X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Ticket sales up from last year

http://www.gojacks.com/

Season ticket sales off to fast start

With the start of the 2005 football season still seven weeks away, football season ticket sales at South Dakota State University have already surpassed the number from a year ago.

As of July 13, the Jackrabbit Ticket Office had processed requests for 776 football season tickets, nearly a 12 percent increase from the 696 season tickets sold in 2004. The 2005 season ticket package includes reserved seating for all seven Jackrabbit home games played at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium for $98 per person.

"We are very excited about the number of tickets we have sold so far, and there is plenty of time to buy single-game and season tickets," said ticket manager Christi Williams. "The excitement for Jackrabbit athletics is in the air."

SDSU’s home schedule kicks off Sept. 3 with the annual Shrine Game against Wisconsin-La Crosse. The Jackrabbits, who completed their first season at the Division I-AA level in 2004 with a 6-5 record, also will host Valparaiso (Ind.) in the Cereal Bowl on Sept. 10, Cal Poly in the Beef Bowl on Sept. 24, Missouri-Rolla in the Hobo Day game on Oct. 22, Georgia Southern on Oct. 29, Southern Utah on Nov. 5 and Northern Colorado on Nov. 19.

Both Cal Poly and Georgia Southern are ranked in the Division I-AA preseason poll conducted by Street and Smith’s magazine.

An eighth home game set for Oct. 8 against UC Davis in Sioux Falls is not included in the season ticket package, although season ticket holders purchasing tickets for that game will have the opportunity to sit in a reserved section at Howard Wood Field. . . .

All tickets can be purchased in advance over the Internet at www.gojacks.com. Ticket sales also can be completed over the phone by calling 1-866-GO JACKS, or in person at the Jackrabbit Ticket Office in the Stanley J. Marshall HPER Center weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

It is great to hear that more people are backing the Jacks with Season ticket purchases! I am actually a little surprised that our season ticket base for football isn't larger considering that we averaged 9,846 fans per game last season. That is a lot of single game/walk up, and student ID tickets.

Go State! ;D

Re: Season Ticket sales up from last year

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    I am actually a little surprised that our season ticket base for football isn't larger considering that we averaged 9,846  fans per game last season.  That is a lot of single game/walk up, and student ID  tickets.  
    Speaking from experience, there's been no incentive to buy a season ticket package. One could argue that there's really not a bad seat to be had at CAS (excluding the extreme end sections). Most people will watch the weather and show up on game day knowing they will have a good seat. Until the day when new seating could be put in at CAS season ticket sales will always lag behind MBB.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

That is a good point CatchEmAll (probably sharpened by your personal experiences), and I think the athletic department is aware of it.  Last season the athletic department started something new for Season Ticket holders and Jackrabbit Club Members that I think was aimed at you point.  Post game events that had many of the coachs (not just football), food, and libations.  It was a neat way for fans and the athletic staff to mingle.  I also met many posters from this board for the first time at those events (and you know who you are).  I really enjoyed those gatherings they were a lot of fun.  I think this was an example of a first step in adding value to the holding of season tickets.  Hopefully we can do more things like this.  I would love to see the day when our football season tickets are perceived be as valuable as our basketball season tickets are.  

Go State!  ;D

P.S. I am looking forward to the day when CAS has chairbacks for the season ticket holders and I won't have to lug my SDSU Stadium chairs in each game.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll

Speaking from experience, there's been no incentive to buy a season ticket package.  One could argue that there's really not a bad seat to be had at CAS (excluding the extreme end sections).  Most people will watch the weather and show up on game day knowing they will have a good seat.  Until the day when new seating could be put in at CAS season ticket sales will always lag behind MBB.
        Yes indeed experience is speaking here, I have bought both football and basketball season tickets nearly 20 years and if I was unhappy with my seat, I always got a change without a question. MBB is a little more tricky as there is more competition for perferred seating.

I think the changes in Football Seating THAT I REQUESTED, were more the result of the fact that the ticket staff could accommodate them and not so much as being a faithful booster. Dont get me wrong here, the Ticket Staff was always helpful and very accommodating.

We need to add incentives for tickets and would think the incentives are near the top of the HPER prodject board if such a board exists in some one's office.

We need another big winning season to build the interest here and THE  WINNING FACTOR is going to be the big. It puts  perhaps undue pressure on the coaching staff, players and even the AD, but that is what NCAA D1 athletics are all about.

Its good to see an increase, and you wonder how many of these increases were the result of wins over Southern U and NDSU. ???

Comment

This is big, good news. At first glance, it's "only" $7,200 more in SDSU's bank account for the additional 80 season tickets.

But consider that last year's season ticket package only had four games, and was $48 if I recall correctly. Having this kind of increase at double the season ticket price is significant. Also worth noting that the UC Davis game isn't included in the package--I'd certainly expect that SDSU will make a profit on that one even after expenses.

Having said all that, I fully expect that one of the next major facilities upgrades on the list will be something like 1,200-1,600 chairback seats in CAS. I think you'll see a point system similar to basketball put in place then.

But like SDSUFAN indicates, there's no better way to keep this number going up than to put a quality product out on the field. As long as we have some success at the I-AA level, we will soon (I hope) be talking about 1000+ football season ticket holders.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Another point is the extra 7,200 dollars nearly pays for a South Dakota Scholarship as indicated in the Football News letter. Cost for SD is $9,697.

Coach Stig talked about the cost of each scholarship in each state. One thing that was surprising is that the cost of an out of state scholarship is the same for Arizona and California as it is for Iowa and Nebraska 10919. The high states right now are Kansas and Wisconsin at $15,017, which really explains why we have had so few from both of these states, which have a wealth of talent.
            No question a better product is needed.

Comment

I considered buying season tickets as a show of support. Even though I knew I would only make 1 or 2 games. After some thought, it was clear that I should just increase my annual donation to the Jackrabbit club by $98. So I did that. I am happy to hear about the increase in ticket sales but what will really matter are butts in the seats on gameday. Weather and the early season on-field performance will dictate much of that.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Has SDSU started a priority seating system for football yet? I thought I remember seeing it somewhere (Carr Report?) that they should.

NDSU has about 4,700 season ticket holders, but also has a priority seating system. When the Fargodome first opened, one could get good sideline seats at a fairly low contribution level, but it's since changed. For the past few seasons, new Team Makers or people changing their level got seats according to their contributuion level, while older ticket holders could be grandfathered into a section. This year, they're restructuring the seating so that you have to be in a section that matches your contribution level no matter what.

For example, the seating arrangement allows season ticket holders seats in the endzone for $65, sideline up to the 10 yard line for $85, then from the 10-20 yard line it's an extra $75/seat, from the 20-32 an extra $200/seat, from the 33-45 an extra $300/seat, between the 45's an extra $400/seat.

Maybe if priority seating was implemented it might create a greater demand for fans to get into good seats. ???

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                  http://www.gojacks.com/

An eighth home game set for Oct. 8 against UC Davis in Sioux Falls is not included in the season ticket package, although season ticket holders purchasing tickets for that game will have the opportunity to sit in a reserved section at Howard Wood Field.  .  .  .
                  Anyone have an explanation as to why SDSU chose not to include the UC Davis game in Sioux Falls as apart of the ticket package? I thought SDSU was running the event and bussing staff to sell tickets and programs etc.
                  It seems to me the added game would not hurt season ticket sales and unless you are from Brookings traveling to SF isn't really any further. Assuming SDSU is probably renting the facilities (Howard Wood and Sioux Falls Baseball Stadium) I would think up front money is necessary to help turn a profit. Maybe SDSU was afraid it ticket prices would be to priced too high? Season ticket holders is their any other perks with the reserved seating package at Howard Wood; reserved parking, passes to tailgating etc.?
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
                    Has SDSU started a priority seating system for football yet? I thought I remember seeing it somewhere (Carr Report?) that they should.

NDSU has about 4,700 season ticket holders, but also has a priority seating system. When the Fargodome first opened, one could get good sideline seats at a fairly low contribution level, but it's since changed. For the past few seasons, new Team Makers or people changing their level got seats according to their contributuion level, while older ticket holders could be grandfathered into a section. This year, they're restructuring the seating so that you have to be in a section that matches your contribution level no matter what.

For example, the seating arrangement allows season ticket holders seats in the endzone for $65, sideline up to the 10 yard line for $85, then from the 10-20 yard line it's an extra $75/seat, from the 20-32 an extra $200/seat, from the 33-45 an extra $300/seat, between the 45's an extra $400/seat.

Maybe if priority seating was implemented it might create a greater demand for fans to get into good seats.  ???
                    No the priority system has not been implimented and with no improvements to CSA, its hard to get something like that going. A few years back, I spent a good portion of a day at Briggs libriary at SDSU photo copying the reserve copy of the Carr Report. Priority seating was a big recommendation by Carr. I see the recommendation as doable and accompolished, but not real soon.

We dont have the likeness of a Fargo Dome nor do we have the winning tradition that you have had at NDSU since the 1960's. All these things make a big difference in the number of season tickets being sold. Picking up in numbers will take time. SDSU as I stated above needs to have a very good season in terms of wins. If that dont happen, nothing will change and next year maybe only 800 tickets will be sold or maybe less.

I wish SDSU did have 4700 season ticket holders, but its going to take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by D-town

Anyone have an explanation as to why SDSU chose not to include the UC Davis game in Sioux Falls as apart of the ticket package?  I thought SDSU was running the event and bussing staff to sell tickets and programs etc.
                      It seems to me the added game would not hurt season ticket sales and unless you are from Brookings traveling to SF isn't really any further.  Assuming SDSU is probably renting the facilities (Howard Wood and Sioux Falls Baseball Stadium) I would think up front money is necessary to help turn a profit.  Maybe SDSU was afraid it ticket prices would be to priced too high?  Season ticket holders is their any other perks with the reserved seating package at Howard Wood; reserved parking, passes to tailgating etc.?
                      I am not an offical for SDSU, but as stated in the prior post have read the Carr Report. As best I can tell Fred Oien and staff have been using the reports recommendations and its become a road map.

Again Carr recommended that SDSU increase its marketability in the Sioux Falls area. This is the one and only reason the UCD game is in Sioux Falls. I am sure there are certain local merchants who benefit from local SDSU events may not like this idea of Sioux Falls events at all.

The very recent discussions of the local city council idea of inviting a Lowes to located in Brookings with subsidized city sales taxes seems to made enough heat and light to make the local merchants forget about the UCD game going to Sioux Falls.

The UCD game is the touchy subject as I understand since Saturday seems to be a good day for Brookings shoppers in Sioux Falls. The Brookings merchants wonder why perpetuate this concept by having a game in Sioux Falls.

I believe this is about the only time town and gown seem to be going their separate ways.

Comment

I have had season fb tickets for quite awhile now and I was surprised we only had sold 800 or so. I always assumed that we had a couple of thousand of season tickets sold. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as tickets are being sold. I just starting buying them years ago when I got tired of waiting even a few minutes at the window for tickets. I am surprised more people don't buy them - especially those people who go to all the games anyway. I will say though if we ever start charging a seat license for good tickets I will just move my tickets to a section where you don't have to get a license. I don't like when schools/pro teams do that but most seem to nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                        X