Against all odds - Adam Timmerman story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Against all odds - Adam Timmerman story

Here is a link to some highlight of a St. Louis Post-Dispatch story (via the Mercury News):

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/11633912.htm

Against all odds, Rams' Timmerman has stayed healthy

BY BILL COATS

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ST. LOUIS - (KRT) - Adam Timmerman realizes that he's already beaten the odds. Many times over.

In a profession in which the average career lasts less than four years, Timmerman is preparing for his 11th NFL season.

He has played four seasons for Green Bay and the last six for the Rams. Timmerman, a guard, has played in four Super Bowls, made two Pro Bowls, earned millions of dollars and will qualify for a hefty pension.

Not bad for a seventh-round draft choice from South Dakota State who grew up in tiny Cherokee, Iowa.

Moreover, Timmerman has remained remarkably injury-free, particularly for an offensive lineman. He has a streak of 157 regular-season starts.

Still, Timmerman can't help but wonder if time, and the pounding of the NFL, finally is catching up to him. He needed just two minor surgeries during his first 10 years, arthroscopic procedures on an elbow and a knee. But Timmerman, who will turn 34 in August, needed three operations after last season: both shoulders and a foot.

"It's weird," he said.

He declined knee surgery.

"I feel a little something in there," he said. "But I really didn't want to have one more (surgery)."

Taking it easy

So instead of pumping iron and pounding roads to keep his conditioning up, Timmerman is focusing on rehabbing his 6-foot-4, 310-pound body.

Timmerman won't participate in the full-squad minicamp June 3-5. His goal is to be on the Rams Park fields when two-a-day practices begin in late July.

"That's kind of what we're shooting for, to be reasonably ready to do football stuff when it comes time for training camp," Timmerman said. "My foot doctor is kind of like, `Well, we'd like to maybe just make that one-a-days. We don't want to pound on it right away.' So it might be kind of phasing in at training camp, which would be OK, too."

While Timmerman's immediate objective is clear, to be in shape to make his 158th start in a row on Sept. 11 in San Francisco, his long-term outlook is murkier. He conceded that the recent spate of surgeries has heightened his concern about the effects of slamming into 300-pound opponents some 70 times per game over more than a decade and how that will affect him in the future.

"I thought about stuff like that more this year than ever," he said. "I really hadn't considered it. I was thinking to myself all along, `Hey, if I blow out a knee or something, my career would be over.' But I never really saw far enough ahead to think that things are just going to wear out. And I'm definitely starting to see some of that go on." . . .

Frightening future

"If you go to a retired players' convention, there are older retirees who walk around like Maryland crabs," Miki Yaras-Davis, director of benefits for the players association, said in an interview with Sports Illustrated. "It's an orthopedic surgeon's dream. I'm surprised the doctors aren't standing outside the door handing out their cards. ... Everybody comes out of pro football with some injury. It's only the degree that separates them."

It's a frightening prognosis, Timmerman acknowledged.

"I wish you could just look into a crystal ball and know how much this stuff's going to affect you when you're 50 years old," he said. "I want to be able to at least coach my son or something like that.

"You don't want to leave with nothing left."

Re: Against all odds - Adam Timmerman story

Again, I ask, Hall of Fame??

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
      Again, I ask, Hall of Fame??
      I'm not sure he makes the Hall. He's been a solid guard for two super bowl winning teams. He's very durable and probably one of the top 10 guards in the league most years. However, only 2 pro bowls seems to suggest that he hasn't been one of the best at his position for most of his career. One of the better, definitely. One of the best, I'm not sure. We'll see.

I say this hoping that I'm wrong and missing something because Timmerman has done wonders for SDSU. He's especially done wonders for the credibility of SDSU athletes who are looking for a shot at the NFL. He was also very good to the freshmen linebackers during practice. He could have routinely destroyed me and my fellow 190 pound linebackers, but he would do just enough to make sure you were blocked, but not destroyed.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I'd be interested in Catch-em-All's take on Timmerman. Catch-em and Timmerman shared more time on the field than I did.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I think it's also important to look at the RB's and QB's he's been blocking for. He has blocked for six NFL MVPs (RB Marshall Faulk in 2000, QB Kurt Warner in 1999 and 2001, and Packers’ QB Brett Favre in 1995, 1996, and 1997). He's also won a couple of Super Bowls.

Comment

Boy, no pressure on this response.

First of all, in college there was no better teammate than T. He was a true leader on our team and made us all better. That's why he was team captain twice and team MVP his senior year. Whenever my All American staus comes up I always give credit to Adam because I truly believe I couldn't have done what I did on the field without his help. I also believe he could have played at any level of NCAA football and been successful. By his last year he was just that good. Ask anyone who played against him, including our defensive teammates.

Is he HOF material. Of course we're biased because he's one of us, but I don't know. Take a look at the Offensive Lineman in the HOF http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.jsp:
            Modern Era: Offensive Linemen (31)

Chuck Bednarik (C-LB) 1949-1962
            Bob (Boomer) Brown (T) 1964-1973
            Roosevelt Brown (T) 1953-1965
            Lou Creekmur (T-G) 1950-1959
            Joe DeLamielleure (G) 1973-1985
            Dan Dierdorf (T) 1971-1983
            Frank Gatski (C) 1946-1957
            Forrest Gregg (T-G) 1956, 1958-1971
            Lou Groza (T) (Also PK) 1946-1959, 1961-1967
            John Hannah (G) 1973-1985
            Stan Jones (T-G, also DT) 1954-1966
            Jim Langer (C) 1970-1981
            Larry Little (G) 1967-1980
            Tom Mack (G) 1966-1978
            Mike McCormack (T) 1951, 1954-1962
            Ron Mix (T) 1960-1969, 1971
            Mike Munchak (G) 1982-1993
            Anthony Muñoz (T) 1980-1992
            Jim Otto (C) 1960-1974
            Jim Parker (G-T) 1957-1967
            Jim Ringo (C) 1953-1967
            Billy Shaw (G) 1961-1969
            Art Shell (T) 1968-1982
            Jackie Slater (T) 1976-1995
            Bob St. Clair (T) 1953-1963
            Dwight Stephenson (C) 1980-1987
            Gene Upshaw (G) 1967-1981
            Mike Webster (C) 1974-1990
            Ron Yary (T) 1968-1982

There are only 31, and most of them are names you would recognize if someone mentioned it. Is Adam one of the top 31 best lineman of all time, can't say that he is. Is he one of the top 30 in the NFL right now, that would be up for debate. He has accomplished many things in his career, but has done it in true Timmerman fashion, quietly and without much public fanfare. If you polled the HOF voters today they would probably say that T is a very good lineman for his era, but he may not stack up to those that are already in the HOF, and that would be a true test of his HOF worthiness. He's good, but not quite great enough.

I'll start a new thread on the other Adam's place in NFL lore.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

excellent points. Something I didn't think about. You put those type of numbers out there and you can make a pretty compelling argument. Another thing that may be against him is his position. If Timmerman played left Tackle for the past 10 years, we'd have heard alot more about him. In the anonymous position of O-line, only the Tackles really get much press. Guards are buried between the Center and the Tackles. They probably get the least amount of press amongst an already starved position.

Comment

Why not Timmerman for the HOF. Try to name other great guards in the NFL right now. I think with all of the Super Bowls, Pro Bowls and consistant play, he's as good a pick as any. I hope he gets in some day.

Bisondad

Comment

I know we all know this but it's worth saying again:

Adam would not be the first SDSU offensive lineman in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I hope he becomes the second after he completes his remarkable career.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                  X