Another opening on the Coaching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another opening on the Coaching Staff

Looks like Karl Ballard is heading home (at least his College home) to Colorado State.  Sad news for the Jackrabbits, but good news for Karl.  Thank you to Karl for all his efforts.

http://coloradostate.scout.com/2/351526.html

Rams Announce Staff Changes
    By CSU-SID
    Date: Feb 11, 2005

Fort Collins - Colorado State University football coach Sonny Lubick today announced that former assistant coach Tom Ehlers has become the school's first-ever director of football operations and Karl Ballard has joined the staff as the team's new defensive tackles coach.  

Ehlers has spent the past 16 years as an assistant coach with the program and played at CSU in the 1980's, while Ballard formerly was an all-star linebacker at Colorado State in the mid 1990's, and most recently an assistant coach at South Dakota State University.  .  .  .

Like Ehlers, Ballard played and coached at Colorado State, and now returns to his alma mater.

"Karl is an exceptional football coach," said Lubick. "He has worked very hard to move up the coaching ladder. He brings a great deal of enthusiasm, experience, and knowledge to our staff.

"He has been a very successful coach who has the ability to help make our program better. Karl knows what has made our program successful because he played here in our system and was a graduate assistant coach. During his four years at South Dakota State, he earned the reputation for his hard work, his knowledge of the game, and his ability to recruit and coach student-athletes."

Ballard is a former walk-on football player at Colorado State, who helped the Rams to a pair of conference titles in 1994 and '95, and two ensuing Holiday Bowl berths. In 1995, he was a first-team all-conference linebacker and was named the team's most valuable player. That same season, he was named the winner of the Admiral's Award, presented by Holiday Bowl officials to an individual for contributions above and beyond the normal duties toward the success of the football program.

"Karl earned his playing time the hard way," said Lubick. "He was a walk-on who transferred to CSU from Iona College, and drove his car across the country to join our program without any guarantees. When he got his opportunity, he made the most of it and was really a team leader who made us successful."  .  .  .

He then returned to Colorado State as a graduate assistant coach from 2000-01 as part of a program that won the Mountain West Conference title his first year and played in the Liberty Bowl against Southern Mississippi. The following season the Rams defeated North Texas in the New Orleans Bowl.

In 2001, he was named an assistant coach at South Dakota State, coordinating the special teams and coaching the linebackers. A year later, he was named the defensive coordinator at SDSU. Prior to the 2004 season, besides being the team's defensive coordinator, Ballard assumed the title of assistant head coach under SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier.

Ballard earned a bachelor's degree in Social Science with a minor in history at CSU in 1996.

Good luck to Coach Ballard.

Go Jackrabbits!  ;D

Re: Another opening on the Coaching Staff

That hurts. Karl was a great coach and could really motivate the players. He seemed to have the defense making steps in the right direction. Hopefully, whoever replaces him can continue with what he's started. Good luck to him.

Comment

damn.......thats gotta hurt! oh well the show goes on.

Comment

Same thing applies as I've seen noted on the NDSU message board: when your assistant coaches are moving on to top-tier programs, you know you're doing something right. Fast-rising young coaches will note that places like SDSU are where they want to be to attract attention. They will only move up if they've done well at SDSU.

While it's tough to lose a coach like Karl, it's proof the program is on the right track.

Comment

If you read the football programs closely you will find that his wife was working on a PHD at SDSU so that would ordinarily mean greener pastures somewhere, but it looks like Karl beat her to the punch.  I believe Karl's wife taught swimming at Brookings High School as well. Both will be missed.

I hope we can find an able replacement, for him and others. No doubt there are replacements out there, but a good salary structure might stop some of this but then maybe not.

You hope Wilkensen will not follow at least for a while. We had some great game plans that made a difference in nearly all of the six games that were won and made some of the tough losses close.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
            Same thing applies as I've seen noted on the NDSU message board:  when your assistant coaches are moving on to top-tier programs, you know you're doing something right.  Fast-rising young coaches will note that places like SDSU are where they want to be to attract attention.  They will only move up if they've done well at SDSU.

While it's tough to lose a coach like Karl, it's proof the program is on the right track.
            Sorry, but this will come off as negative. Comparing the NDSU coaching situation to ours is not quite apples to apples. I think every NDSU coach that has left has moved up to IA (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know the two most recent did for sure. On the other hand, Karl is making the move up, that's a fact. But Doug moved down to DII and the other guy (sorry I can't remember his name) moved to where (???)? I hope the program is on the right track, but I personally feel the replacement hires will really set the tone. Of course it will be tough to know right away if the incoming coaches are the real deal or not, but by this time next year we will know if good hires were made. This is by far the most critical off season of Stig's career. He just lost a top quality DC and a very good D-backs coach. Replacing these two isn't going to be easy nor should it be. This won't be a time for hiring "Joe Coach" or to promote another GA. Experience matters at this stage of the game.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

The other guy was Kris Roberts and dont know what the story was in his exit, except that he is young and single, so moving on was much easier for him than maybe for those who have familes. Roberts, I believe showed passion at times and wished he too had stayed.

I would agree that this off year has to be a tough one for Coach Stig. I feel salaries are a stubbling block, as we do end up with proven GA being hired, who get a couple of years of coaching under their belt and they move on to a better job. Salaries along with facilities are major concerns in our move on to D1.

Somehow the revolving door has to be stopped and locked in place so we do develope an experienced staff that will work together and develope good game plans that win games.

Comment

Really sorry to see Karl leave, but also happy for him. The guys really like him and enjoy playing for him. Stig faces a big challenge to replace several coaches. Sounds like Josh Conklin will be the DL coach, that has been well received by the players. Karl was a high energy, intense coach, the kind an aggressive defense needs. I have all the faith that Stig will find a coach that fills our needs and possiblily be better......I am always the eternal optimist also.....

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Please explain your comment ex-jack

Go Jacks !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
                    Dont believe everythingyou read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    This is funny, because by reading this I can also believe that I should not believe not believing everything I read, which would in turn be a double negative, therefore I should believe everything I should read.

Regardless of what ex-jack is implying, I do know it caught more than just us fans by suprise.

On a similar tangent, relating to the SDSU Athletics web site. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that when a coach leaves there is no notice made on the web site. Their bio disappears, but no reason is given. Heck, I'd take something simple like "Karl Ballard has resigned as Defensive Coordinator of the Jackrabbit Football team. Karl will be returning to his alma mater Colorado State to coach the Defensive Linemen. A search for his replacement will begin immediately". The way it is now, for those that aren't plugged into the chatboard, the inner workings of the athletic department, or whatever, the only way they know a coach has left is when the announcement of a replacement is made. Maybe there's a reason for not posting a resignation, if there is I'll live with it.

Doug and Kris both left with no mention anywhere but the Argus and here. The flippin' Argus even runs a couple sentences.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                      On a similar tangent, relating to the SDSU Athletics web site.  Is anyone else bothered by the fact that when a coach leaves there is no notice made on the web site.  Their bio disappears, but no reason is given.  Heck, I'd take something simple like "Karl Ballard has resigned as Defensive Coordinator of the Jackrabbit Football team.  Karl will be returning to his alma mater Colorado State to coach the Defensive Linemen.  A search for his replacement will  begin immediately".  The way it is now, for those that aren't plugged into the chatboard, the inner workings of the athletic department, or whatever, the only way they know a coach has left is when the announcement of a replacement is made.  Maybe there's a reason for not posting a resignation, if there is I'll live with it.
                      I think the appearance of the gojacks.com Web site was nicely reworked, but the content didn't change enough. It still isn't a very good "news" site. It needs to have an intercollegiate athletics focus and more dynamic content (frequently updated news and pictures) to be a useful destination for visitors to return to frequently.

It's clear to me that the administration is aware that some of these changes will need to be implemented in the future. But they're focusing now (rightly so) on fundraising and scholarships. Eventually I'll bet you'll see a newsier gojacks.com and it will be the kind of site people like us will visit frequently to see what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-jack
                        Dont believe everythingyou read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Has there been an answer as to what ex-jack was referring to in this post? If it's just an attempt to dangle a carrot, then I guess I'm the greyhound running around the track. What, pray tell, are you trying to say?

I don't have any inside info myself and feel it's inappropriate to ask Stig about it, but from what I've heard Ballard was well thought of and well respected by the coaches and players alike. I doubt a coach gets the "assistant head coach" lable from Stig without being a good guy all around. If you have some contrary information or some info regarding Ballard's departure that the general public is not privy too, I'm all ears.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

For what its worth...Karl was pretty misty eyed during the football banquet., especially when Chris and Joey got their team awards. Those were his guys, and it looked like the defense always rallied around him. Karl is going back to his school to work with his mentor. But it is tough for him to leave State, no doubt.
                          They have over 60 applications for the d-backs coaching job, and could have as many or more for Karls spot. Stigs comment was they want to make sure the coach fits in, with the players and other coaches.
                          If you look around the 1AA ranks, or even 1A, assistant coaches are constantly on the move, getting promotions, or different assignments.
                          We may have to get used to the 3 and out type of assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by newser
                            For what its worth...Karl was pretty misty eyed during the football banquet., especially when Chris and Joey got their team awards. Those were his guys, and it looked like the defense always rallied  around him. Karl is going back to his school to work with his mentor. But it is tough for him to leave State, no doubt.
                            They have over 60 applications for the d-backs coaching job, and could have as many or more for Karls spot.  Stigs comment was they want to make sure the coach fits in, with the players and other coaches.
                            If you look around the 1AA ranks, or even 1A,  assistant coaches are constantly on the  move, getting promotions, or different assignments.
                            We may have to get used to the 3 and out type of assistants.
                            The number of applicants for both jobs is good news and lets hope they find the ones that are most knowlegable and most passionate about winning as that is what is needed. I dont suppose a selection committee is involved with assisant job applicants, but if they are getting that many, as much input from the football community would be helpful. I dont think I am qualified, but some on this board would be qualified.

Comment

I have heard the same thing that there is a number of applicants for the coaching openings. Hopefully there are some top notch people looking to coach here.....

Go Jacks !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X