Bison vs Minnesota maybe by '07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison vs Minnesota maybe by '07

Here are some highlights from the Fargo paper (you must register to read the whole story):

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Bison vs. Gophers
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Sunday, February 13, 2005

A North Dakota State vs. University of Minnesota football game, once considered a fantasy, is just two steps from reality.

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi said if the NCAA ratifies a 12th-game proposal, then he would be open to scheduling the Bison - perhaps as early as the 2007 season. It would also be contingent on NDSU averaging 60 scholarships over a three-year-period.

Both factors appear to be imminent.

The Division I Management Council forwarded a proposal to add a 12th game at the recent NCAA Convention in January. It would give I-A teams the ability to schedule a I-AA program every year without jeopardizing its bowl eligibility instead of the current rule of once every four years.

Maturi said he would like to rotate playing the likes of NDSU or Division I-AA Northern Iowa every two or three years. The 12th game legislation needs final approval by the Division I Board of Directors at a meeting in April. It is expected to pass.

"If you're going to play I-AA opponents, it means more to me to play somebody in close proximity to assist fans in those communities and to bring credibility to their program," Maturi said. "I think it's the right thing to do." . . .

Minnesota isn't the only I-A program on NDSU's target list. Taylor has discussed the issue with Iowa State. Other possibilities could be Kansas or Kansas State, although nothing has happened on that front yet.

Maturi said he encourages his coaches to play schools like NDSU. One reason is Maturi's background: he previously was the athletic director at mid-major universities Miami (Ohio) and the University of Denver.

He oversaw Denver's transition from Division II to Division I from 1996-98. NDSU began its five-year reclassification in 2003.

"I am respectful and appreciative for the challenge of doing something for another program," he said. "I believe in helping those causes." . . .

It won't be long and we to will be talking about this very topic. Good luck to NDSU in their quest for this game!

Go State! ;D

Re: Bison vs Minnesota maybe by '07

Where are we at on this? Do we have any games lined up with some D-1 programs? I know the 12th game issue isn't for sure yet and theres the whole BSC points thing. We should start prodding Colorado State for a chance to play. We should have a inside track there with that Ballard guy going there.

Comment

If I recall correctly our plan calls for SDSU to be at or above the 60 scholarship total by '08 so best guess is '11. Of course this is pure speculation and who knows maybe someone gives BIG $$$ and we can get to 60 sooner.

Go State!

Comment

I wish there was a way to accelerate the scholarships so we can play a DIA opponent sooner. It seems we could more than makeup the added scholarships by getting a big payday from one of the area DIA schools.

Comment

Working...
        X