Jason Connot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Connot

I don't know about the rest of you Jackrabbits but I have a major problem with the coach's not inviting Jason Connot to fall camp last year and now letting him go!! This is a kid that has some raw talent and needs to be polished. But, he was in the same situation as his older brother who is now with the chiefs!! Are you serious? They both walked on, both had potential, and both are late bloomers. What do you expect when they come from 8 man football? Scott was moved from position to position, and then found a home at safety, which now has earned him a home with the chiefs!! I am not saying Jason Connot would have gone to the NFL. But, if you would have told me during Scott's first and second season he was going to the NFL I would have laughed. You never know and I don't think the coaches gave him a chance. Also they could easily created some sour taste in Scott's mouth for some future funding!!! Good job coaches!!! Well I feel better getting that off my chest.

GO STATE!!!!

Re: Jason Connot

didn't they cut him before last season but then invite him back?  

seems to make good sense to keep the family of one of our 3 nfl alums happy if nothing else :-/

Comment

We have four Jackrabbits, currently in the NFL, and a lot more that have played in the NFL.

Connot
      Timmerman
      Heiden
      Vinatieri

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
        We have four Jackrabbits, currently in the NFL.

Connot
        Timmerman
        Heiden
        Vinatieri

Go State!  ;D

My bad, I knew that :-[....

Comment

Ummm...I guess it's OK for jacks02 to post his feelings about this, that's what this forum is for. But let's look at this a little closer. Is there some other stuff behind the scenes that may have caused the coaches to let him go? Are you privy to that info jacks02? If so, great, but you've now brought something up that only a few people know about and a majority of those who read your post don't have all of the background information on. So now people have a reason to be pissed about something that in reality may be a no issue because of something between the coaching staff and Jason.

Let me add that I don't know Scott Connot, Jason Connot or any other Connot's for that matter. I cannot comment on their abilities or their person. I wasn't there to watch Scott grow into the player he is now.

Here's a question to ponder though...in our new era of increased scholarships and decreased roster limits, should a roster spot be given to someone just because of who their brother, or father, or mother, or uncle, or any familiy lineage is? Would you want to be that person who has a spot simply because your brother is in the NFL? Granted, Jason may have the ability to play, but is it the ability to play at the IAA level. Maybe the coaches felt he was better suited to a lesser level and wouldn't be productive. Trust me, I saw plenty of "white rocks", as they were referred to behind the scenes, hang around and hang around as practice players, which are always needed. But with the increased level of competition now even the scout team needs to be a higher level of player. I'm not saying Jason is that type of player mind you.

Now, if Scott's brother being cut causes Scott to not donate in the future then that's too bad. But it wouldn't be the first, nor would it be the last that someone got bent out of shape over how a family member was treated and decided to not support the program that provided opportunities to them.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I agree with you catch-em. But still feel that this young man deserves a shot. In the mid 90s it seemed there was an on-going theme about bringing your younger brother to school. I believe most of them turned out to be pretty good damn ball players, but some did not (ie Vic Sosa's brother). I look at is, "I'll scratch your back," kind of deal. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know.

Comment

I appreciate your response and respect what you are saying.

Let's just say I am very informed on this situation. I do know Scott and Jason personally. I doubt Scott or Jason will read this but I know Scott wouldn't mind me saying this. Scott was not a good football player when he got here. Just like Jason. Scott is with the Chiefs now because of his work ethic and some God given talent. Jason is the same way. He was working his a$$ off to improve himself. I agree, we don't keep a kid on our roster because his brother is in the NFL. However, when they are very similar people will great work ethic why wouldn't you at least wait and see how he pans out???

I will admit I am biasis because I know the Connot's, I just don't think the coaches gave the kid a chance to show them how good he can be. He may never be a good college football player. I just don't think a year and a half was enough time to tell.

Athleticism runs in families and is genetic. Nobody can argue that. There are numerous examples, Ronde and Tiki Barber. Other even here. For example, Hillmans, Raneks, Mungers... The Connot family has 5 boys. All have played or are playing college athletics. You mean to tell me there isn't some athletic ability in that family?? When you combine an athletic person with a great work ethic you often get a guy like Scott Connot. Why wouldn't you at least wait and see what you will get from his brother.

If Scott makes it big. (Which he has a pretty good start) and doesn't give back to SDSU that is ok with you?? With me it is not ok. We currently have 4 guys in the NFL and all we get from that is use Vinny's name on our billboards and commercials. I realize that is very nice of him. But, we are now a Division I school and funding is one of you biggest obstacles. Our facilities need some major work. Nobody can argue that. We have arguable the best kicker in the NFL and a Pro Bowl caliber guard and we have a score board from the 60's or 70's. That is a not right!!!

None of this is directed towards anyone specific. I love to read about the Jacks and this is what this board is for. So nothing personal towards anyone. (except the coaches)

Comment

Unless Stig has changed his personality and belief system dramatically, he is loyal to a fault. We had 4-5 sets of brothers on the team while I was playing and he was proud of that. I know Stig thinks the world of Scott and would probably give his brother a second look ONLY because of the fact that he was Scott's brother. The fact remains, if he was talented enough to play for SDSU he wouldn't have been asked to leave the team. That's a hard reality to swallow sometimes. No one wants to be told they aren't good enough no matter who they are.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  Unless Stig has changed his personality and belief system dramatically, he is loyal to a fault.  We had 4-5 sets of brothers on the team while I was playing and he was proud of that.  I know Stig thinks the world of Scott and would probably give his brother a second look ONLY because of the fact that he was Scott's brother.  The fact remains, if he was talented enough to play for SDSU he wouldn't have been asked to leave the team.  That's a hard reality to swallow sometimes.  No one wants to be told they aren't good enough no matter who they are.
                  Most proved to be pretty damn good though...

Comment

Originally posted by jacks02
                    I don't know about the rest of you Jackrabbits but I have a major problem with the coach's not inviting Jason Connot to fall camp last year and now letting him go!! This is a kid that has some raw talent and needs to be polished. But, he was in the same situation as his older brother who is now with the chiefs!! Are you serious? They both walked on, both had potential, and both are late bloomers. What do you expect when they come from 8 man football? Scott was moved from position to position, and then found a home at safety, which now has earned him a home with the chiefs!! I am not saying Jason Connot would have gone to the NFL. But, if you would have told me during Scott's first and second season he was going to the NFL I would have laughed. You never know and I don't think the coaches gave him a chance. Also they could easily created some sour taste in Scott's mouth for some future funding!!! Good job coaches!!! Well I feel better getting that off my chest.

GO STATE!!!!
                    I have gotten to know a few of the assistant coaches and also Coach Stig real well. In their defense I think this decision was based on a great deal of input from all on the staff. Apparently in making room for better talent some of the walk on's have to be left behind. It does not seem fair, but life is not fair. I be willing to bet that a number of Dakota Conference or Great Plains conferences would give him a shot, if he wanted to play.

I dont know if that would fit Jason's academic goals, but those goals should take precedence over football at SDSU or any other institution. Education is your union card in life. Without it, it will not open many doors.

Twenty years  from now where Jason or any other student at SDSU is in their vocation or profession should be more important than anything else.  Being cut from the football team will seem a thing of the past and maybe very understandable to Jason. I sure he talked or they talked to Jason before they made this decision.

I suppose there are some alums out there that tighten their pockets because some one was kicked off the team or out of the band, or what ever, but it's your degree that opens doors to opportunity and you can find yourself with tax problems down the road$$$$$ , Giving to SDSU is a solution if you got a house and other things that are deductible.  

I think because Scott has shown some promise in the NFL, I dont think he has rolled up the bucks yet  that some of the other NFL veterans have in their career.  Whether Adam Timmerman or Adam Vinatari, feel generous towards SDSU, I dont know and I dont think a coaching decision will stop Scott or anyone else from opening their pockets to SDSU. You do it out of loyality and how you feel about your experience at SDSU.

Comment

Scott was at the women's basketball game versus Doane College last night. The fact that he would come to a Wednesday night women's basketball game versus an obscure team doesn't back up the theory that there is any ill will directed at the athletic department or football staff.

Comment

Let me clear a few things up. First of all, Jason did not get cut! He chose to leave. It was his choice and probably a good one.

Scott is a Jackrabbit. He went to a Wednesday night game and watched a 40 blowout. The whole game mind you. I never said Scott had a sour taste. I just don't want with to develop one. If he makes it big he will give back. He is that type of man!

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you Jackrabbits but I have a major problem with the coach's not inviting Jason Connot to fall camp last year and now letting him go!!
                          Let me clear a few things up. First of all, Jason did not get cut! He chose to leave. It was his choice and probably a good one.
                          Not sure about anyone else, but this first statement made me think the coaches cut Jason. Now jack02 you're saying he left on his own. That makes this situation different in my eyes. If he wasn't asked to leave by the coaches then this can't be blamed on the coaching staff. There will be hard feelings either way depending on how family and friends interpret the situation. At this point though what's done is done. Good luck to Jason in school.

Comment

Catch EmAll,
                            I said in the first email that the coaches didn't invite him back for fall camp last year and let him go. By letting him go I mean not giving him a chance, not giving him a large enough scholarship and see what he can do. The coaches didn't give him choice. Anyone in there right mind would have left for a better situation.

Jason isn't a terrible football player and was cut from the team. He has great athletic ability and work ethic, like Scott. Anyway we are beating a dead horse here so I will post again about this.

I also with Jason good luck. As i am sure Stig does (because he is that kind of guy)

Comment

I'm gonna beat this dead horse one last time. I guess I was getting confused about your description of being cut. In your first post you stated that he wasn't invited to fall camp last year and was now being let go. I read that to mean he wasn't invited to fall camp, but was given a roster spot after school started and was now being cut this spring. I've just confused myself. Either way that part I'm done with.

Here's where I've got a problem:
                              Catch EmAll,
                              I said in the first email that the coaches didn't invite him back for fall camp last year and let him go. By letting him go I mean not giving him a chance, not giving him a large enough scholarship and see what he can do. The coaches didn't give him choice. Anyone in there right mind would have left for a better situation.
                              (I'm going to preface this by saying from this point forward has no reflection on Jason Connot, it is merely a generalized statement) Scholarships are not given, they are earned. If everyone who wasn't given a scholarship, even though they thought they deserved it, felt that they weren't given a choice and "left for a better situation", then I wouldn't be on this chatboard at all most likely. Here's why...I walked on to the SDSU football team, because of injuries to other players my redshirt was pulled and I played as a true freshman. I thought I had earned a scholarship by earning playing time, but that wasn't the case. Sophmore year I was again a non-scholarship player, but busted my ass to prove that I deserved to be on scholarship. Funny thing...I proved that I had earned my place and therefore earned a scholarship. Long story short, had I felt I wasn't being given a choice I wouldn't have been two time All-NCC, All-American, Academic All-American and an NCAA Post Graduate Scholarship recipient. I'm tooting my horn to prove a point. If you want it bad enough you need to give the coaches a reason to let you prove it. If you prove it you will be rewarded. IMO true freshmen don't deserve a scholarship, period. I've seen guys on 3/4 or full rides who never make a play, while guys who are walk-ons or small scholarship guys are the stars of the team. Too much money is wasted on "potential" rather than awarding scholarships on proof. Granted, recruiting would be a nightmare if you can't dangle that carrot of scholarship money, but wouldn't it be interesting if the NCAA said that all freshman had to pay their own way for one year before being given a scholarship. It will never happen though.

I feel bad for Jason that he's not getting to fullfil what was hopefully a dream of playing for SDSU. I hope that he proves the coaches wrong by having a successful career somewhere else. If he chooses to not play football, I hope he gets his college degree and has success in whatever his chosen profession. Hopefully though, neither Jason nor his family is too soured on SDSU by these events.

Comment

Working...
                              X