Zona connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zona connection?

Was looking over the incoming recruits for football and was trying to understand the connection between State and Arizona. Is there someone on the coaching staff from the area or with an inroad? Arizona is pretty fertile. Many football minds (much smarter than I) have always believed that ASU and UA are sleeping giants but the athletic dept's always shortchange (especially ASU) football. Smart move getting in there before Stoops closes the borders and Koetner builds more mo.
    Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Re: Zona connection?

Coach Wilkinson spent time at a school in AZ. I however do not remember what school it is. I know he has some great (in's) as far as highschool's go. There are also Jackrabbit alums that call the office quite frequently.

Comment

I don't know that we are necessarily taking recruits away from ASU and UA but the Phoenix and Tucson areas have grown so much that there is a lot of talent down there. We are competing with other Big Sky teams such as Northern Arizona. ASU continues to get most of their recruits from talent rich California.

Comment

I agree, that State is not competing directly with ASU or UA for recruits. I was looking at this from a different angle. If ASU and UA which seem to now have thier FB chit together may try to close the borders, by convincing players they might not recieve full scollies to take partials or be a recruited walk-on. Nebraska in the past has done this quite succesfully. There are players that could play at the D-1AA level or at least contribute that would rather stay near thier home, take a lower offer and be a member of a succesful BCS program
        Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I think for some kids that might be alluring but if you have some talent you want to display it on the field rather than simply be part of a team.

Comment

Working...
          X