Adam Vinatieri - Hall of Famer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Vinatieri - Hall of Famer??

This was debated on KFAN here in the Twin Cities during Super Bowl week. All bias aside (since he's an SDSU grad), would you vote Vinny into the HOF. Right now there is only one kicker http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.jsp, and that is Jan Stenerud. The conclusion reached by the "experts" on KFAN was that if Adam can sustain the success he's had for another decade then the debate can begin. Stenerud kicked for 19 years without ever missing a game. I think for a kicker longevity is key. Granted, Adam has hit arguably the biggest kicks in Super Bowl history, but I think he needs to prove he can stay consitent over time.

Thought everyone??
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: Adam Vinatieri - Hall of Famer??

Because of the nature of position in that there is little contact against the opponent except to stop a kick and a punt returner that got past the lineman, I would tend to agree with the experts from KFAN. A skillful kicker should last 20 years.

I am not an NFL expert so dont know much about who the kickers are except Viniteri. Unless Viniteri's skills go south, I would expect him to have 20 years of a career and possibly the HOF. I think that the HOF is still very much a possiblity.

Comment

I say yes because of his Super Bowl/playoff heroics. If he last another 10 years, then it is a no brainer, there wouldn't be any debate, IMHO.

Go State! ;D

Comment

If he never played again, I would say yes. If he plays another 10 years and cannot play at the level he currently plays at, I say no. If he continues for another 10 years at the level he's at, I say yes.

Comment

I'll agree with 89rabbit because of his playoff performances. Isn't the performance of the athlete under pressure situations what determines the greatness of that athlete? Even though a kicker/punter are only on the field for a few plays during the game, if they are the one of the best at their positon, do they not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? I believe Adam's 47 yarder during the heavy snow against, I hate to admit, my favorite team is the greatest kick in recent memory. Without that kick, New England doesnt make it to the Superbowl which prevents a 50 yard fieldgoal and the next greatest kick as the game ends.

If Adam performs well over the next 10 years and with any more playoff heroics, he should be very deserving to be considered for the Hall of Fame.

Comment

I say yes.

It is a very short list of players who, when the game was on the line, have made the play that won the Super Bowl for their teams.

The list of those who have done it twice is much shorter. Adam's on that list.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There's no question Adam makes the Hall. In fact, depending on which players hang it up the same year he does, I wouldn't rule out a first ballot nomination.

I know it doesn't seem very probable being there's only 1 kicker in the Hall, but, when people talk about the Patriots dynasty, Adam is the first name out of their mouth after Tom Brady. In Super Bowl history, only four games have come down to a field goal attempt with time running down. Three of those kicks were good, and Adam made two of them.

It's not very often that the media mention Adam without using the phrase "greatest clutch kicker of all time."

Comment

Working...
              X