know what you have with any given highschool RB until you see them working with the smaller holes and bigger bodies of college football. Many times they just can't make the transition and are converted to CB. Hopefully yesterday's recruit will prove to be the next Ranek/Watson. Time will tell.

By the way, I'm pretty excited to see what Paula can do with some full time college coaching and teaching under his belt. With his size and speed he could be a huge impact player at the safety position.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Hohn is very fast. I don't have any times or anything, but from what I heard he can fly.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

By the way, I'm pretty excited to see what Paula can do with some full time college coaching and teaching under his belt.  With his size and speed he could be a huge impact player at the safety position.
        I believe Stig has said they're going to keep him a running back. For now anyway....

Comment

Its a shame, Jordan Paula, could not get a few hours off at Brookings High school to participate in spring ball up on the hill. I am very curious to see how he does respond, and if he can continue that breakaway speed that I saw in two or three Brooking HS games last fall, he could have a real interesting career at SDSU.

High school is much different than D1AA so Jordan probably has a lot to learn, but I think its a possibilty that he could play next fall. It would depend on what he can do and show the coaches in fall camp.

I think the two back up to Watson have some things different than what Watson has. In fact during one of the Tent After games, Luke Meadows made a comment that all three guys had something different, and if you put all the good qualities from all three together you would have one heck of a running back. I think we will be okay, plus Kardoes has more ability to run than Nelson.

Comment

* Edited by the Moderator,

Please use the smack board for posts like this.
            Georgia Southern Football - Out weighed, but seldom outplayed
            www.gsufans.com

Comment

Working...
            X