• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 I-AA Schedules Pose Challenges/Sports Network

Extra Point - 2005 I-AA Schedules Pose Challenges
    By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AGN3877979.htm

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - If there was ever any doubt about which rulings would pass at the April 28th NCAA Board of Directors meeting, just take one look at this year’s I-AA non-conference schedules.

Last week, the official decisions came down regarding I-A teams facing I-AA competition. The "one-in-four" rule, where I-A teams were only allowed to count a win against a I-AA opponent for bowl eligibility once every four years, was officially rescinded.

Marginal I-A bowl teams like Kansas expected this change and didn’t steer clear from scheduling an opponent from the sub-classification. As a result, I-AA teams will play 52 games against non-transition I-A competition compared to 45 a year ago. Six I-AA teams play more than one game against a I-A, and the entire Big Sky and all but one Southland team takes on a I-A opponent. Beginning next year, when I-A teams have the option to schedule 12 regular season games, expect the totals to ascend even higher.

To make things even more interesting, the 2005 season brings intriguing non- conference games. Cal Poly takes on the top three teams in the Big Sky. UC Davis hosts New Hampshire and visits Eastern Washington and Stephen F. Austin. Lehigh goes to Delaware and Harvard, and Montana State plays three tough I-AA opponents. Coastal Carolina brings the biggest improvement in schedule strength. The Chanticleers cracked the top 25 and finished 10-1 a year ago, but played a schedule most high school teams in Texas could conquer. With James Madison and Appalachian State on this year’s September slate, we’ll find out quickly if the Big South’s best is for real.

So will a tough start put some teams in playoff trouble in September? You better believe it will, but at least the fans and those of us in the media can enjoy competitive non-conference games in the season's first month.

05/03 14:24:14 ET

I-AA’s most difficult non-conference schedules

Below is a look at some of the toughest and easiest schedules of 2005, I-AA teams with a shot at knocking off a BCS opponent, and other schedule tidbits:

The Toughest: I-AA’s most difficult non-conference schedules in 2005:

1. Appalachian State (@ Eastern Kentucky 9/3, @ Kansas 9/10, Coastal Carolina 9/17, @ LSU 11/5) - The Mountaineers’ dropped a home game with Northwestern State for the visit to LSU, and could see any at-large playoff hopes dashed by a pair of trips to I-A bowl teams. Eastern Kentucky and Coastal Carolina provide tough tests in I-AA games.

2. UC Davis (New Hampshire 9/3, @ Portland State 9/10, @ Stanford 9/17, @ Sacramento State 9/24, @ Stephen F. Austin 11/5, @ Eastern Washington 11/19) - The Aggies don’t become playoff eligible until 2007, but they get a sneak peek of the competition with at least three playoff-caliber teams and a BCS level I- A on the slate.

3. Portland State (@ Oregon State 9/3, @ UC Davis 9/10, Northern Colorado 9/24, @ Boise State 10/8) - The Vikings take on two potential I-A top 25 teams, and the visit to UC Davis is no cakewalk.

4. Cal Poly (@ Troy 9/3, Sacramento State 9/10, Montana State 9/17, @ Montana 10/22, Eastern Washington 11/5) - With the addition of trips to Montana and Troy to games with Montana State and Eastern Washington, the Mustangs should assure a playoff berth if they finish 9-2 again.

5. Montana State (@ Oklahoma State 9/3, Stephen F. Austin 9/10, @ Cal Poly 9/17, North Dakota State 9/24) - The Bobcats will have a tough task to unseat Montana and Eastern Washington in the Big Sky, so at least a 2-2 start against a I-A bowl team and three I-AA’s that reached the top 25 last year could be necessary come November.

6. The Citadel (Charleston Southern 9/3, @ Florida State 9/10, @ Mississippi 10/8, VMI 11/19) - At least the Bulldogs scheduled winnable non-conference I-AA games, because the two I-A matchups are bound to get ugly quick.

7. Eastern Kentucky (Appalachian State 9/3, @ Western Kentucky 9/10, @ NC State 9/17) - The Colonels went 0-3 against nearly the same schedule last year, with the only change being a visit to NC State instead of Vanderbilt.

8. Sam Houston State (Bacone 9/3, @ Houston 9/10, @ Texas Tech 9/17, SW Missouri State 9/24,Northern Colorado 11/12) - The Bearkats play one non- Division I team and two winnable I-AA games, but a pair of games against in- state I-A teams is a nice jump after facing a pair of lower-level teams a year ago.

9. Northwestern State (@ UL Monroe 9/3, North Dakota State 9/10, @ UL Lafayette 9/17, Texas Southern 9/24, Northeastern 10/29) - The Sun Belt weaklings aren’t the most difficult I-A games, but a pair of road trips and a visit from North Dakota State will provide an early test.

10. Villanova (@ Rutgers 9/10, @ Penn 9/24, @ Bucknell 10/15) - With three challenging road games in addition to the Atlantic 10 schedule, the Wildcats won’t have a chance to relax all season.

11. Western Kentucky (West Virginia Tech 9/1, Eastern Kentucky 9/10, @ Auburn 9/24, @ Florida International 11/19) - West Virginia Tech should remind Hilltoppers’ fans of Cheyney, but the remainder of the slate is tough with trips to Auburn and Florida International.

12. McNeese State (@ Southern 9/3, @ Georgia Southern 9/10, @ Southern Mississippi 9/17, NW Oklahoma 9/24, Southern Utah 10/1) - The three-game road trip to open the season will show how far the young Cowboys have improved from last year’s 4-7 finish.

13. Nicholls State (@ Utah State 9/3, @ Indiana 9/10, Cheyney 9/17, Western Carolina 9/24, @ North Dakota State 10/1) - Taking on beleaguered Cheyney brings the Colonels down a notch, but two I-A games and a pair of challenging I-AA matchups keeps Nicholls State in the top 15.

14. Southeast Missouri State (Southern Illinois 9/1, @ Kent State 9/10, @ SW Missouri State 9/17) - Two Gateway opponents and a I-A trip could lead to another slow start for the Redhawks.

15. VMI (Davidson 9/3, William & Mary 9/10, @ Duke 9/17, Lehigh 9/24, @ Wofford 10/15, @ Richmond 11/5, The Citadel 11/19) - The season opener and finale should be competitive, but a I-A and two I-AA playoff teams loom in the middle.

Comment

I-AA teams that shouldn’t have too sweat too hard

Below is a look at some of the toughest and easiest schedules of 2005, I-AA teams with a shot at knocking off a BCS opponent, and other schedule tidbits:

The Lightest - I-AA teams that shouldn’t have too sweat too hard in non- conference games:

1. Charleston Southern (@ The Citadel 9/3, Presbyterian 9/10, Jacksonville 9/17, Howard 10/1, @ North Greenville 10/15, @ Savannah State 10/22, @ Austin Peay 10/29) - Granted, the Buccaneers aren’t the most competitive team out there. But they could still do much better than two Division II’s and two Mid- Major opponents on the schedule.

2. Georgetown (Brown 9/17, @ Stony Brook 9/24, Duquesne 10/8, @ Cornell 10/15, Davidson 11/2) - The Hoyas history of Mid-Major competition continues with three on the 2005 slate.

3. Northern Colorado (Colorado Mines 9/3, @ Western Illinois 9/10, Southeastern Louisiana 9/17, @ Portland State 9/24, Fort Lewis 10/29, Sam Houston State 11/12)- The Bears take on some challenging I-AA teams, but not enough to make up for a pair of Division II games.

4. Howard (Winston-Salem 9/3, @ Savannah State 9/24, @ Charleston Southern 10/1) - The Bison better hold a 3-0 record in non-conference games with this selection of games.

5. Norfolk State (Virginia State 9/3, @ Savannah State 10/1, Liberty 11/19) - The Spartans improved on last year’s nine-game schedule. Maybe next year they’ll take a step up on who they play.

6. South Dakota State (UW-Lacrosse 9/3, Valparaiso 9/10, @ Montana 9/17, @ Texas State 10/1, Missouri Rolla 10/22, Georgia Southern 10/22)- The Jackrabbits do take on I-AA’s two biggest names, but could have done better than a pair of DII teams and a Mid-Major to fill out the remaining games.

7. Delaware (Lehigh 9/10, West Chester 9/17, Holy Cross 9/24)- Lehigh will challenge the Blue Hens, but there isn’t a I-A game or road trip to make up for weak matchups with West Chester and Holy Cross.

8. Texas State (Delta State 9/3, Southern Utah 9/10, @ Texas A & M 9/24, South Dakota State 10/1, Panhandle State 10/15)- A trip to Texas A & M gives the Bobcats a challenge, but two Division II opponents could make a playoff berth a tough proposition for a team looking at its best roster in years.

9. Hofstra (@ Albany 9/10, Stony Brook 9/17, @ Furman 9/24)- Hofstra can’t be too proud to take on a pair of Mid-Major teams for the second year in a row.

10. James Madison (Lock Haven 9/3, @ Coastal Carolina 9/10, Delaware State 9/17)- The defending champions have trips to Massachusetts, Delaware and William & Mary in Atlantic 10 play, so they can be excused for a less than exhilarating non-conference slate.

Comment

Beating the Big Boys -

Beating the Big Boys - The formula for knocking off a BCS-level opponent usually includes an Atlantic 10 team and weak Big East squad. New Hampshire knocked off Rutgers in 2004 after Villanova defeated Temple and Rutgers in the previous two seasons. The Wildcats get another shot at the Scarlet Knights in 2005 and have a realistic chance of adding another win to the list.

1. Villanova at Rutgers (9/10) - Villanova did absorb some losses on both sides of the ball, but should Rutgers really even qualify as a BCS team?

2. UC Davis at Stanford (9/17) - The Cardinal bottomed out with five losses to end 2004 and saw six players go in the NFL draft.

3. Richmond at Vanderbilt (9/24) - The Spiders should improve in Dave Clawson’s second year, and the Commodores had a scare from Eastern Kentucky during a 2-9 campaign a year ago.

4. Montana at Oregon (9/10) - The Grizzlies return plenty of talent on defense, and the Ducks sputtered at the end of last year’s 5-6 season.

5. Nicholls State at Indiana (9/10) - The Colonels’ running game gave Eastern Washington and Northwestern State fits last year, and football isn’t exactly the sport of choice in Hoosier land.

Big-Time Mismatches - I-AA vs I-A games that don’t figure to come down to the wire in 2005: At least the check will still roll in.

1. The Citadel at Florida State (9/10) - The Seminoles might be removed from their late 90s dominance, but not so far that The Citadel will be in this one after halftime.

2. Texas Southern at UTEP (11/12) - The Miners improved by leaps and bounds under Mike Price. That’s bad news for the usually weak Tigers.

3. Appalachian State at LSU (11/5) - If this game was earlier in the season, the Mountaineers might be able to hang for a half. In November, the Tigers will be in full steam and the final could be ugly.

4. Youngstown State at Pittsburgh (9/24) - Furman challenged the Panthers last season, but quarterback Tyler Palko has the makings of a star and the Penguins defense will have a tough time keeping up.

5. Weber State at Fresno State (9/10) - The Bulldogs won their last six in 2004 and should be a top 25 team, which could result in a long first road trip for Weber State head coach Ron McBride.

"Upset" Possibilities - Some I-AA teams should be thinking about the "W" when they visit a less than stellar I-A opponent.

1. Southern Illinois at Western Michigan (9/17) - The Salukis’ high-octane offense takes on a Bronco defense that allowed nearly 40 points per game a year ago.

2. Northwestern State at UL Monroe and UL Lafayette (9/3 and 9/17) - The Demons made some costly mistakes in last season’s loss to UL Lafayette, but outplayed the Cajuns throughout. NSU has enough talent to compete with both of its in- state Sun Belt foes.

3. Eastern Washington at San Jose State (9/3) - The dynamic Eagles’ offense gets to wet its chops against a San Jose State defense that allowed 34 points or more nine times in 2004.

4. Massachusetts at Army (11/12) - The Minutemen bring back most of their starters on both sides of the ball, and Army is coming off an atrocious 2-9 campaign.

5. Sam Houston State at Houston (9/10) - The Bearkats don’t have the same offensive firepower as a year ago, but should have enough to seriously challenge Houston.

DII Nightmares - I-AA fans always look to knock off the big boys, but some teams need to be wary of difficult Division II opponents.

1.Central Arkansas at Tennessee-Martin (9/1) - The Skyhawks show signs of improvement, but they’re still one of the most downtrodden teams in I-AA and will have their hands full with Central Arkansas.

2. Albany State vs Southern (9/24) - Southern should be among the SWAC elite again, but face one of the best teams in Division II when Albany State comes in.

3. Tuskegee vs Alabama State (9/24) - Tuskegee knocked off the Hornets a year ago, and the rivalry game will always be a hard-fought battle.

4. Colorado Mines at Northern Colorado (9/3) - Colorado Mines lost its quarterback from last year’s 12-1 squad, but returns enough talent to give the Bears trouble in the opener.

5. Delta State at Texas State (9/3) - Texas State holds the edge in overall skill, but the defense will have its hands full with a Delta State team that averaged 44 points per game in 2004.

Comment

Best I-AA vs I-AA non-conference matchups -

Best I-AA vs I-AA non-conference matchups - While many programs take on a I-A or Division II team early on, some high-level I-AA programs will face each other in games that could impact the playoff picture in November.

1. Coastal Carolina vs James Madison (9/10), Coastal Carolina at Appalachian State (9/17) - These might not end up being the closest games, but at least we’ll get to find out right away if the Chanticleers are for real or a product of last year’s schedule.

2. Cal Poly at Montana (10/22) - If the Mustangs approach last year’s success, they’ll need a statement win to have a shot at a playoff berth.

3. New Hampshire at UC Davis (9/3) - The Wildcats have all the ingredients of a national championship contender, but can they match last year’s road success on a cross-country trip?

4. Lehigh at Harvard (10/1) - The Crimson figures to carry a 13-game winning streak into the home date with the dangerous Mountain Hawks.

5. McNeese State at Georgia Southern (9/10) - The Cowboys might not be all the way back from last year’s struggles, but they should be improved and get a chance to show it at Paulson Stadium.

6. Furman at Jacksonville State (9/1) - There’s no question the Gamecocks are the class of the Ohio Valley Conference. But they could earn themselves, and the whole league, some needed respect by gaining revenge on Furman for last year’s playoff blowout.

7. Lehigh at Delaware (9/10) - The Mountain Hawks can score a big win for themselves and the Patriot League by conquering the Blue Hens in Delaware. Lehigh will have the advantage of playing its second game, while Delaware takes the field for the first time.

8. Stephen F. Austin at Montana State (9/10) - With a competitive slate of teams in both the Southland and Big Sky, both potential playoff contenders could use a win in this early season non-conference battle.

9. Eastern Kentucky at Western Kentucky (9/10) - In another attempt for the OVC to gain some credibility, Eastern Kentucky tries to earn some payback against its in-state rival.

10. South Carolina State vs Alabama State (9/3) - The best MEAC-SWAC matchup of the year pits contenders for the crown in each conference.

Comment

Re: 2005 I-AA Schedules Pose Challenges/Sports Net

Well, in the abstract I'd have preferred us to find another I-AA game rather than UW-LaCrosse or Rolla, but it is what it is.

Hopefully we'll only have one lower division team in '06 to start the season, and a full D-I slate thereafter.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I disagree with the writer (Matt Dougherty), even with UW-LaCrosse and Rolla we have a very tough schedule. We have two top 5 teams plus two teams who were in the finial polls (Mont., GSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly) plus Cal Davis was ranked most of season. Add SUU, UNC, and Texas State who are very soild football programs. That schedule is a plate-full and will take a big guy to eat it.

To judge a schedule can't just look at the our of non-confrence games, you also have to look at the confrence schedule too.

I too wish the UNI game would have worked out or we could have scheduled another DI team, but it is what it is. Our job now is to beat who is on the schedule and not to overlook anyone. It is sometimes easier to play a harder schedule than to play teams your suppose to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Dakota
                I disagree with the writer (Matt Dougherty), even with UW-LaCrosse and Rolla we have a very tough schedule. We have two top 5 teams plus two teams who were in the finial polls (Mont., GSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly) plus Cal Davis was ranked most of season. Add SUU, UNC, and Texas State who are very soild football programs. That schedule is a plate-full and will take a big guy to eat it.

To judge a schedule can't just look at the our of non-confrence games, you also have to look at the confrence schedule too.

I too wish the UNI game would have worked out or we could have scheduled another DI team, but it is what it is. Our job now is to beat who is on the schedule and not to overlook anyone. It is sometimes easier to play a harder schedule than to play teams your suppose to beat.
                LaCrosse might be a pretty good D-III team (they beat Duluth and lost by one to S. Dakota, and won in the first round of the D-III playoffs), but Rolla had struggled in the tough D-II MIAA and recently dropped out of that conference.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  LaCrosse might be a pretty good D-III team (they beat Duluth and lost by one to S. Dakota, and won in the first round of the D-III playoffs), but Rolla had struggled in the tough D-II MIAA and recently dropped out of that conference.
                  Saying UMR struggled in the MIAA is a slight understatement. A total of two conference wins in the last five years. :-/

Comment

Working...
                  X