• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 football attendance

Let's keep it up in '05!  8)

http://www.gojacks.com

SDSU ranks among attendance leaders
    South Dakota State set a single-season football attendance record during the 2004 season, averaging 9,846 fans per game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

That put SDSU sixth on the NCAA Division II list for the year. The Jacks, in the transition period during the reclassification to Division I, are counted as Division II for all statistics this year. SDSU attracted 39,384 fans for four home dates.

The Great West Football Conference, in its first year of competition, finished 23rd among the 28 I-A or I-AA leagues. But only four league members counted
    towards that total with the league averaging 5,878 fans. If SDSU and North Dakota State, which led Division II by averaging 13,269 per game, would have counted in the I-AA numbers, the GWFC would have averaged 7,810 per game putting the league in 21st place. And SDSU would have finished 30th on the list of 119 I-AA teams.

All three of the non-conference games SDSU played on the road were against teams which finished in the I-AA top 20 for attendance -- Southern University in Baton Rouge, La., second at 23,048, Georgia Southern seventh at 15,123, and Montana State 19th at 12,365.  .  .  .

SDSU’s largest home crowd was 12,323 for the NDSU game on Oct. 9; the largest away crowd was 17,463 at Georgia Southern.

[img]www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/8214.jpg[/img]

Go State!  ;D

Re: 2004 football attendance

FYI, the NCAA counts us as DII but we are included on DIAA stats on ESPN.

Comment

What is significant about this record is that in 4 games SDSU did more in drawing people than USD did in 6 games. Who is South Dakota's team? ??? ??? ??? ???

Comment

I understand that during the 2004 season you averaged around 9,000 fans. However I noticed on Bisonville.com that in 2003 you averaged about 5,000 fans, does this sound about right? UNC had a poor average last season and averaged about 4,000. That's what a 2-9 season will do. However, we usually average about 5,000 a season. I don't know the exact amount but this is according to our official athletic website. Before this past season if you were averaging about 5,000 this would put you about equal to UNC. Correct? So why is everyone here "dissing" on UNC?

Comment

No one here, besides you,  really cares about UNC.  You might notice this thread had nothing to do with UNC before your post.  :

Go State!  ;D

P.S. Since you brough it up.

From the NCAA
          2004 Avg. Attendence

SDSU - 9,846
          UNC - 4,562

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
            I understand that during the 2004 season you averaged around 9,000 fans. However I noticed on Bisonville.com that in 2003 you averaged about 5,000 fans, does this sound about right? UNC had a poor average last season and averaged about 4,000. That's what a 2-9 season will do. However, we usually average about 5,000 a season. I don't know the exact amount but this is according to our official athletic website. Before this past season if you were averaging about 5,000 this would put you about equal to UNC. Correct? So why is everyone here "dissing" on UNC?

I don't think you want to bark up this tree bear(It's an argument you will never win), you may want to stick to location, location, location like the rest of the big sky big wigs.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

To all Bear fans, thanks for stopping and your welcome to browse but leave it at that. It has been stated by some of you that SDSU has nothing to offer. Only UNC and NDSU do. Hey if that is your opinion fine (I respect that but disagree) so then move along. I don't understand why your on our little board worrying about what we think, you don't have much respect for us anyway.

Best of luck to you if the BSC accepts you we have always wished you well and still do. Good Luck

PS: on a side note I hope your wrestling coach is able to put together that wrestling conference I read about. It would be a awesome wrestling confrence.

Comment

what was your attendance before the 2004 season? That is all I am asking, it is a simple question. The reason I am asking this is because attendance at Nottingham Field and your stadium may be similar, prior to the '04 season. I could be wrong, that's what I am trying to find out.

Comment

Not sure what point you are going to try to make, but I am sure that nobody cares.  This is a theard about SDSU's 2004 attendance and really has NOTHING to do with UNC or the Big Sky Conference.

Go State!  ;D  

Comment

03- SDSU had 5,547, UNC 5746
                    02- SDSU had 5,967, UNC 5,984
                    01- SDSU had 6,732, UNC 5,231
                    00- SDSU had 5,436, UNC, 4860
                    99- SDSU had 6,139 UNC 6,836
                    98- SDSU had 4,632 UNC 5,563

pretty similar #'s

Comment

Thanks for those numbers Hansel. My point 89rabbit is that I notice many rabbit fans saying that the Bears don't deserve to be in the BSC because of our attendance numbers. But according to Hansel the football attendance is relatively the same for both schools, save last season. I am sure you might see your attendance drop also if you were to go to 2-9 next season. As for the rest of the sports such as basketball: We had over 3,000 at Butler to see UNC vs. DU,just last night so I know now that atleast people will come out to the games, especially against an in-state rival. We now have four Division 1 in-state rivals that if last night proved anything, the UNC community will enjoy watching. If we get into the BSC it will only help with recruiting and attendance. By the way...are you saying that I am not welcome anymore

Comment

uncbearfan,

You are always welcome here.  I just get a little frustrated with you because all you really want to do is debate about the merits of UNC joining the Big Sky.  Which is ok if that is the topic of the thread, even if we have covered that topic time and time again, however as I have pointed out before this thread had NOTHING to do with UNC or the Big Sky.

How about this, UNC's fan support is great, your facilities are first rate and your attendence is mind blowing.  The Big Sky would be lucky to have you.  I really think you should hold out for the Mountain West or WAC.  Maybe, dare I say it, just maybe the Pac 10 should be your goal.  Is that what you are looking for?   If we went that way could you get over your inferiority complex?  Just wondering.

uncbearfan, it is what it is. You will get into the Big Sky because of location. Congrats, best of luck to you. I have no ill will towards UNC.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

If you must post about UNC and the Big Sky why not try some of these threads, most of which you started.  No need to pollute any others.  > 

Fan Support:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1107811006

Big Sky picks UNC as only candidate to expand:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...3044;start=0#0

JackGuyII :

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...52;start=11#11

From the Bison board:

UNC impresses Big Sky Officals:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...3483;start=9#9

BSC to visit UNC:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...3780;start=8#8

Big Sky: