Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Head Coaching Job

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/11088795.htm

Former NFL coach Jerry Glanville is a candidate for the NSU job.

Re: Northern Head Coaching Job

A person has to wonder why Glanville would be interested in a job like Northern's........

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

A reasonable person has to wonder why Northern State would even make him a finalist for the position. Maybe I'm wrong but here are some concerns:

1) Does Glanville realize he would be walking into a job paying maybe $70,000-$75,000?
      2) Glanville, if he got the job, will make a lot of demands. Equipment, staff, offices, compensation, travel expenses, recruiting budget, etc. Why would Athletic Director Bob Olsen want to have this headache?
      3) Can a guy like Glanville operate within the strict guidelines (many times goofy) and procedures of Higher Education in South Dakota? He would get very frustrated. He's used to wanting something, then just going to get it. Not so with state government.
      4) Would Glanville give up his sideline work (television shows, etc.) to concentrate on the Wolves program? I don't think his ego would let him.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but think whole thing is very strange.

Comment

Glanville was also an applicant for a I-AA coaching spot earlier this season (Sam Houston State?).

Looks like his stock has dropped considerably. That, or he just wants to coach for a hobby.

Comment

Good points Alum guy, I dont know what his age is but he might be getting close to retirement and maybe a job like this would be a way to coast into retirement. Just a guess here. I think out of kindness and name recognition, he has been considered a finalist.

Some of the concerns that Alum guy raised will no doubt surface during this interviewing process and I would look for him to either drop out, or to adjust if he is that hungry for a job.

Also Kay Dalton came out of retirement to be on Joe Glenn's staff at UNC and is still coaching. Dalton also has NFL experience. So Glanville is not the first NFL guy to coach college ball below the D1A level. If I were a NSU fan, I would want to know what goals he would have for the program, and how would he accompolish these goals.

Comment

A good friend of mine is an assistant coach at NSU. He said Glanville is very serious about the job. Some of the reasons NSU may want Glanville.

1. Recruiting - Glanville was/is a high profile guy. When NSU has to compete against USD and UND for the DII talent in the area, having a name like Glanville will undoubtadly bring in a couple kids they wouldn't otherwise get.

2. Publicitiy - No matter what, if NSU hires Glanville, NSU will get a ton of free pub. Now, I would imagine a good deal of it may be in the jeering context by the national media, but it would definitely get NSU's name out there.

3. Longevity - I wonder if Glanville is using this gig as a springboard towards trying to get into the D1 arena again. Either way, I doubt he intends to stay for long. This could be a negative too, depending on what NSU is looking for.

Just some of the things I thought of when I heard Glanville was interviewing.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
              A good friend of mine is an assistant coach at NSU.  He said Glanville is very serious about the job.  Some of the reasons NSU may want Glanville.

1. Recruiting - Glanville was/is a high profile guy.  When NSU has to compete against USD and UND for the DII talent in the area, having a name like Glanville will undoubtadly bring in a couple kids they wouldn't otherwise get.

2. Publicitiy - No matter what, if NSU hires Glanville, NSU will get a ton of free pub.  Now, I would imagine a good deal of it may be in the jeering context by the national media, but it would definitely get NSU's name out there.

3. Longevity - I wonder if Glanville is using this gig as a springboard towards trying to get into the D1 arena again.  Either way, I doubt he intends to stay for long.  This could be a negative too, depending on what NSU is looking for.

Just some of the things I thought of when I heard Glanville was interviewing.
              It could also be that Glanville wants to create some "buzz" around his name and is a candidate for a whole bunch of jobs. That would not surprise me.

Comment

He also applied for the New Mexico State head job earlier this year.

For those that care...another chatboard with rumors flying about this topic

http://phpbb88.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p...=footballscoop
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

The SouthWest media/writers were hard on Glanville for going after the New Mexico State job. What will they say if he goes to NSU?? I think this is ludicrous!!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    2. Publicitiy - No matter what, if NSU hires Glanville, NSU will get a ton of free pub.  Now, I would imagine a good deal of it may be in the jeering context by the national media, but it would definitely get NSU's name out there.
                    If its anymore than a publicity stunt I'll be stunned to say the least. Unless Glanville loves to hunt and fish, there is nothing in Aberdeen, not even a real college FB team.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Remember when George Allen went to Long Beach State(arguably the worst D1 program in the country at that time) It worked well for all.

People that have a passion for coaching don't care, Northern should tell him whats up and if he likes it good, if not get a more traditional person. Everyone would benefit if everything is above board.

I wouldn't put to much analysis in career path, maybe the guy just wants to coach, don't punish him for being overqualified.

Comment

George Allen's first coaching job was at Morningside College and he managed to win a NCC title. Late 1940's I believe.

George Allen was a dedicated coach and pretty reserved and that is what made his Long Beach experierence work. Granville is a gadfly and that makes a difference.

Over on D2 a former assistant under Huepal said he never got reimbursed for some his recruiting travels and he was the budget manager for football. In other words he made the noble choice of not paying himself because cash was not there to pay himself.

Its not going to be fun for Jerry if he is selected.

Comment

Northern St. interviews ex-NFL coach
                          Wolves players get excited about Heupel's potential replacement

published: 03/16/05

ABERDEEN - Jerry Glanville's experience as a National Football League head coach makes him a good prospect for the top coaching job at Northern State University, players said after talking with Glanville this week.

Glanville was in Aberdeen to interview for the job at Northern State, an NCAA Division II program. He is one of four finalists for the post.

Glanville talked with school officials and met with the team, which ended the 2004 season 6-5, including a 5-2 record in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference.

"It was just exciting to have that high-profile of a guy come in and be interested in this position," said Brian Jark, who played his high school football in Aberdeen.

Glanville has coached for four NFL teams, including the Houston Oilers and the Atlanta Falcons. He also has been a sports commentator on television.

"I think when you get here, you go away with a different feeling than before you came," Glanville said in an interview. "Coming here, I didn't know what the strengths were. But after being here for two days, 21/4 days, the strength is the people."

Quarterback Toby Korrodi said the team had a good talk with Glanville on Monday.

"He just flat-out told us, you know, 'This is what's going to happen; this is what I expect of the team.' And he's not even our coach yet," Korrodi said.

Defensive player Steven Edwards said he would like to work under Glanville to improve as a player.

"He was the guy that brought Deion Sanders into the league, so being a corner, I'm looking forward to working with him so he can help me develop, help my teammates develop and take us to the next level," Edwards said.

Glanville said he got a good feel for the team during his visit and that there were more plusses than minuses.

The other candidates for the Wolves post are Kyle Achterhoff, offensive coordinator at Northwestern College in Iowa; Lance Leipold, assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Nebraska-Omaha; and Paul McCord, special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills.

"Whoever comes in will do a great job and just work to make our team the best we can be," Jark said.

Ken Heupel, who was 44-33 overall in seven years as Northern's head coach, announced Jan. 19 that he was stepping down.

Comment

Found this over at espn.com

South Dakota school has three other candidates
                            Associated Press

ABERDEEN, S.D. -- A former National Football League coach and candidate for the position of head football coach at Northern State University has withdrawn his application.

University officials said Jerry Glanville chose to accept another opportunity.

"We understand and support his withdrawal," said NSU Athletic Director Bob Olson. "We wish him the best of luck."

Glanville, former head coach of the Houston Oilers (now Tennessee Titans) and Atlanta Falcons, was one of four candidates who was interviewed for the head coaching position.

The other candidates are Paul McCord, special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills, Kyle Achterhoff, offensive coordinator at Northwestern College in Iowa, and Lance Leipold, assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Nebraska-Omaha.

Former head coach Ken Heupel resigned in January.

Comment

There's a publicity stunt played out to perfection: Apply for a job you would never take, resulting in stories about how you're a candidate. Visit and generate a bunch of stories. Then withdraw and read another story about yourself. This is a guy who's trying to make it seem as though he's in great demand, probably to convince some athletic director at a larger school that he's not a has-been.

Comment

Working...
                              X