Hobo Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Days

Hey, I'm new to this message board and just wanted to get involved. I'm the new Students' Association President so hopefully I can add useful information throughout the next year.

The only thing I have for tonight is the Hobo Day game is scheduled for October 22 at 2 PM. We are playing Missouri-Rolla. I'll check on the theme and let you know. Hope to see you all there.

Ryan

Re: Hobo Days

Welcome aboard, el presidente.  Lets hope for a nice balmy Saturday for Hobo Day.  I dont think we will have a  very competitive opponent for the game, but I am sure other things came into play in picking October 22 date.

I from the real old school when Hobo Day was advertized as the biggest one day event in South Dakota.  Thats why my reference to "Day" is singular and not plural.  Times have changed so much since then.
    Having more farm population and a better phesant hunting area around Brookings used to draw thousands for the parade.  

I do understand the changes though and with a larger enrollment, it is necessary to get the student body involved and to make it an event that lasts all week works for that purpose so I guess it is now appropriately called "Hobo Days."

I am curious about the SA election.  Did you and your running mate have a mandate?  Was the voting participation about 10% of the total enrollement?  Apathy seems to be a problem with student elections and as I recall a few years back we had a SA president who was in trouble with the law elected. It goes to show how apathy can lead to negative results in a democracy. Did not mean to be poltical but still on topic at SDSU. BTW I attended in the early to mid 1960's and I dont recall every voting in a SA election, so cant be too vocal on this matter.

Comment

Welcome aboard el_presidente. Glad you made it to the board !! Good luck this year!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
        I from the real old school

I do understand the changes though and with a larger enrollment, it is necessary to get the student body involved and to make it an event that lasts all week works for that purpose so I guess it is now appropriately called "Hobo Days."
        With the University Program Council (UPC), Hobo Days is definately the correct term. I'm not sure what their history to 1960 is but they basically put on events and activities all week long for student involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          I am  curious about the SA election.  Did you and your running mate have a mandate?  Was the voting participation about 10% of the total enrollement?  Apathy seems to be a problem with student elections and as I recall a few years back we had a SA president who was in trouble with the law elected. It goes to show how apathy can lead to negative results in a democracy. Did not mean to be poltical but still on topic at SDSU.  BTW I attended in the early to mid 1960's and I dont recall every voting in a SA election, so cant be too vocal on this matter.
          Voter turnout was 21% (up 2% from last year). There was 4 tickets running. We ended up with 1134 votes. The next ticket was 472, then 438, and 235 for all the slates....so we were at 49.76% of the total vote.

One of the big recent additions is online voting. Students can vote from any computer on the sdstate website. Getting them to vote is still a tough issue.

We tried to promote voting through our website (www.votejackrabbit.com) and had about 800 hits on the two election days.

Comment

Welcome to the board el_presidente, thanks for posting.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
            X