Realistic Guesses for Next Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic Guesses for Next Season

Since the football thread has grown a little stagnant, anyone want to harbor an opinion on what SDSU's record will be for the '05 season? As in school, please show your work to get full credit.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Re: Realistic Guesses for Next Season

Sept. 3 Wisconsin-La Crosse ROFL- DI-AA vs. DIII- SDSU wins big

Sept. 10 Valparaiso (Ind.) ROFLMAO- DI-AA vs. DIII that calls itself DI-AA. I saw the Bison play them with their stud WR receiver last year, and a mediocre DII NSIC team would mop the floor with them. SDSU wins big

Sept. 17 @Montana As much as I would want a Jackrabbit win to shut up the arrogant Grizzly fans, I don't see it happening at their house- Griz by 10 in a game the Jacks could have won

Sept. 24 Cal Poly CP-SLO loses six starters on defense- they really didn't have an offense last year. Jacks win by 6

Oct. 1 @Texas State Southland bottom-dweller. Jacks win by 13, as long as they stay hydrated

Oct. 8 UC Davis I believe the Aggies were a young team last year- Jacks make for a good game, but fall to the Aggies by 3  

Oct. 22 Missouri-Rolla (Hobo Day) UMR has won a total of 3 games over the last 3 seasons in DII. Jacks biggest win of the year

Oct. 29 Georgia Southern  War Eagle! The cold might slow down GSU, but not enough. GSU by 17

Nov. 5 Southern Utah  they are mediocre- Jacks by 10

Nov. 12 @North Dakota State NDSU exacts revenge for last year. The Dakota Marker doesn't leave the Fargodome. Bison by 6

Nov. 19 *Northern Colorado UNC sans stud WR. SDSU by 14

7-4 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
      Sept. 3 Wisconsin-La Crosse ROFL- DI-AA vs. DIII- SDSU wins big

Sept. 10 Valparaiso (Ind.) ROFLMAO- DI-AA vs. DIII that calls itself DI-AA. I saw the Bison play them with their stud WR receiver last year, and a mediocre DII NSIC team would mop the floor with them. SDSU wins big

Sept. 17 @Montana As much as I would want a Jackrabbit win to shut up the arrogant Grizzly fans, I don't see it happening at their house- Griz by 10 in a game the Jacks could have won

Sept. 24 Cal Poly CP-SLO loses six starters on defense- they really didn't have an offense last year. Jacks win by 6

Oct. 1 @Texas State Southland bottom-dweller. Jacks win by 13, as long as they stay hydrated

Oct. 8 UC Davis I believe the Aggies were a young team last year- Jacks make for a good game, but fall to the Aggies by 3  

Oct. 22 Missouri-Rolla (Hobo Day) UMR has won a total of 3 games over the last 3 seasons in DII. Jacks biggest win of the year

Oct. 29 Georgia Southern  War Eagle! The cold might slow down GSU, but not enough. GSU by 17

Nov. 5 Southern Utah  they are mediocre- Jacks by 10

Nov. 12 @North Dakota State NDSU exacts revenge for last year. The Dakota Marker doesn't leave the Fargodome. Bison by 6

Nov. 19 *Northern Colorado UNC sans stud WR. SDSU by 14

7-4 overall.

Just a bit of editing.

The Jacks team that played UC Davis last year wasn't the same team that played the rest of the year. At home, with the REDEMPTION factor... Jacks pick up a win here.

Going against my own "redemption at home" theory, the newly-energized Jacks D bottles up the power toss and approve funding for a elaborate display case for the Dakota Marker.

UNC didn't represent themselves very well last year. I expect them to rebound. Jacks WIN at home, but not by 14.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks02

Just a bit of editing.

The Jacks team that played UC Davis last year wasn't the same team that played the rest of the year. At home, with the REDEMPTION factor... Jacks pick up a win here.

Going against my own "redemption at home" theory, the newly-energized Jacks D bottles up the power toss and approve funding for a elaborate display case for the Dakota Marker.

UNC didn't represent themselves very well last year. I expect them to rebound. Jacks WIN at home, but not by 14.
        So you're saying SDSU will go 9-2?

Comment

Yeah, I guess that's what I am saying.

Some might say its not realistic, given the turnover at QB and and at defensive coordinator, but...there are SO many home games.

And look at that schedule. It's about as good of a schedule as we can ask for. A couple warm up games at the beginning, then a MAJOR test against the Griz.

Then the Jacks have open up conference play at HOME - granted its against a very sold Cal Poly Program - but, the difference in that game last year was home field. String on another victory down in Texas before coming home to ride a 2 game winning streak into another BIG conference game. Take a break for a bit, then POUND Rolla on Hobo Day.

Then, a "humbling" experience VS Georgia Southern allows for a strong rebound against Southern Utah.

Finish the conference schedule up with the title in sight, with a big RIVAL game to get up for.

Just think the scheudle is set up to let a rather young team get a feel for winning and losing.

And I am huge HOMER.

Comment

I see the season similarly as bisonguy. My only points of contention are the Cal Davis and UNC games. I think Cal Davis will come in to balmy SD with last year's game firmly entrenched in their memories. I think they'll short change us. I see us winning that game to even the all-time series at 2 a piece.

The UNC game scares me. I think alot depends on 1) both teams records heading into that last game and 2) weather conditions. I can't remember the last time the final game of the season at Coughlin didn't involve an icy field. I see it being a really close game that either side could win.

However, I see the season outlook as:

8-3 as a great season
            7-4 as a realistic season
            6-5 as a good season
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
              I see the season similarly as bisonguy.  My only points of contention are the Cal Davis and UNC games.  I think Cal Davis will come in to balmy SD with last year's game firmly entrenched in their memories.  I think they'll short change us.  I see us winning that game to even the all-time series at 2 a piece.  

The UNC game scares me.  I think alot depends on 1) both teams records heading into that last game and 2) weather conditions.  I can't remember the last time the final game of the season at Coughlin didn't involve an icy field.  I see it being a really close game that either side could win.

However, I see the season outlook as:

8-3 as a great season
              7-4 as a realistic season
              6-5 as a good season
              7-4 would be realistic but should not be expected, 8-3 or better would be fantastic.  I think less than 5 wins would be a huge disappointment.  6 wins should be expected.

The 2 lower division games are locks (of course I thought the same about the BB team this year and was proven wrong).  With 6 other home games and Texas St. on the road I can see 6 wins as easily attained.  That said, the 7th win will be a tough one and I don't know who it would be most likely to come against.

I would say Ga Southern will be the toughest game even at home.  Montana on the road as a close 2nd.  Winning in Fargo should never be assumed and isn't expected by me this year.  So, if no upsets occur at home it comes down to Cal-Poly or Cal-Davis as that 7th win and I'm not sure who we have a better shot at.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree with MJA's predictions. (7-4 or 8-3). A NDSU fan not State fan bashed UW-L pretty hard but be careful of the opener against UW-L (typical trap game opponent). I attened a D-III school (St. Johns) that is very strong in football. UW-L like SJU is an upper echelon D-III program that can match up and play with middle to upper level D-II schools. I realize that State is D-IAA but for the next few years until the new recruits start producing the talent level of State is of a middle to upper level D-II program (not intended to be a slam). The Jacks should win by double digits at home but UW-L isn't a slouch (just ask USD). In a few years SD State and ND State will be at the top of the conference (assume status quo in membership). Do you guys get auto bid in fb playoffs by winning the conference? Good luck in your second year of d-I status and hopefully UND and USD will be vying for a GWC title in five to ten years.

Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Sept. 3 Wisconsin-La Crosse ROFL- DI-AA vs. DIII- SDSU
                  should win 1-0

Sept. 10 Valparaiso (Ind.) ROFLMAO- DI-AA vs. DIII that calls itself DI-AA.
                  should win 2-0

Sept. 17 @Montana
                  a loss, I think we should keep it close 2-1

Sept. 24 Cal Poly CP-SLO
                  win a close one, home field edge 3-1

Oct. 1 @Texas State
                  should win, but need to stay focused 4-1

Oct. 8 UC Davis
                  tough close loss in SF, but not like last year 4-2

Oct. 22 Missouri-Rolla (Hobo Day)
                  should win 5-2

Oct. 29 Georgia Southern War Eagle!
                  loss, could keep it close-- bad weather could help in a major upset, but most likely not 5-3

Nov. 5 Southern Utah
                  should win, weather and home field close game 6-3

Nov. 12 @North Dakota State
                  tough to win up north, NDSU comes from behind in the 4th 6-4

Nov. 19 *Northern Colorado
                  maybe a tough win, running game late in season will help, state prevails 7-4

7-4 season-- all league games could go either way and teams are pretty evenly matched, plus we can't over look the non league teams or they will upset us. Plus we have to close better in the big games

Comment

That looks like a good set of predictions, however we will beat Cal-Davis in SF.

Comment

I like the predictions of most of the games and maybe 7-4 is not out of the question.  We need to prepare for Lacrosse as we can not afford another embarrassment that our men BB experienced this year.

You would think we could win this one big, but they could surprise us if we let them do it. No doubt Wisc Lacrosse will be coming to Brookings with an upset goal in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                        I like the predictions of most of the games and maybe 7-4 is not out of the question.  We need to prepare for Lacrosse as we can not afford another embarrassment that our men BB experienced this year.

You would think we could win this one big, but they could surprise us if we let them do it. No doubt Wisc Lacrosse will be coming to Brookings with an upset goal in mind.
                        Agreed, speculation aside, the team will focus only on LaCrosse as the season approaches. They will come in with an emotion and desire to make some waves. They have nothing to lose playing an upper division team.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would agree with the 7-4 prediction by Bisonguy.......cudos to SDSU for getting Georgia Southern at home this year.....what a heck of a game that will be.

Comment

Imagine the wave sent through the D1-AA ranks if we knocked off GSU on our home turf. I think it would undoubtadly be our greatest home win ever in the modern sports era.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                              Imagine the wave sent through the D1-AA ranks if we knocked off GSU on our home turf.  I think it would undoubtadly be our greatest home win ever in the modern sports era.
                              Imagine a win against GSU at home, and a win on the road in Missoula!!

Comment

Working...
                              X