• Show
Clear All

• Minnesota wants the Jacks!

Highlights from a Star Trib. story:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5377928.html

U football: Maturi sees good use for extra game

Dennis Brackin,  Star Tribune
    April 30, 2005

Move over, Wisconsin and Iowa Big Ten fans. The neighborhood rivalries for the Gophers football team could soon include Division I-AA programs from the Dakotas, Iowa and Montana.

That's the likely result of Thursday's move by the NCAA board of directors to add a 12th game starting in 2006 for Division I-A programs -- the highest NCAA football classification. The key scheduling component is that starting this season, Division I-A programs will be able to count one game each season against I-AA schools toward their bowl eligibility. Before this season the large schools could count a victory over a I-AA program toward bowl eligibility only once every four years.

The likelihood is that starting next season, the Gophers will be playing a home game each season against a Division I-AA program. Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi said his preference is to bring in regional I-AA schools, and he classifies four in that category: North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and Montana State.

"I think it's good for them and good for us," Maturi said. "I would not be opposed to thinking of a rotation of those four, and not even look at other I-AA's
    ."

Minnesota's athletic coffers figure to gain an additional $500,000 annually with a 12th football game, Maturi said.  .  . .

Division I-AA programs figure to get a guarantee of at least $250,000 to play BCS schools, such as Minnesota, and between $150,000 and $200,000 to play mid-level I-A programs.

"It's tremendous," NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor of the 12th game. "It's going to make it easier, I think, to find that I-A guarantee opportunity, because they can now play a I-AA program every year. Before [the I-A schools] were able to pick and choose who they played."

Maturi has already had preliminary talks with most of the ADs from the nearby I-AA schools.

Montana State AD Peter Fields said Friday that he's been trying to get a game against Minnesota for several years, but the dates haven't matched up. Montana State has not shied away from the big schools, scheduling Oklahoma State this season and Colorado next year.

"We'd be very interested in Minnesota," Fields said. "We have a number of alumni in the [Twin Cities] area, and it allows our student-atheletes to play in an environment that's fun to play in." Plus, he noted, it's a financial boon to Division I-AA programs.  .  .  .

Maturi acknowledges that the move was driven by finances. He said he respects dissenting opinions on the subject but calls it "the reality of things."

He said his yearly goal in nonconference play will be to schedule one BCS opponent, one mid-level Division I game, one buy game (no return game at the opponent's field) and one Division I-AA game.

He'll have no trouble selling that to area I-AA officials. NDSU's Taylor already has a sales pitch for his program.

"We have 15,000 alumni in the Twin Cities, and we'll bring 5,000 fans down for a game from Fargo," Taylor said. "[Playing at Minnesota] will be our first effort [in scheduling a I-A team], without question."

Go State!  ;D

Re: Minnesota wants the Jacks!

8) 8)

Could this be reason for SDSU to expediate their financial aid funding for football?

Isn't SDSU current plan to be at 42 grants this year, and add four a year? If that's the case, it would be 2012 before SDSU would count towards bowl eligibility. :-/

It will be great to see the Dakota States playing the Gophers in football, along with basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, etc. etc. on a routine basis. ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
      8) 8)

Could this be reason for SDSU to expediate their financial aid funding for football?

Isn't SDSU current plan to be at 42 grants this year, and add four a year? If that's the case, it would be 2012 before SDSU would count towards bowl eligibility.  :-/

It will be great to see the Dakota States playing the Gophers in football, along with basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling, etc. etc. on a routine basis.  ;D ;D ;D
      I believe the plan is to be fully funded (63) by 2008 or 2009. With an exception being if a potential conference stipulates that we need to be fully funded before admittance into that conference. Then we would make the jump to 63 immediately.

Comment

With the recent change, do we still need to average 63 scholarships over a three year period to count as a bowl eligible opponent for the Gophers?

If we do have to have the 63 scholarships, does anyone see us increasing up to 63 sooner to be able to play the Gophers?

Comment

Having the opportunity to play a I-A, and receive the payday that comes with it, every year may make us re-think our time table (pure speculation).

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
            With the recent change, do we still need to average 63 scholarships over a three year period to count as a bowl eligible opponent for the Gophers?

If we do have to have the 63 scholarships, does anyone see us increasing up to 63 sooner to be able to play the Gophers?
            It's an average of 60 grants over the three preceeding years to count for bowl eligibility. That's why I was wondering-
            This is what it would work out to be-
            2005-42
            2006-46
            2007-50
            2008-58
            2009-62

So there you have 2007, 2008, 2009 average to be 56.6. Even if SDSU funds the full 63 in 2009, it still wouldn't be the required 60.

Let's try 2008, 2009, and 2010 (at the full 63)- That would average out to be 61, so a game could count in the 2011 season. Whoops, looks like my math was off in my prior post by a year. :-[

Get those checkbooks out Jacks fans!!!!

I have not seen anything that changed about the required grant levels to count as a bowl eligible game, and I doubt there would be. A I-A school could schedule a I-AA tomato can and have it count if it was changed. I don't think that would be in the best interest of I-AA or I-A. :-/

Comment

I agree that it is time to get the SDSU football team to 63 scholarships as soon as possible.  I know that may make us incompliant for a few years with Title IX, but the chance to make $250k for a game vs. Division IA teams like the Gophers is source of revenue that is a tremendous.  

I would think we would want to set our football team on an ongoing schedule to play the UofM is too good an opportunity and we cannot afford to pass on it.  This is the type of university SDSU is preaching to its constituents as our peer.  It will also pay dividends for the athletic program as a whole.  The University of Minnesota is willing to mail us the Check, we better be willing to accept and cash it.
              I would hope that a change in philosophy by the administration would not hinder the campaign to raise $20 million to endow scholarships.  It shows the commitment needed to compete at a national level for all sports teams, both men and women.
              We...ARE...STATE!
              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Hmmmmm...... Looks like SDSU might be able to get a game to be bowl eligible if they can present that they are a "unique case", as far as averaging 60 grants over the three preceeding years (if reclassification counts). I would to guess that the NCAA would want SDSU at or above 60 grants, but maybe they would approve it if SDSU funds something around 55 in 2006, and 60+ in 2007.

30.9.2.2 Exception—Division I-AA Opponent. [I-A] Once every four years, a Division I-A institution
                may count one victory against a Division I-AA opponent toward the six-win minimum, provided
                the Division I-AA opponent has averaged 60 financial aid equivalencies in football during the
                three preceding academic years. (Adopted: 10/28/97 effective 8/1/98 )
                30.9.2.2.1 Waiver. [I-A] The Football Issues Committee may approve a waiver of the 60-
                equivalency requirement to permit a Division I-A institution, once every four years, to count a
                victory against a Division I-AA opponent in the sport of football toward meeting the six-victory
                requirement when a unique or catastrophic situation affects the Division I-AA institution’s
                ability to average 60 equivalencies during the three preceding academic years.
                (Adopted:
                8/11/98 )

Comment

Since the Minnesota AD is speaking in generalities about a rotation, its just that. When SDSU would fit in the rotation is also not itched in stone either. No doubt NCAA rules will apply to Minnesota as to any other institution. I am just grateful that SDSU is mentioned.

I really am not worried about SDSU's transition period as the goal is to maintain all 20 sports and add others and not necessary appear in a bowl game by 2020 or earlier. We want a competitive football program, but first things first.

We have a plan in place and its being followed so I dont think we have to panic about what year we appear on the Minnesota football schedule.

Comment

How many Jacks fans do we envision would attend an away game against the Gophers. I would think the # of Jacks fans would more than offset the $250,000 payout. Minnesota historically does not draw well for their non-conference games so this is a win/win for them. How many SDSU alumni in the Twin Cities area?

Comment

GOPHER FOOTBALL FUTURE SCHEDULES
                      http://www.gophersports.com/releases...llSchedule.pdf
                      Sept. 1 at Tulsa (Thurs.)
                      Sept. 10 COLORADO STATE
                      Sept. 17 FLORIDA ATLANTIC
                      Sept. 24 PURDUE
                      Oct. 1 at Penn State
                      Oct. 8 at Michigan
                      Oct. 15 WISCONSIN
                      Oct. 29 OHIO STATE