Gateway Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Conference

Read in USA Today that the Mid-American Conference President's have voted to consider expansion. Two of it's 14 members are leaving (Marshall and Central Florida) to Conference USA next season. In the MAC's sights is Western Ky which is weighing a move up to I-A Football and Big East Temple outcast in Football only. The Chairman of the Council of President's was quoted "the matter is certainly a high priority and we expect discussions to move forward efficiently.
    If Western Ky departs the Gateway Conference this would leave this football only conference with just 7 members and possibly an opportunity for SDSU and NDSU. Of course our friends to the North think they have the inside track if they expand to just 8 rather than 9. This also creates an opening in the southland conference where W. Kentucky plays basketball. Maybe one of the Mid-Cont teams (Centenary) would be interested in moving to the Southland. The conference reshuffling continues and just maybe someone will come calling soon.

Re: Gateway Conference

It would be nice to have geography working with us for a change.

Go State! ;D

P.S. Western Ky. plays in the Sun Belt, but your point remains the same.

Comment

Here is another interesting article on WKU's potential D1 move.
      http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/...PP_sports.html

WKU athletics director Wood Selig said Thursday that the school is currently building financial models and timelines to see if going to the NCAA’s highest level will work.

“We should have that complete in about a month or so,” Selig said.

“Before we make any sort of announcement, we want to make sure this is going to work for us.”

The Hilltoppers currently play at the I-AA level – just a step below I-A – and won that national championship in 2002.

Western currently has major renovations planned for L.T. Smith Stadium, which would make the aging facility adequate for Division I-A.

One other thing the WKU administration will watch closely is the April meeting of the NCAA Division I Management Council. It is expected to do away with the current 15,000 home football attendance requirement for I-A membership.

“We still want to wait and see what happens with that because it’s still not official,” Selig said.

Western averaged just 8,769 fans this past season, so the relaxation of the 15,000 rule would benefit the Toppers – if they choose to make the move up.

Fans, players and coaches alike are anxious to find out if Western is indeed going to leave I-AA.

WKU football coach David Elson said he is asked about I-A all the time when he is recruiting.

“It’s part of the mix,” Elson said. “When (recruits) see the potential facility plans going on and the growth and the fact that we’ve been at the top of I-AA, it’s just a natural question. It’s a factor in kids’ minds. It’s the highest level of college football and everybody has that dream of playing at the highest level.”

Despite rumors to the contrary, Western will not be joining the Mid-American Conference if it moves up a division.

“The MAC has not made any kind of overture indicating that they would consider us for membership and we haven’t talked to them,” Selig said.

Selig said playing I-A football as an independent is a “recipe for failure,” which leaves only the Sun Belt Conference – where WKU currently plays in all sports except football and men’s soccer.

“The Sun Belt will be our only option if we want to play (football) at the I-A level,” Selig said.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
        Here is another interesting article on WKU's potential D1 move.
        http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/...PP_sports.html

Western averaged just 8,769 fans this past season, so the relaxation of the 15,000 rule would benefit the Toppers – if they choose to make the move up.

Wow we Avg. 9,846.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I recall reading or hearing that some Gateway offical said the ideal number of members for the Gateway was 9. So that each team would have 4 home and 4 away conference games each year.  If that is true and WKU left they would be looking for 2 new members.   8)

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I would like us to explore the possibilities of the Gateway. Travel distances would be good...I wondering if they are interested in expansion..

Go Jacks !!!!!!
            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I am not sure if there is offically interest.  There is some unoffical talk over on the UNI board.

http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=837

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I am sure that both the SU's have been looking into the Gateway and both would be the best options if they ever choose to expand. But nothing will happan until WKU leaves since their comish said that 9 is the ideal number, and she has also said a few things about the geographic issues the Dakota schools have. If WKU or SIU were to leave these issues would probably go away. Gateway fans are talking about the possibility of expanding over at Valleytalk.net and there seems to be some support, a little more for NDSU though. I don't think they know to much about SDSU over there, here is the link to the board.
                http://www.valleytalk.net/

Comment

More news from the MAC that may effect the Gateway.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...oMWwI4fa7TELEE

WKU discussing move to MAC

School studying I-A football jump

By Michael Grant
                  mgrant@courier-journal.com
                  The Courier-Journal

Western Kentucky athletic director Wood Selig said yesterday that the university has been approached by Mid-American Conference officials, who are interested in replacing schools that are leaving after this season.

A possible move from the Sun Belt Conference to the MAC has Western officials considering a jump to Division I-A, the highest level of NCAA football.

Selig said MAC commissioner Rick Chryst called him last week to request a profile on Western's athletics and academics.

The MAC is looking at schools to replace Central Florida (a football-only member) and Marshall, who are leaving for Conference USA next season. Selig intends to present MAC officials with information on Western within the next couple of weeks.  .  .  .

Comment

From what I am hearing out of NDSU it would seem that most of the interest is still in the Big Sky......as it should be. NDSU needs a conference with the Montana schools.

Comment

I wonder how long Montana St. and U of Montana will stand by, and not make a big deal out of the exclusion of NDSU & SDSU- maybe until 2007-8 until were tournament eligible? It's pretty well known that both are big advocates of both SU's admission into the conference. They are the two 800lb. gorillas of the Big Sky. pretty soon they will get thier way.

Comment

I think before they get their way they might be on their way to DIA (especially Univ. of Montana). I'm not as crazy about the Big Sky as I once was and if the Montana schools were to depart the Big Sky than I have no interest in SDSU getting in that conference.

Comment

I am with you on that one. Gateway and Missouri Valley, or Horizon, or Mid-Con is good with me.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by WYOBISONMAN
                            From what I am hearing out of NDSU it would seem that most of the interest is still in the Big Sky......as it should be.  NDSU needs a conference with the Montana schools.
                            Where is all this crap about Montana State leaving the Big Sky? I have heard that Uof Montana may leave for division 1a in a couple of years, but not Montana State.

Comment

I think if one leaves, the other has to too, or something like that. Or else they both have to stay. I heard it is in some law in the legislature. Anyone else heard that?

Comment

Working...
                              X