Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on Josh Ranek (from Mitchel Daily Republic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Josh Ranek (from Mitchel Daily Republic)

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/Main...rticleID=13023

By Andy Rennecke, The Daily Republic

OTTAWA - Josh Ranek is preparing for his fourth season with the Ottawa Renegades of the Canadian Football League.

The Tyndall native and South Dakota State graduate has enjoyed incredible success the past two seasons with the Renegades by rushing over 1,000 yards in each season.

Now, with a three-week training camp having just ended for Ottawa, Ranek is preparing for another year in the CFL. The Renegades open up their season next Friday at Edmonton.

“I’m really looking forward to the season and we just broke camp today (Friday),” Ranek told The Daily Republic. “I think our season looks really promising.”

The Renegades haven’t had a winning season since Ranek arrived in town. Last year, Ottawa went 5-13 and the year before it went 7-11.

However, the 5-foot-8, 205-pound Bon Homme High School alum enjoyed his second straight successful season on the field. He had 1,060 yards rushing on 219 carries for a 4.8 yard average with eight touchdowns.

He was also a major threat to catch the ball out of the backfield. He had 59 catches for 613 yards for an 11.4 yard average with two touchdowns.

In 2003, Ranek became the first Ottawa player to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season with 1,122 yards. He also had 11 touchdowns (seven rushing, four receiving), which broke a club record that season.

Ranek thinks he can duplicate the numbers of the past two seasons because of a shorn-up offensive line for Ottawa.

“We have a lot of the core guys back from last year, but now they’re healthy,” he said. “Our starting quarterback is back, too, and we have a revamped defensive system. We have pretty good fans up here who’ve been patient. We still average 20,000 fans per game in a 28,000-seat stadium. So, maybe if we get a few more wins even more fans will come out and watch us.”

Ranek had his best shot to date to make an NFL roster in 2002 when he went to training camp with the Dallas Cowboys. Ranek was injured during camp, though, and was cut. Still, it’s been three years since then and Ranek hasn’t heard a lot of interest from other NFL teams.

“The way things played out in Dallas, as a competitor, I don’t think I was given a legit shot to succeed,” Ranek admitted. “Whether or not I was given a chance or not, I’m still waiting to put the pads on for an NFL team and I’m waiting for that opportunity.

“The million dollar question is whether I’ll get invited to an NFL camp. There just hasn’t been a lot of interest. If I’m meant to play in the CFL for the rest of my career, that’s fine. I love playing up here and I love what I do. I can’t complain.”

After the 2001 season with the Jackrabbits, Ranek didn’t know where his career path would take him. He finished his career at SDSU as the second-leading rusher in Division II history (6,794 yards). Ranek said he was driven by people’s thoughts that a Division II player couldn’t make it professionally.

“I have a belief in my own abilities and I’m not going to let people tell me that I can’t do something,” he said. “That just fires me up. It makes me want to do something that much more and to persevere through adversity.”

Ranek thinks that SDSU’s move to Division I will help get Jacks’ athletes more recognition and the respect they deserve.

“I think it was a great move not only for the university, but for the state of South Dakota,” Ranek said. “It gives the athletes a chance who are looking to play professional sports that much more recognition. At the same time, it gives the athletes more credibility because they’re coming from a Division I school.

“The rap on D-II athletes is that they can’t play at the next level. That’s true to some point. But at the same time, it’s not 100 percent true.”

Ranek, 27, spent the offseason in Minneapolis, where he worked out and spent time at his wife’s sister home chasing after his young niece. His wife, Danielle, is a traveling registered nurse, a job that takes her all around the country. In 2004, the Raneks lived in San Diego where Ranek took a job as a ticket taker at a movie theatre.

This offseason was more family-oriented for Ranek.

“Minneapolis was the city we picked this year to stay and I helped out a lot with my niece. We just wanted to be a little closer to home,” Ranek said. “I worked out and tried to add little things here and there. I just try to let my body tell me where I need to go. The main thing I worked on was speed and trying to just stay healthy.”

Ranek’s main goal this season is to help make the Renegades a winning team and to maybe sneak over the 1,000-yard mark again.

“Getting 1,000 yards is one of my goals, but team goals always come first. Personal goals can take care of themselves.”

Re: Update on Josh Ranek (from Michel Daily Republ

It's always nice to hear news about ol' #30.  I firmly believe he was the best to ever strap on the blue and yellow.  I think it's crazy that he hasn't gotten a shot in the NFL.  I know he is small, but anyone who has been on the field with him will tell you, in his case that doesn't matter.  It just goes to show you that NFL scouts really don't give a crap about character or heart.  They would rather have a big mouth who talks more than he plays.  Very sad....    :-/

Comment

Working...
    X