D-1AA HEAD COACH SALARIES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-1AA HEAD COACH SALARIES

Jerry Kill the head coach at Southern Illinois University received an unbelivable salary increase. Coach Kill at one time coached in D2 MIAA conference, not sure which school, but I believe Emporia State.

Here is Jeff Kolpeck's article
    Sunday, April 17, 2005

Coaching salary bar raised with Kill's contract
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Sunday, April 17, 2005

When Southern Illinois University gave its head football coach a hefty raise to $165,000 per year, it was the salary equivalent to the 8-foot high jump or the 20-foot pole vault.

The bar was raised. And that popping sound heard around the Division I-AA offices that day were the eyes of athletic directors, most of whom have no chance at reaching that pay level.

"I hope our coaches don't see that," NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said.

SIU, which hosts NDSU on Nov. 19, gave Jerry Kill a hike from $144,216 this year to $165,000 retroactive to Feb 1. He made $93,600 last year - a figure that is more the norm for Division I-AA.

An analysis of NDSU's 2005 opponents shows the 10 opponent head coaches average $94,322 per year. That most likely puts the $117,000 NDSU's Craig Bohl makes in the upper tier of Division I-AA.

Take away Kill's salary and the average of the other nine opponents is $86,469. Northern Colorado's Kay Dalton - who has publicly complained about UNC's lack of financial prowess - is the lowest paid at $65,000.

"We do have some work to do," said Ken McConnellogue, Northern Colorado vice president for university advancement.

"It's one of the primary issues we're facing right now," McConnellogue said. "We don't want to be a weigh station for people just passing through because the salaries are so low. It's important we keep good people."

South Dakota State head coach John Stiegelmeier's salary isn't much higher at $74,372 per year. SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said salaries for his coaches, in part, are dictated by nation-wide data that he obtained from a University of Wisconsin professor.

"Everybody starts at a different point and certainly our long-term goals are to be right there with the rest of the nation," Oien said.

Bohl's total package, which includes camps and coaches shows, is believed to be in the $150,000 range, a figure Taylor said is in line with the top Division I-AA programs like the University of Montana.

The highest paid I-AA head coach is believed to be Pete Richardson of Southern University (La.), who recently signed an extension of his contract for $200,000 per year with incentives of another $40,000. The latter includes items like graduation rates, Division I-AA rankings and conference standing.

His record in his 12 years at Southern is 105-38.

His contract, however, is nothing compared to the top level of Division I-A. Florida State's Bobby Bowden, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and Florida's Urban Meyer all have deals at $2 million or more. The general contract for the next tier of programs is between $1.5 million and $2 million.

University of Minnesota head coach Glenn Mason is paid $300,000 base salary with incentives that could make the deal worth between $1.5 million and $2 million annually, according to SI.com. His six-year contract expires in December, 2006.

Bohl's five-year contract that he signed in February of 2003 is close enough to an expiration date that Taylor is starting to think about an extension. For recruiting purposes, coaches are not fond of having two years or less on their contract with no talk of adding to it.

"I'm sure we'll sit down and have a conversation pretty soon," Taylor said.

Money does not appear to be Bohl's motivation for being at NDSU, however. After being let go as the defensive coordinator at the University of Nebraska after the 2002 season, he had opportunities to perhaps at least double his current salary at other places. He was offered a position at Stanford University.

"I could have gone to Stanford but that's not my primary factor," he said.

When asked about Kill's big boost in salary, Bohl said the biggest thing he's looking for is an across-the-board commitment to the program by the administration.

"To put this program on track to win a national championship," he said. "As long as that's in place, I'm excited about being here."

The salary commitment to the football program started before Taylor arrived. Former athletic director Bob Entzion hiked then head coach Bob Babich's salary from $63,239 in 1999 to $87,000 in two years.

Babich worked under a three-year contract. When Bohl was hired, Taylor signed him to a five-year contract to show a commitment based on the school's five-year reclassification to Division I.

Bohl also has an annuity that is externally supplemented, Taylor said.

Re: D-1AA HEAD COACH SALARIES

Part two of the Fargo Forum Article

Subscribe Today Sunday, April 17, 2005

Those are the kind of resources a school like Southern Utah does not enjoy.

Head coach Wes Meier makes $72,000 annually. This winter, Meier hired four assistants who all graduated from college in the last three years. Younger coaches tend to be cheaper to employ.

"We can do as well as we can do," said Southern Utah athletic director Thomas Douple. "You try and hire good people where salary isn't the over-riding issue but, yes, we definitely need to get it up."

It's possible that the total salaries of the Thunderbird assistant coaches are in the ballpark of Kill's salary at Southern Illinois.

Don't expect NDSU, however, to keep that kind of pace. Taylor said $165,000 seems out of reach - for now anyway. He's not sure about other Gateway Football Conference schools, of which Southern Illinois is a member.

"I think that's going to cause some issues within their league," Taylor said. "That is a high salary for I-AA football coaches. I guarantee you coaches in that league will come knocking on the door."

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546

Comment

He was an assistant at Pitt St. (Kansas), then a head coach at Saginaw Valley State (GLIAC DII), and then a head coach at Emporia State(MIAA DII), before getting the position at Southern Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
        Jerry Kill the head coach at Southern Illinois University received an unbelivable salary increase.  Coach Kill at one time coached in D2 MIAA conference, not sure which school, but I believe Emporia State.

Here is Jeff Kolpeck's article
        Sunday, April 17, 2005

Coaching salary bar raised with Kill's contract
        By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
        Published Sunday, April 17, 2005

Take away Kill's salary and the average of the other nine opponents is $86,469. Northern Colorado's Kay Dalton - who has publicly complained about UNC's lack of financial prowess - is the lowest paid at $65,000.

"We do have some work to do," said Ken McConnellogue, Northern Colorado vice president for university advancement.

"It's one of the primary issues we're facing right now," McConnellogue said. "We don't want to be a weigh station for people just passing through because the salaries are so low. It's important we keep good people."
        Ouch! That really needs to change. I am glad we are working on it though. Bear Down!

Comment

Working...
        X