Valpo Head Coach resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valpo Head Coach resigns

Wow! Bad timing for the Crusaders. Valpo comes to town on Sept. 10th.

http://www.valpo.edu/athletics/index...&nrid=1988

Tom Horne Resigns As Valparaiso University’s Head Football Coach

Tom Horne, who has served as Valparaiso University’s head football coach since 1989, has announced his resignation for personal reasons, effective immediately. The University has begun the search process for a successor.

“On behalf of the University, I want to thank Coach Horne for his longstanding years of service and the championships that he brought to our program,” said Mark LaBarbera, VU’s Director of Athletics. “We want to wish him well in his future endeavors.”

In his 16 seasons at Valpo, Horne guided the Crusaders to two Pioneer Football League Championships (2003, 2000). The 2003 title was the first outright PFL crown for Valpo. The 2000 championship marked the school's first conference title in 32 years. Horne was honored as the 2003 PFL North Coach of the Year and the 1999 PFL Coach of the Year. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Valpo Head Coach resigns

Football is not Valpo's money sport. Its amazing they hung on to this coach for 16 years. It makes you wonder what his annual salary was prior to resignation.
    I noticed at the website, his prior experience was with a JUCO program and Iowa Wesleyan.

Looking at their roster, they have maybe 3 or 4 guys weighing 285. Our "fat boys" as coach Stig calls them should own the line on both sides of the ball come Sept 10.

I think non-scholarship programs are about the only problem with D1AA football. It came about as the result of U of Dayton, Villinovia and others dropping what was basically a D1A program in the 1970's and winning the D3 championship several times. SDSU played Dayton in 1977 I believe when they still had a roster of scholarship players. We did not win but would not have a problem if we played them this year.

How can you possibly expect non scholarship D1AA teams to compete with a Montana and a Maine?

Basketball and the BIG Dance bucks have created a problem for competitive D1AA football. This is just my take.

Comment

It didn't take long to find a replacement as Valpo hired in-house.

http://www.valpo.edu/athletics/index...&nrid=1989

Comment

Valpo is a very nice university. Besides a basketball arena, they have very nice large and spacious chapel. Valpo has to be a great deal like SDSU in that after spending some time on campus, you start to grow with it and become part of it. Of course going to the Big Dance in basketball makes it very interesting.  These coaches probably are not making big money and coaching football may very likely be less than a full time job. Also if a HPER major is offered, they need a faculty.

It would be great for the Great West Conference if some of the Pioneer Conference were to move towards funding scholarships, but I dont see that happening. They have just the kind of program they want to have and probably do not have problems filling schedules. There are plenty of Wisconsin Lutheran Colleges in the D3 and NAIA ranks to fill the bill.

If they stay with SDSU after the first half what would that tell us about our results for this coming season? ???

Comment

Valpo is a nice private school with a lot of basketball tradition but little football success,
          SDSUFAN, I would'nt be too concerned about Valpo hanging around too long in our upcoming game.

Comment

Texas Jack Fan

Yes I hope we have a good showing against Wisconsin LaCrosse and Valpo before heading to Missoula. There is no guarentee, and maybe thats why we play the games.

Valprasiso, is or was affliated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. They probably receive only token support from LCMS probably not much more than Augustana receives from the ELCA.  I have worked with Valpo grads, who were very well trained, but paid a great deal for their education so they have told me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
              If they stay with SDSU after the first half what would that tell us about our results for this coming season? ???
              If Valpo stays within 28 of the Jacks, it might be a long season for SDSU fans. Valpo never made it to the 50 yard line, let alone cross it, against NDSU last year.

I wouldn't expect a different outcome for Valpo in Brookings this year than what they had in Fargo last year.

Comment

Working...
              X