X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connot Article--From Eight to Great

FROM EIGHT TO GREAT

By Craig TerBlanche

Growing up in Spencer, Nebraska, a town of only 500 people, makes it very difficult to breakthrough into professional sports, but Amsterdam Admirals safety Scott Connot is out to prove otherwise. Connot started his football journey in the seventh grade and from there went on to play eight-man football at Spencer-Naper High School.

“We had an eight-man team in high school and I did play both ways,” Connot said. “On offense I played quarterback and tailback. On defense I played linebacker and as a defensive back. I didn’t even think about it at the time. It is what we grew up playing. When we watched football on TV it was obviously 11-man and we knew it wasn’t the norm, but it is what we were given so we just played it and had fun with it.”

In high school it was fun, but when it came time to go to college Connot realized he was at a huge disadvantage having only played eight-man football.

“It was pretty tough coming out of high school,” Connot said. “Coming from a small school you don’t have much tape on you. The competition level obviously isn’t as high and they just don’t think you can play 11-man football because you don’t have any experience at it.”

Connot ended up enrolling at South Dakota State, a NCAA Division II school where he was a three-year starter at safety.

“I really liked the program that they had going on there,” he said. “I felt that between the coaching staff and the way I felt about the school it would be a good place for me.”

As a senior, Connot recorded 94 tackles, two interceptions and had nine pass break-ups, earning All-North Central Conference and second-team All-Region honors.

“I had a pretty successful college career,” he said. “Ever since high school I have been an under the radar type of person. I have been pretty consistent, but not a whole lot of hype.”

Coming out of college, Connot knew the NFL was an option, but with his background didn’t think he had a realistic chance.

“I thought it would be a pretty big long shot,” he said. “I knew I had the athletic tools to get there. I just needed to be able to show that in front of some scouts. I worked out hard one spring, tested out in front of them and said, ‘lets see what happens from here.’”

Connot’s workout was impressive as he clocked a 4.48-second 40-yard dash and had a vertical jump of 40 inches.

“It went well,” Connot said with a smile. “I turned some heads with my 40 time and my vertical jump. It helped me out a lot, but I am not going to lie. I have looked at some of the combine results and I was doing just as well, if not better than some of the guys that got drafted. Obviously, I have not played against the talent that they have, so maybe I shouldn’t get looked at as highly as they did, but it shows that I belong.”

After six weeks of competition in Europe, there is no question that Connot belongs. Connot leads the Admirals in tackles with 34 and has five pass deflections, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

“The talent level over here is almost the same caliber as in the NFL,” he said. “Some of the guys just need a little touch up here and a little touch up there. This is a great league and it has been a great experience, especially for me.”

Connot, who is allocated by the Kansas City Chiefs, is hoping his hard work will pay off and be rewarded with a roster spot when he returns home.

“I am hoping to go back and fight for a roster spot with the Chiefs this coming fall,” he said. “I really like Kansas City. I really like Gunther Cunningham, coach Vermeil and the whole organization. I would love to be a part of that squad this coming fall.”

Whether or not Connot makes it with the Chiefs is up to him, but for now he is just happy to be playing football and gaining the necessary experience needed for the next level.

“I am just trying to take advantage of every chance I get to play football,” he said. “This has been a great experience so far. I will keep doing what is asked of me. With hard work and doing what people ask of you that will take you a long way.”

http://www.admirals.nl/english/verha...ottconnot.html
Working...
X